1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Would a vile restaurant review deter you from visiting that restaurant?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by JWBlue, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read reviews for a restaurant. 90% were good. I want to try the food there.

I read one review where the person found a finger nail in their food.

I am :vomit: and not sure I want to go any more. Am I overreacting?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take all reviews, especially on the internet, good or bad, with a grain of salt. There is so much inaccuracy, bias, and so on, that it is very difficult to filter out the irrelevant. I do however look for trends in places with lots of reviews from several sources.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least it wasn't the whole finger.:evillaugh

4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you are overreacting. One bad opinion out of many -- well some people have agendas. If you see all bad reviews (cough: Chris Angel cough) then avoid it.

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the most part, I am not one of those people that believes in conspiracy theories or that a lot of people have agendas when posting bad reviews.

Are there some people who post false reviews for a purpose? Maybe but probably few and far between.

For this discussion, lets assume that this review is legitimate.

6. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There have been reports of online retailers pumping up certain products, or manufacturers paying people to post good reviews all over for them, and I personally know a store owner who has a guy with a grudge constantly posting negative on google reviews about him, so it does happen quite a bit.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, then instead of conspiracy, lets just say one person was having a bad day. Or one waiter was having a bad day. Or something that the one person ate just wasn't to their taste. Regardless, one bad review out of many is an outlier, and should be ignored.

Now if there are 90 good and 20 bad, then I might think there's something there, and would start to look at what the 20 people are seeing that's bad, and if I might see it the same way (for example, if 15 of those reviews mentioned a poor wine list, I'd ignore that because I don't drink wine.)

8. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends I suppose

If I go to a restaurant and I am grossed out, I won't return. I have a few on that list. My own personal opinion and circumstance.

I know if it is supposed to be a good restaurant I am the special circumstance. I was the unlucky one but I still won't return no matter if someone else is paying.

But if I had visited the restaurant numerous times, and I have always had a good or great experience I would go back.

9. ssyx

ssyx Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like an isolated incident, wouldn't prevent me from visiting.
    Several reviews of bad service or low quality food etc would sway me more.

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    would not deter me.

think about it. People are super picky about some things, hotel rooms and resteraunts are 2 of them.

If there was a trend of poor reviews i might think twice but just a few tells me that there are just some picky people nitpicking things.

11. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A random review on the Internet? No way.

However, if it was someone I knew and trusted then it would probably have an impact on making me want to go there.

12. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read somewere before than 90% of the people who take the time to write a review/comment on a website do so to complain

People who are satisfied dont make a big deal out of it

13. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer to go with word of mouth from people I know & whose opinions I trust over internet reviews.

But if the internet is my only resource, I am in the camp that believes your best bet is to look for trends in multiple locations - one or two bad reviews somewhere? Could be a fluke, could be someone with an agenda, could be someone looking to settle a score. But if generally feedback on a place - and I would say this applies to all businesses, not just restaurants - if feedback is consistently overwhelmingly positive or negative across a number of different sites, I've found that's generally a pretty good indicator of how good or bad a place actually is.

14. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its actually not really few and far between.

There are people that do it to try and hurt a business... that do it to hurt a competitor... that do it because they had a small bone to pick with the restaurant and it alone isn't big enough to make their point so they have to keep complaining to get people to listen to them... that do it because they want the restaurant to contact them with a "Sorry you had a bad experience, why don't you come back for a free meal on us?"... that do it because they had one small incident that they are blowing out of proportion...

Even if the review is legitimate you have to assume it is a one off situation, that or else you believe that they are constantly serving chunks of fingers in their food.

Stuff happens, could be this restaurant, could be another. One off incidents like that might seem gross and disgusting but the key is how the restaurant responded. Because most of their food is going to be prepackaged from a third party there are always going to be the chance of incidents happening and if this restaurant wasn't the one that got a can or bag of whatever with a fingernail in it then it would have been another.

15. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, it could happen anywhere. I would still go if it was a place I scoped out.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rely on the majority opinion, especially if it's that one-sided. There's weird people everywhere... they see crazy stuff and ALWAYS take the contrary opinion seemingly just to get a rise. Sounds like the place is worth a try.

17. reneevegas

reneevegas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would not deter me. 90% is a good rating.

18. Frisky

Frisky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A negative review would not deter me as I think a lot of internet restaurant reviews are family and friend initiated. If there was a finger nail in my food I would not pay and would leave the restaurant.
    We all know we have been to restaurants that are highly rated and when we go there we wonder how in the world did they get such a positive/good rating. We try to rely on friends or others for input. Some of the best best local eateries in hotels have been recommended by desk clerks or bellmen.

19. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a very good way to look at it.

20. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about input from say, a legit inspection resource,(governmental or regulatory) or would that be suspect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.