1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

FYI: Cosmo Room Differences

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by sageblue, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at Cosmopolitan for the second time this last trip. The first trip, we stayed in a terrace studio with a fountain view in the west tower. This trip, we tried to upgrade at the front desk to a terrace suite, but they wanted us to pay, so we stuck with the terrace one bedroom with a fountain view.

Both rooms are great and are the same square footage. However, the devil is in the layout as they don't say.

With the studio, the bathroom is the first thing you have as you enter. The living area then blends essentially seamlessly into the bedroom area (there's a half wall sort of separating them).

With the one bedroom, you enter into the living area; you then come into a sort of dressing area with the closet and an ottoman facing the entrance to the bathroom, which parallels the bedroom, which can be separated from the living area with a pocket door.

Obviously, one can see all of this on the floor plans on the website, but actually being in the rooms highlights some significant differences.

• The one-bedroom's living area is significantly darker than the studio's, being so far from the windows and because the bathroom being parallel to the bedroom creates a smaller opening for light to get back there.
    • It's cool having the bathroom with a view, but it didn't really do all that much for me, especially since when one is in the bath, you're actually too low to see anything but sky.
    • With the bathroom parallel to the bedroom, the space around the bed is pretty darned cramped.
    • It doesn't show it anywhere I could find, but there are windows between the bedroom and bathroom (with blinds). Yes, it's potentially sexy or something, but it also lets in light for those late-night trips.
    • As you can see on the floor plan for the one bedroom, there's a pretty significant waste of space in the area that constitutes the dressing area to the living area. It was nice to have the big ottoman and stuff, but I didn't need it.

As you can probably tell, I think I liked the studio much better than the one bedroom. I can see the one bedroom's advantages -- one could be in another place and not disturb a sleeper; having a bathroom near the bedroom -- but the layout just didn't appeal to me. I liked lounging in the studio's living area and even working at the desk and looking outside at the great view.

So, I just thought I'd share so you might be able to make a better judgment between the two kinds of rooms since they are often priced the same.

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I have the studio w/view booked for next month and figured I'd be able to get the 1BR if I wanted. I was hoping to come across some info like this - looks like I'll keep the studio. Dark LR and light BR sealed the deal. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

3. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's interesting!

4. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed in both rooms as well and I agree with you 100%. The single feature that is a benefit to me in the one bedroom is the doors between the bedroom and the living area. Aside from that I prefer the studio hands down. I like to take in the view and get natural light wherever I stay and the one bedroom just feels a little too closed in for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I'd stay in one again in a heartbeat if that was my option but, I can't see us ever upgrading to the one bedroom from a studio.

5. kmarcin

kmarcin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting perspective...

Thanks for your thoughts regarding the Cosmo studio vs. one bedroom. My wife and I have booked a one bedroom fountain view room for our August trip.

We chose the one bedroom based solely on the floor layout (my wife seemed to like it better than the studio). Hopefully the view of the Bellagio fountains are as nice as the pictures look.

In any event, I'm looking forward to getting to Vegas and checking out the room.

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in a one bedroom Terrace Suite at the end of April into the beginning of May and it sounds like it had a different layout than the one you described - when I walked into my room from the outside hallway, there was an "L shaped" entry hallway leading into the room - you go through the hallway and then you come to the kitchen and seating area first before you get to the living room area and entrance to the bedroom etc.

There were also two full bathrooms complete with showers - one between the kitchen and front door and one right off the bedroom (past a closet that contained a washer/dryer).

The only thing I liked about the Cosmo was the large terrace with a fantastic Strip view. I found the suite itself to be extremely dark, especially the bathrooms - they were very dim, especially near the sink areas, which I did not like at all. I like a bright bathroom, or at least a light that gives you the option to dim or increase the amount of light you prefer.

Another thing I absolutely hated about the Cosmo was a complete lack of space to put your clothing. When I travel to Vegas I go for about ten days at a time, so I have a good amount of clothing with me.

