1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WICKED...the musical!

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by GREGRIO, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

I LOVED IT!
    For those who have tickets, you're in for a real treat.
    For those who don't but would like to catch it before it leaves (Oct. 7th),
    call The SMITH CENTER and check availability 1.702.749.2000 however...
    the hourglass has been turned over and the sand is running out...you don't
    have much time left 'my pretty', only 3 more weeks before WICKED moves on.

So much happened before Dorothy dropped in. I knew very little about WICKED.
    I surfed their website www.wickedthemusical.com
    I Googled and YouTubed but nothing prepared me for what to expect in re to
    the story line.

Long before that girl from Kansas arrives in Munchkinland, two girls meet in
    college in the land of Oz.
    One born with emerald green skin-is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other
    is beautiful, ambitious and very popular.

To fully 'get it'...it's very important to pay close attention to both the spoken
    word and the lyrics in the songs. Together, you'll learn how these two grow to
    become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good.
    You'll also learn about infidelity, seeing beyond the surface, animal and human
    rights, why 'Elphaba' (the Wicked Witch) and the Wonderful Wizard of Oz don't
    share the same feelings for fathers day, and how the Tin Man and Scarecrow
    became...the Tin Man and Scarecrow.

WICKED is funny and touching...the costumes are marvelous, the stage sets and
    special effects are impressive...and the music and songs along with a full live
    orchestra are just great!

If I may suggest a very important tip...HEADPHONES.
    The SMITH CENTER has a most excellent, state of the art sound system however...
    most of the touring Shows like WICKED, carry their own sound systems and prefer
    to use them.
    It can be hard to hear for some folks as I noticed during my visits to 'The Color Purple'
    and 'MEMPHIS'. You don't have to have a hearing problem...it's just that the sound can
    be a bit muddy or maybe not as loud as you'd prefer to be able to pick up every word
    said (or sung) on stage.

The SMITH CENTER offers FREE headsets to anyone who wants one...they're very cool!
    They're linked directly into the mics of the performers and orchestra.
    You hear everything crisp and clear, they're lite weight, you have your own volume control
    and they're just wonderful. (wish I'd known about 'em the last 4 Shows I've seen there...)
    I kept taking mine off to compare but for me...they were best kept on.
    Don't get me wrong, you'll hear everything...you'll just hear better/clearer with the headsets.

If you miss WICKED in Vegas, check out their tour schedule on their official website...it's
    traveling all over.
    This particular cast is very, very, good.
    NICOLE PARKER (Elphaba) is just a joy. Her 6 years on MADtv along with many other
    stage and movie appearances, gives her the experience to deliver Elphaba to us with
    a wonderful variety of emotions...she's just great!

I got to go 2 nights. I watched from the upper rear in Dress Circle, then a couple nights
    later from up front in Gold Circle...both views very good but I prefer down front for musicals.

WICKED will come to my Bay Area and be in San Francisco from January 23 to early February 17.
    As soon as tickets go on sale, I'm seeing WICKED again!

2. boboswisher

boboswisher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wicked is amazing. I've seen it six times in three different cities over the last five years, and will see it again next chance I get. I literally get chills every single time I see "Defying Gravity" performed at the end of act one.

3. TXCajuns

TXCajuns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw it in Austin, and were amazed. It is absolutely awesome. I'm not sure about the location in Vegas, but we were glad we had opera glasses so we could see close ups of the cast and especially expressions on their faces.

4. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't it FABULOUS!!! I knew you'd love it!

Glad you enjoyed it. It's my new all time favorite.

:love:

5. Liztoybiz

Liztoybiz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you on Wicked Gregrio!!!
    I've seen it 3x in Houston, 6 times in NYC and once in London. London was the only disappointing show as the acoustics were pretty bad in that venue but agreed completely and suggest you get the soundtrack. It won't spoil the story for those who haven't seen it yet but will add to your enjoyment as you often don't catch each line the first time you see it. Each actress will put their own spin on the lead roles but I've never seen a bad performance of this. If you're a big Wicked fan, there is a great behind the scenes tour most Saturdays for a nominal fee that explains the way it started, shows actual costumes, explains how they duplicate it for each city, and even show some of the mechanics of operating the staging and stunts. It's 'wicked good'! Sorry, couldn't resist that...
    Gregrio, be sure to keep your playbill, it's fun to see who plays which role in the different viewings and track which broadway shows they later go on to star in!
    ps. Love your San Fran...

Liz
    Vegas in 12 days and taking a Vegas virgin with us!!

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greg - if you really want to understand it better- read the book before you see it again:peace: (though the musical doesn't follow the book exactly - but few do....)

7. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just received an email from the ElCortez, $10 off an entree at the Flame Steakhouse and a free cocktail at the Parlour Bar for Smith Center ticket holders through October 7th.

9. Aceman55

Aceman55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gregrio,
    Where do you get the headsets? Will be going on teh 7th. The last night. Thanks.

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

There's a counter 'Aceman55' just to the LEFT of the
    main staircase that leads up to the MEZZ level...
    they're righ there.

12. Aceman55

Aceman55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they question to see if your hearing impared or is that no big deal.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cannot imagine they would ever do something like that. Does it really matter *why* you need the service they state they provide for free?

(our local performing arts center does not ask any questions - you request headphones, turn in your ID, and head off to your seat....)

14. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

There's a counter just to to the LEFT of the staircase leading
    up to the MEZZ level 'Acemann55', you'll find 'em there.

Also note:
    From what I've read (THANKS 'ah6tyfour'), Nicole Parker will/or has...left the role as
    Elphaba (she's a busy gal...). Her replacement Dee Rosscioli, looks real good too and
    has played the role of Elphaba longer than any other actor.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  15. beckers

beckers Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am tickled pink I saw this show and LOVED it as well!! We were in the right orchestra and in the balcony just above us the Goodman's were seated. What a wonderful, awesome evening it was:thumbsup: The play will be in our town in the Spring. I am sorry to hear Nicole is leaving. I thought she was the THE best of the them all.

btw Greg cabs were lined up and no problem at all. We just came out the door and hopped in.....of course we had to listen to our our cabbie going off about waiting 45 minutes for a $5 fare to Golden Nugget. He was not pleasant at all, but that is whole nother topic.

We shall always look to see what is playing at the Smith Center from now on and what a lovely place it is I must say.

16. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

The headsets are for anyone...no questions. You trade 'em for
    your drivers license and switch back after the Show.

Cabs were waiting after my Show too...maybe they're catching on
    or maybe it was just the guaranteed crowd after WICKED.
    Silly though, there's always fares after ANY Show there.

Yes, Nicole Parker is leaving or has already gone...(25th I thought???)
    In any event, DEE ROSCIOLI looks like a great Elphaba also!
    Dee has played Elphaba more than any other actor.

17. btaller

btaller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the opportunity to see Wicked on September 12th. Third Row. I ended up leaving at the half (which I have never done before for any show).

While I love the musical and enjoy seeing it on Broadway, I was bothered by the vocal direction of the tour cast. They seemed to speed up and pause the vocals at strange times. It just never seemed clear or fluid. Plus, while I do enjoy the comedy aspects, they seemed to go way too far especially for the song Popular.

It wasn't bad, and most people were really enjoying it, just not me.

For those looking for an alternative to cabbing, the SDX goes right by the Smith Center. It's about a two minute walk to the street and the stop is right there. I was downtown in less than 5 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.