1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Las Vegas going Broadway...

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by GREGRIO, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

It sorta looks like the Las Vegas property/entertainment managers have had
    their fill of CIRQUE Shows too huh...Yet, even though some have tried
    Broadway Shows in the past without much luck...5 soon to be vacant showrooms
    and 5 rumored Shows/acts keep poppin' up in the various Vagas rags, rumor mills,
    and these here message boards

It's kinda like musical chairs right now. The Plazzo with one room to fill, The Vanetian
    with 2, and rumored Harrah's and RIO switching or adding new Shows.

The contenders...Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Book of Mormon, Faith Hill & Tim McGraw...
    Legends in Concert possibily to RIO in Sept. and Million Dollar Quartet into Harrah's.
    Rock Of Ages is the only Show to be confirmed going into the Venetian's Blue Man Group Theater,
    leaving Plazzo, CET, and the Venetian's Phantom Theater to confirm their new residents.

Then came the story last week or so, that secret auditions for a Las Vegas based
    Spider-Man had been held because...the rigging for the Phantom's chandelier would work
    great for Spidie's flying scenes yet Spider-Man had been ruled out months ago by
    those in the Vegas Showbiz know. Actually, 'they' only know what
    they're told by the properties and the properties just like to keep us in rumor mode until they
    figure out what the hell they're gonna spend/make/loose money on this time.
    ANYONE HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT 'AVENUE Q'?..................naw, me neither (but it was cool!)

2. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never got to see Avenue Q at WYNN. Was too busy seeing LE REVE every night. I wonder how those two Broadway-lite shows are doing at NY NY. I don't believe WHOREHOUSE is doing well at Plaza.

3. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

I think you're right Sam...WH is all yack 'n no sack plus
    the whole productions sounds like a high school quality
    stage show.
    AVENUE Q, SPAMALOT still have their audiences...just
    not in Las Vegas.
    Even though I'm excited about the new Shows coming in, I'll
    miss PHANTOM. Got a tic for it's closing night Sept. 2nd...
    that should be pretty bitter sweet and next year...
    lots of new stuff to check out!

4. KevinSTP

KevinSTP High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny, I would think Spiderman would do better in Vegas than on Broadway. There's more of a mainstream audience coming to Vegas shows (both in numbers and per capita) than going to a Broadway show at any given time.

As long as they keep the prices reasonable for said mainstream crowds though.

5. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Reasonable prices...in VeGAS...FOR SHOWS?...lol

6. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the new Cirque shows have been terrible, so I'm liking the broadway idea. If they pick good shows that everyone can enjoy.

I like the big headliner ideas too, but I hate that they are always SO expensive. I just can't spend $200 a ticket.

Is the MJ show still going to Mandalay?

7. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Isn't Wicked doing a limited run at Caesars this fall?

Great show BTW, I've seen it on and off Broadway

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it really depends on the show. hate to say it but the title alone makes difference too.

no way am i going to see pricilla queen if the desert even though it mught be the best show ever. right away its a tough sell for half the people.

jersey boys and phantom are doing fine so not all of them are doomed.

spiderman would be a good one, has lots of appeal.

never see les mis in vegas and everyone loves it and it would most likely work great.

also the pricing is insane for alot of these. that really keeps me from seing more shows, they just cost too damn much comaperd to other things.

i am staying at the plaza this week, 5 nights for $165. 2 discount tix for love are $140. the value just doesnt add up for me.

I do have 2 ideas that would work great for downtown.

daytime shows bith of them.

1- maury. paternity tests, cheating spouses. I am sure there would be plenty of townsfolk who would jump at the chance of a free paternity test and a free dinner or whatever and in trade we could hear all their dirty secrets and drink beer and cheer and boo while doing it. I would pay to see this for sure. hell, i would get season tickets.

2- the gong show- everyone loves the lousy acts that make no bones about being lousy. again good audience booing oand cheering. lots of fun when beer is added to the mix as well.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know about Caesars but Wicked will be at the Smith Center Aug 29-Oct 7

10. Aero22

Aero22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me Priscilla is the epitome of a Vegas show

Loud, brash, 70,s disco music, drag queens, unimaginable amounts of glitter and outrageous costumes. Both times I have seen it, I was thinking that it was the perfect Vegas show Priscilla would blow any Cirque out of town

11. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Yeah, I'm hoping it makes it into one of the Vegas
    theatres too...it sounds like lots of fun!

It's 3:30am Sunday 24th....I'm off to 'you know where', got a hot
    tic at the JOINT for the 'Dukes of September Rhythm Review' tonight...
    see ya Monday!

12. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw jersey boys at Paris. Maybe 3/4 full. Was surprised!

13. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Maybe that's it, but I remember seeing the logo in one of my CET mailers and a stay at Caesars, so I guess it was an assumption it was AT Caesars

14. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, I still remember Avenue Q from my very first trip! I almost bought tickets in advance but somehow knew my buddies wouldn't be up for going. Then after a looong week in town, we went to the 1/2 price booths to find something to do that last night. Again, my buddies put up a fight after hearing the 1/2 price booth attendent describe Avenue Q as a show with puppets. One actually protested loudly that he wasn't going to pay to see puppets! In the end, they caved in, and we went to watch Avenue Q. They assigned us seats in the first few rows of the balcony but it was hardly a sellout. We had lots of room to move around and we chose the back row of the balcony as no one was up there. Everyone loved the show! It was funny and witty. Perfect show for a bunch of twenty-somethings a few years out of school. The one guy that protested the most actually remembers that first trip with Avenue Q being the highlight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.