The one bedroom suite had a closet with some hangers and a few small square built-in shelves on the left side of the closet to put some things and a trunk at the foot of the bed where you had to throw your clothes in and get on your knees each day and sift through everything while trying to find something to wear. And that was it. It was extremely uncomfortable and not what I would consider a "luxurious" experience, to say the least. It might work for someone who is just there for a weekend with only a carry on bag and plans to just hang out in clubs, but when I am in an upscale hotel for an extended period of time, I would hope they would put in a few dressers with actual drawers so I could put my clothes away in a civilized manner.

There was so much wasted space in the room where they could have put pieces of furniture that could double as clothing storage.

Housekeeping was atrocious - there was garbage from the previous guest when i checked in and a Cheeto sat under the kitchen table for my entire stay, undisturbed by housekeeping. There was also a blue plastic cup and dice under the sofa (which I snapped a photo of), the remnants of another wild party that had taken place at some point in the distant past, and had most likely been there since opening night. I called every day before leaving the room to have the room made up and on one occasion no one even bothered to show up - I returned to the room at about 6pm to find the room had not been made up, even though I had called at Noon and housekeeping had assured me that it would be taken care of. I had to call and request a second time that someone make up the room after I went out for dinner, and when I returned it was done in a half-assed manner. This type of thing has never happened to me in a Bellagio or Aria suite. I started to think that maybe this is why the whole room was kept so dark - if the lights are dim, the filth is a whole lot less obvious.

I also did not like the party crowd clientele of the Cosmo at all. My trip spanned over two weekends and starting on Thursdays, large groups of people would chip in to book the suites and pile in and party - you would hear them screaming at the top of their lungs like savages on the balconies. I am young but it is not my mentality to conduct myself in that way, and never has been - I am not into that whole Jersey Shore type of vibe.

I am heading back to the Aria in a few weeks, where the suites are much nicer (there might not be a balcony but the suites there more than make up for it) and the hotel has an air of elegance and class. Yes people party there (I mean -it's Vegas!), but it is not a "Hard Rock" crowd and they have ample storage so you can actually seperate your underwear from your shirts and pants without having to toss everything together into a pot luck trunk along with the clothing of whoever you are traveling with.

I would not stay at The Cosmo again unless they gave me some incredible comp offer and even then I would really have to think about it.

@Kmarcin - you will not be disappointed by the view of the Bellagio Fountains from the Terrace. The view of the north strip in general is breathtaking at night. Ask for as high a floor as possible - preferably something in the 50's if you can get it for the best views of everything.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. ez369

ez369 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting this, should I ever consider staying at The Cosmopolitan. I always pay attention to things like this and little nuances.

8. kmarcin

kmarcin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jr7110 - Thanks for the tip. We will ask for the highest room available when we check in. Also, we are staying at the Cosmo from Sunday-Thursday so that we can avoid the Friday-Saturday party types.

9. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are checking in early in the day they might not have anything on a high floor available yet (if the previous guests have not checked out). You can always ask if one of the rooms on a higher floor will become available later in the day and if they say they will hold it for you you can leave your bags with the bell desk. That is what I have always done at every hotel I stay at and since you are there for five days you want the best possible view to enjoy each night.

@ez369 - you're welcome. I think it is important to know what you are getting into and with so many comparable properties in Vegas you should be able to get the best experience for your money. I have since looked on tripadvisor and many, many people have posted that they experienced similar issues with the poor housekeeping. I tip housekeeping every day, and I tip well. By the end of my stay the tip had dwindled down to a fraction of what it started out as. Awful.

10. Vegasvics

Vegasvics Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree. We just spent 4 nights in an Eastside Tower Terrace Suite. There was a cushion missing on one of the terrace seats for our entire stay. There was a huge cum stain on the other lounge chair cushion -- which took two days to be replaced. While they did at least make up the room each day, they forgot to replace the towels twice. The stopper on my bathroom sink broke. I left the stopper handle out on the sink, assuming that housekeeping would get engineering to fix it. Wrong. They just put it back in the slot and left it non-functional!

As for the property, the restaurants were outstanding. The video poker machines were very tight, but the bartenders were cool. We really enjoyed the vibe at this property, but I can imagine that it would get super crazy on the weekends. However, the housekeeping will probably keep us from staying here again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.