1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Much Do You Use Your Mute Button ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I know some people might find this excessive -- but
    I mute EVERY commercial......doesn't matter "what"
    or "When"........always MUTE.
    I even mute Super Bowl commercials.
    I turn down the car radio when commercials come on, too.
    BTW, the most annoying commercials are on radio.
    You know the ones, where they make up a reason to SCREAM !!!!!
    Sometimes, they don't even make up a reason.....
    they just SCREAM !!!!!!
    I just hate commercials.:grrr:

2. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A big reason the DVR fee and sirius/xm radio subscriptions are tolerable costs!

USBC Nationals
  3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally I have a second show to flip to, or I can use the PVR to bypass the commercials, or I'm doing other things, so I'll let the commercials run but won't be watching the TV.

With radio I'll just flip it.

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I DVR EVERYTHING. It's amazing how short a newscast or any show is when you bypass the commercials. An hour show is less than a half an hour of my time.

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mute them all, but there are certain ones that are annoying, that we mute. We also turn the channel every time a Humane Society commercial comes on. Their commercials are heartbreaking, and unfortunately for them, makes me choose a different animal organization to donate my money to.

I love watching my favorite shows on On-Demand through my cable, but now some of them are getting smart and won't let you fast forward through the commercials :(

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also DVR everything but sports. Advertizers aren't reaching me, except maybe during a Packer or Brewer game.

In the car, commercials come on and it's an immediate station search for music.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not very often. DVR everything and listen to CDs/iPod in the car and Pandora at home. only time i might need it is watching live sports, which i refuse to DVR. but i keep the volume down pretty low anyway, so the commercials don't bother me.

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Am I the only one who DVR’s sports? Other than Saturdays and Sundays during football season (when there are so many games on at the same time that I have to be constantly changing channels), I can’t stand watching games with having DVR’d them. Three hours worth of hackneyed sound bites meant to pass as game analysis and commercials every two or three minutes for an hour’s worth of actual action? Give me the DVR version!

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto! I never watch or listen to anything live. Not being a big sports fan, this is not an issue for me:peace:

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use my mute button all the time. Either that or I change channels.

One of the commercials that bug me the most is that bald guy trying to get you to send money so these third world kids would have clothes and an education or something. I just want to tell him...."hey, tell the parents to use condoms". I can't see sending them money if they keep making babies when they can't afford it and we have to bail them out. No amount of money will help the majority of kids if they keep reproducing like rabbits and overpopulating the world. (sorry will get off my soap box now). With that commercial I always change the channel or do something else. The commercial seems to go on forever unlike most commercials that only go on for a minute.

The other commercial is the cancer center one. At least they cut the commercial down to a minute or two recently but I hated to watch what was like a 5 minute commercial when they first started airing it. So amazing that someone had their cancer miraculously disappear after she visited this place, what a scam.

Maybe others like that allstate commercials with that guy (I'm your .....) but I can't stand him or the commercial, especially since they started to run "hawaii" commercials on the radio. In the begging it wasn't that bad but when they had him act like a jogging girl he just bugged the heck out of me and I hated his commercials ever since. I don't mind the allstate commercials with the low voice guy (the guy that was on 24) but I absolutely hate this other guy. Hey, bit of trivia, did you know the black guy in the allstate commercials was in the charlie sheen movie, major league? Yes he played the baseball player Pedro Serrano (the one with the voodoo stuff).

We have usual infomercials (oxy clean, sham wow, etc.) that I always change the channels. Not that I want someone to die I was glad that he passed away, his voice was one of the most irritating things on TV.

Hey, you guys ever notice the volume for the commercials are much louder than the tv show? I hate that, you're watching your show, then all of the sudden you have to reach for the remote to lower the volume of the commercials. Lately I have just put the tv on mute so I don't have to hear all the commercials. The same thing occurs on the radio, bugs the crap out of me, lol.

Hey Joe, thanks to creating this thread, thought that I was the only one irritated by these commercials.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once or twice a NFL season if we have plans in the early afternoon and we know we are going somewhere where we won't accidentally catch the score of the Packer game, we'll DVR. We have season tickets for two regular season games and other than that, there is no place I would prefer to watch a game but in front of our 56" TV at home. LIVE!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Spotify Premium and Tivo, I never have to listen to a commercial. I love it.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just picked up a Roku, we can watch Netflix movies and TV shows in high definition. I am catching up on past episodes of Breaking Bad. Its amazing that each episode is about 46 minutes, so when I watch it on regular tv, about 25% of my time is wasted on commercials, of which I would estimate one quarter of them are for other tv programs. I am tempted to get a Digital over the air antenna and dump "cable".

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even turn on my computer speakers unless I have to. It's not often I have the car radio on either. My husband is Mr. Noisy, I take whatever silence I can get as a blessing.

15. Alasted

Alasted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My cable provider's channel guide plays Hawaiian music, so I always hit mute before switching to that channel.

16. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so with you on this issue. I change the channel immediately, can't bear to watch and I dislike that this organization would use such images to try to get money out of me. That's why I give to local no-kill shelters and national organizations like Best Friends Animal Society (they concentrate on the positive results of their work, it's so uplifting). As for commercials in general, the noise difference from the show actually hurts my ears sometimes. My mute button is almost worn away from use.

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the CALM act not in effect yet?

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. I am a channel surfer so it doesn't bother me that much. But I find I am more likely to pause live TV than hit mute. I can get stuff done and then fast forward through the commercials.

I can't stand the animal cruelty ads, either but since I am up in the middle of the night, the cancer hospital ones really end up on my nerves. They buy on every station twice an hour all night long!

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We record everything the watch later so we fast forward through all commercials.

20. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my first DVR about 6 years ago ( I know, latecomer) and I love it. Heck, I will record a show that I could watch live just to avoid the commercials. What bothers me more about commercials these days is not the noise or crass appeal but just the way they insult our intelligence. If I drink certain beers, I get a bevy of bikini clad girls hanging over me, and every freaking insurance company in the world can save me money!

Now since I travel quite a bit for my job, just wished I could figure out how to carry portable DVR with me for the hotel.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.