1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games What is a good basic blackjack strategy?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by JWBlue, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Something where I don't have to think too much.

This is the one I generally use. Is this too basic?

Are the odds better when more decks are being used?

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more decks the worse the odds. That is a little to basic, you also need to know when to double down and spit.

I learned basic strategy from the page below. If you study it and do the flash cards he talks about you can have the whole thing memorized in a couple days. I also printed out the decision chart small enough so it fits in my pack of smokes, then if I get a hand I'm unsure about I can just look down at the table and its right there.

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackjack-school/blackjack-lesson-01.php

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sure that's the simple part. the complicated part of BS is when to double, split and surrender, which you have to memorize. also a dealer 2 isn't really a stiff. they make hands out of those more often than not. you always want to hit a 2 against a 2 and often a 3 against a 2, although that's personal preference.

4. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want a BASIC system recommended for best player advantage just stop at the gift shop and ask for a strategy card (sometimes tables will even have them for you). Then just follow the card.

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think I have read somewhere to never do these things.

Would it be annoying for the other players and dealer to bring one of these strategy cards to the table?

[​IMG]

I imagine it would be annoying for everyone.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not even close to true. If you don't do the doubles or splits the house edge goes way up.

Players won't mind the card as long as you aren't staring at it every hand. You can also ask the dealer/pit boss often what the right move is (they dont care if you play perfect BS, you'll still lose in the long run).

7. Vimes

Vimes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wizard has a simple strategy card that boils it down to 21 cells for only a minor cost in house edge vs. the full basic strategy. If I didn't want to learn basic, this is what I'd use.

http://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/

8. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the way to make this work is, sit at the far right seat at a crowded table. That will give me the most time to look at the strategy card.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your timer says South Point. CBJN says that all SP's tables are hit soft 17. About 2/3 of them are six deck and 1/3 are double deck. So, if you do decide to learn a basic strategy, make sure to learn one of those two (if SP is where you plan on playing).

The strategy that you posted appears to be for a shoe game where the dealer stands on soft 17.

It isn't going to make a big difference, certainly. But, if you're going to put in the effort to learn, might as well learn the ones that'll help you the most.

10. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you shouldn't need to look at it every hand anyway. most hands are simple. only the borderline hands will you have to look and even then, as you play, you should be able to start to memorize the correct plays and use it less and less.

11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. In 5 minutes of "study", you'll have 90% of the hands down pat. No one will care if you pull out your "cheat sheet" for the other few. In fact, you'll probably have others asking you for help once they see you have the sheet/card.

12. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't be afraid to pull out a card at all..shows the other players you do not want to upset any 'Rythym' going on if the cards are going well for the players..And yes a dealer 2 or 3 up is hittable..and if you do not have a card and in a decent dealer's favor by playing a $1 chip on the side for him,just ask his advice on the situation..Dealers want the house money as much as we do.

13. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind players playing badly but I very much dislike it when they play slowly.

Dealer has a 6 showing:
    Idiot: "Hmmm... I have 17, what should I do?"
    Friend: "Stay"
    Idiot: "Dealer, what do you think?"
    Dealer: "Stay"
    Idiot (to me): "What do you think?"
    Me: "Do whatever you want, but the book says to Stay."
    Idiot (to friend): "Do you really think I should stay?"
    Friend: "Yes"
    Idiot: "I dunno, I'm really feeling it, I think I'm going to hit"
    *busts*
    Idiot: "Wait, what do I have? 23? No, 10 + 7 + 6 =... hold on, one sec"