1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

L 'Atelier v Joel Robuchon

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Michelle, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle

Michelle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know JR is more formal, other than that if i eat at L 'Atelier am I really missing out??? I am would love to do the 16 course meal, but there is no way i could eat it all. Is the experience much differen?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's a very different experience, but that doesn't make JR better. i thought JR was too stuffy and a more relaxed atmosphere at L'Atelier would be welcomed.

3. Whale83

Whale83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have not eaten at L'Atelier so I cannot comment on that.

JR was worth every penny for the 16 course tasting menu. The portions were appropriately sized. Even with two rounds at the bread cart, I was only completely full after the last course. Even my wife, who is a much less accomplished eater than I am, finished every course. Without a doubt one of the best meals of my life.

The Mansion setting is very formal, and I can understand why some would find the experience a little stuffy. The service is very French. Still, I found the staff accessible and happy to open up if you asked about the dish, the restaurant, or JR. You do feel like you need to be on your best behavior, but you should for what everyone in the room is paying!

After the meal, we were invited to go back to the kitchen to meet Chef and tour the facility. Very impressive.

By the way, the MGM will send a complimentary gold limo. The restaurant hostess will come walk you through the private entrance to the restaurant. The walk through the MGM's apartments and gardens and past the high rollers room is quite impressive.

4. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think of Joel Robuchon as the big brother of L'Atelier in every way: food, service and atmosphere. The 16 course meal is indeed a lot of food, but as long as you steer (mostly) clear of the bread cart, you'll be fine. I failed to follow that advice during my first trip there, and was waaaaaaaaaaay too full by the time mignardises arrived.

Having said that, L'Atelier is still a very fine choice. It's fun sitting at the food bar, the food is similar in style to JR, and the quality is definitely there. To play the numbers game, I'd rate JR as number 1 or 2 in town, and L'Atelier somewhere between 5 and 10.

Either way, you'll have a great time!

5. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pretty much how I view the two. I've only been to L'Atelier once because every time I consider going there a part of me says "Why not walk 30 feet over and eat at JR?".

I think it depends on the crowd though. I like JR as just my wife and I, L'Atelier as a group.

6. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't eaten a JR, but isn't the 16 course meal a 4 hour extravaganza? Yes I said 4 hours for dinner!

7. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure it's 4 hours....it's not quick!

8. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four hours is about right -- although if you ask them to hurry, you could do it in three.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.