1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest credit card

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by harry47, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harry47

harry47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Southwest credit card with a $99 fee per year. If I pay the $99 fee and later decide to cancel (say after 6 months) will I be credited with half of the fee I paid. Thanks for any help.

2. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will pro-rate your annual fee based on the length of time you keep the card.
    I don't know how or if that will affect any points they gave you at sign up.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my not so humble opinion, $99 a year for the privilege of using anyone's credit card is absurd!

4. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you fly like I do then 99 bucks isnt bad if you can reap all the rewards.....I traveled over 176 days last year.... so a SW card to me and the 99 dollars is worth it.....

I personally have Marriott and Holiday Inn Rewards cards, plat at both so its worth the 49 dollar charge the card charges me....

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They give you 6000 miles upon renewal - which is worth $100 in flying credits, so it really doesn't cost $99 if you actually fly them.

6. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only get 3000 points on my anniversary.
    But my annual fee is only $49, half the points at half the the price I guess.
    I think it's worth it though for me anyway. I never carry a balance, and am able to usually get a couple free flights per year.
    But if your one who has to pay monthly interest, then an annual fee is a no-no.

7. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have this card and they charged me the $99 fee the first month. It isn't waived the first year. I doubt they will credit you any portion of that if you cancel within a few months of getting the card.

I did not get 6k points for this $99. I did get 50k for signing up. The 6k in points is only the next time you pay the $99 fee. It is expensive but as long as I get the miles I am happy with it.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct, many people get 50000 miles at signup with either the $69 card or the $99 one, the $69 card gives you 3000 miles on renewal, the $99 card gives you 6000. I signed up last fall and will end up getting 3 free roundtrip flights(which usually go for $250 - 300 per flight) with my initial $69 annual fee, I can't imagine any situation where that is not worth it.

9. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if you lose your points when you cancel your Visa card? I have had a SWA card for about 4 years and we used it to pay bills, groceries, etc. We were able to earn one to two trips per year.

In the past year we have been working to pay off everything we own. Finally, we have no house payment, no car payments, and no credit card payments. We have adopted the lifestyle of living within our means. Part of this is not using a credit card, and paying cash for everything. (still use a debit card). We budget each month and stick to it.

Our SWA visa is coming due the end of August. I pay $59 annually (I don't remember my bonus points) I was going to cancel the card next month, but I still have enough points for one more round trip ticket. Since the points are part of my Rapid Rewards, will they still be there after I cancel?

Thanks

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

actually you're talking about 2 different companies. One is the cc company. when you rack up points (or miles) they will count them up and send them to swa. Once the points are in your swa account you can then use them to get free flights. if you cancel your cc it shouldn't affect your swa points.

You should confirm this with swa though. Best to be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that your swa points aren't affected if you cancel your cc.

11. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Points earned are yours to keep, no matter how you got them.

12. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

But don't be surprised if the retention guy at the credit card company intimates that you may lose your points by cancelling. You won't, but they may hint that you could in order to scare you into staying. It has been tried on me.

13. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, thanks for the heads up. I could continue using the card, if the threw an extra incentive my way. It's just gotten to the point that we don't spend as much each month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.