1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

grand canyon

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Karleen77, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karleen77

Karleen77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi I would like to go to the Grand Canyon next month during our visit to Vegas. I am looking for a good deal and recommendations on a tour. I would love to do the Helicopter tour, but I think it's out of our budget. I'm thinking spending $100 or less per person.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought the group- on deal $90 includes lunch and breakfast snack. tip for busdriver another$10. i thought it was a great deal. Picked me up at my hotel and left me off, door to door. hope you find what you want.:licklips:

3. tony31

tony31 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did grandcayontourcompany.com and the south rim bus tour is $79 right now per person, they also have the west rim for $139 and that includes going on the skywalk. Both of these tours also include a morning snack (which that is exactly what it is...A Snack), and you do get a full lunch on the trip. Shuttle will pick you up at your hotel and you will be brought back to your hotel after the tour. Expect to be gone from around 6:15am till 8:00 pm or so. Very good tour. Well worth it. :peace:

4. mmyers81

mmyers81 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone know of a deal on the helicopter tours for grand canyon? thats what my husband and i want to do and this is our 1st ever trip there:) in late october 2012

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long are those bus tours? My wife really wants to see the GC, but I don't care for helicopters much. Spent too much time in them and strangely never get used to it.

6. chrisn42

chrisn42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bus tours are usually 16 hours or so. Like someone mentioned above expect to be gone from 6:30 am to 8:30 pm. They are longgg trips!

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI - I just added a discount for a bus trip in this thread - https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=695154#post695154

The bus tours are much cheaper than the helicopter tours, but they take a lot longer. Many people have complained to me that it's too much bus, not enough canyon. Many others have raved about it. But know how much riding you have to do on these tours.

Another inexpensive option is to rent a car for the day and drive yourself out there. Even better, rent a car and stay one night out at the canyon before heading back to Vegas.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. The rental car overnight plan was my original idea, but if I could put my wife on a bus all day while I stayed in vegas...

Nevermind, forget I said anything :wink2:

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to try a bus tour next week. I'll be back afterwards with a review.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike :haha: Your secret is safe with us.

If she doesn't mind being on a bus most of a day, she might love it. Most of the tours have stops and guides that give you info on the trip. Like I said, some people love them, but most of the complaints I've heard are about all that time sitting on the bus. For someone like me, that is torture. I prefer to drive myself.

11. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She would love it if she had someone with her. I would not love it. So we're kind of stuck.

12. Treawest17

Treawest17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one is for Papillon, my husband and I used them in 2002. Went over Hoover Dam, landed in the Canyon, had luch at the bottom of the Canyon, and got engaged. DH says "he couldn't get any lower", he's such a charmer.

http://www.smartervegas.com/tours/helicopter/coupons.aspx

13. Ruark

Ruark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on the GC bus tours twice. As others have pointed out, they are loooooonngg bus rides, 5 -6 hours each way. Spend maybe a couple of hours at the actual Grand Canyon. I think ours left at 7 a.m. and we got out in front of our hotel about 10:30 pm, quite tired.

The bus drivers try to be amusing, telling silly jokes back over their shoulder. There are movies on the bus TVs, but of course they are family fare. Ours was "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" (ahem, cough).

If you can spare an entire day for this, and you've never seen the GC before, you might consider it. And the GC is really impressive. But again, it's a long, LONG trip. If you're not comfortable sitting in a bus seat for long periods of time (e.g. hemorrhoids, diarrhea, constipation, poor circulation, very obese, whatever..) you might give it a second thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.