1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fremont Street Bars - Safe for tourists ?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by Donnie UK, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donnie UK

Donnie UK Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading back to Vegas in September for trip number 5. Never really hit the bars of downtown as I always thought it was a no go zone however I keep reading about Insert Coins, Griffin, DCR and really fancy checking them out. We are a group of 3 x 35 year old guys from England who are looking for a few beers and a good time (no trouble). Would we stick out a mile or is it worth venturing outside of the canopy to see what DT really has to offer ?

2. techie223

techie223 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not the nicest walk in the world, but we (2 women) go to the bars every visit and have had no problems. There's usually a good police presence and quite a few people around. I wouldn't go past the El Cortez, but I don't think there's much down there anyway.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like any big city, you have to use common sense, but we walk it all the time, day & very late night w/o any problems.
    I do agree with Techie, no reason to go east of El Cortez.:nono:

4. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll be just fine mate......

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The area is just fine... agree with the above... no reason to go east of the El Cortez.

6. tola_dk

tola_dk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm from a small town of just 3000 people in the sleepiest part of Denmark. Last year i made the walk to The Vestern(RIP) without getting mugged of shot. I was however offerd both green(weed) and speed on the way, but nothing too scarry.
    I would say go for it.

Tobias

7. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bars on East Fremont can be full of twenty-something Hipsters at times. They can and will stare at you with looks of scorn and derision.

Other than that, I have experienced no problems.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.

Bill

9. thenuke1

thenuke1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im 26 and i go to vegas with my 24/yo girlfriend.

having been to downtown and loved it ... i wouldn't stay there past 12:30am .... it just gets kinda sketchy

Bars are safe your good from 8pm-midnight but when you see them starting to close, its probably best to clear out of downtown.

10. Oxygenator

Oxygenator Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clear out od downtown after midnight? What happens then? Murderous gangs take over? Crazy statements all through this thread.

11. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uhhh yeah. Definitely between the canopy and el cortez is fine. I, too, made the walk back from the Western after dark and it was fine.

12. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a guy ask me for a quarter once on my way back to El Cortez, pretty scary, huh???? Geeze, guys, it's not a combat zone, just be aware of your surroundings. If you survive the Strip, walking downtown is a snap!

Jimbo338

13. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be 50 this August and traveled to EVERY bar East of the canopy last summer and then hit The Western (man I loved that place, $1.00 craps). Not only did I have a great time, i stayed out till about 2:00 am without a sideways glance from anyone. I would not go into the Beauty Bar after 12:00 but only because it is a much younger crowd. The Griffin is a great mix of people and a must for the 70's Ron Jerermy vibe going on, you have to see he place.

14. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hipsters are a bunch of pussies, they're more scared of you than you are of them.

15. ebuzz7

ebuzz7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sister and I have done it several times after the husbands have crapped out and went to bed. Not problem one.

16. Donnie UK

Donnie UK Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brilliant. Thanks for all of the responses. On paper Freemont looks like the closest thing to an old fashioned pub crawl you can get and the beer prices are way better than that on the strip. Will definately give it a go and looking forward to planning out a route !

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I get along with the downtown type 20-boppers. I see a difference between them and the ones that many call doosh-bags which do the scene in those oh-so-trendy clubs on the Strip.

But back to the question of safety and comfort, I don't know if I would walk it alone at 4:00am, but the stretch between the canopy and the bars is well-traveled and I assume there are all kinds of security folks there. Beauty Bar usually has a bouncer right outside, for example.

The only time I remember feeling unsafe downtown was a few years back when I tried to get one of my so-called friends to walk me down to the old Nevada Hotel to take some photos. I ended up going alone (daytime) and when I got just south of the Plaza this wino glared at me with this "what are you doing on my turf?" stare so I quickly took a few shots and slithered into the Plaza south entrance!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walking Downtown

Most people don't know much about downtown other than Fremont Street. There has been a lot of renewal going on with government buildings (city, county, federal) immediately south of Fremont. The new downtown transit station is about three blocks south of the Golden Nugget.

Immediately behind the Golden Nugget, backing up to it, is the women's jail. A friend of mine was staying at the Nugget last year and having a cigarette out back. A woman asked if she could have a smoke. He gave her one, and she said it was her first cigarette in a long time. He asked why, and she said she'd just been released from the jail. He didn't know it was right there.

To the north, the new Mob Museum opened in the old court house, and there are a couple of new bars/restaurants trying to make a go of it. The Lady Luck is supposedly being renovated, but at a snail's pace. Zappos is moving their headquarters from Henderson to downtown in 2013. It will be where the old transit center was. The CEO lives in the Ogden, one of the failed highrise condo projects that is now rentals near El Cortez.

Anyway, sort of off-topic, but where I'm going with this is that you can pretty much walk anywhere within a several block radius of Fremont during the day. You may see some transients, but I've never been bothered other than the occasional "Can you spare a buck?" (I'm from Seattle, the panhandling capital of the U.S., so this doesn't bother me).
    I'm always surprised with how clean they keep downtown compared to the strip, even away from Fremont. It may look dirty because it's not new, but pay attention and you'll notice there's almost no litter. Police cars or bicycle cops are pretty prevalent as well.

At night, you can still go north a couple of blocks off Fremont (Main Street Station, California, and environs) and east to El Cortez, but I don't go far south. There really isn't anything in that direction anyway.

19. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    downtown ok.

ive walked to all of the bars past the canopy-up to 2am.ive had more bums looking for beer money in my home town than downtown.lol.:wink2::beer::drunk:

20. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Its a bit more active than Ebletoft..... :d

Stick to Main Street Station down to the Plaza then along Fremont to El Cortez. In that area you'll be ok any time of day or night. I speak from experience !!

as a group that isn't getting homeless, fighty drunk like a 17 year old on snakebite then you'll be fine pretty much anywhere just off that area too (like hogs and heifers).

I've been with a freind who got "must sleep on the floor right here right now" drunk on main street right outside the gate and we had no problems at all. Security made sure we were ok.

just use the usual common sense rules that apply to any city and it should be fine.

BTW very good beers at MSS (microbrew at the bar and very good prices) and then just follow your instincts. A fine place to get your ale on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.