1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do any restaurants serve healthy food these days?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is 7:14 AM and I am still have an upset stomach from the food I ate last night at a restaurant.

My girlfriend and I rarely eat out any more. The taste of the food never justifies the cost. We also prefer to eat healthy.

I will preface what I say that I do have somewhat of a sensitive stomach.

It was not an inexpensive chain either. It was $25-$40 a plate. It was highly rated on Yelp.com

I had the following:

Duck : I have no idea why anyone would pay more for duck instead of ordering chicken. First, isn't all dark meat? I don't think most people like dark meat fowl. Duck is greasy as heck too. I am not sure how it was cooked. The skin was crispy, so it might have been flash fried.

Mashed Potatoes : The most buttery mashed potatoes I have eaten. Do people like them that way? When I make them at home, I don't use any butter.

Vegetables : Sautéed to oblivion. The greasiest vegetables I have ever eaten. Who could enjoy that?

Are my complaints in the minority?

Do all restaurants cook this way? Like I mentioned, I don't eat out much?

Is the food less oily at expensive restaurants?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blue, that's really just one big rhetorical inquiry, assuming tastes, experiences, expectations that are different for everyone. For instance, duck is dark and it's not like the engineered-to-death "quality" of commercial chickens; that's the whole point of it. But like anything else, the inputs need to be good and the preparation needs to be done correctly. And cost/taste justification? Again, totally personal and subjective. Too much butter? Perhaps, but some might not think so. Now it does sound like they missed on some basic marks.

What restaurant? That might answer a few questions.

Are you looking for specific restaurant recommendations? If you cook at home in a style/manner that suits you, some basic research and a few questions asked when you get to wherever you've decided to eat would help you quite a bit.

3. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Recommendations would be great. We are looking for restaurants where the dishes do not contain too much salt or grease. Anywhere in Southern California (Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego) or Las Vegas. American food.

Regarding cost. It is isn't an issue really. It is more about value. We don't like to spend a lot in a restaurant if the food isn't going to taste good.

I don't want to mention the name of the restaurant because I don't like to bad mouth a place when my opinion might be the minority and they might not have done anything wrong. Although, I don't know how anyone would enjoy eating vegetables soaked in grease. The restaurant is categorized on Yelp.com as American and Seafood.

I do regret not asking the waiter how the vegetables are prepared. I would have asked to have them steamed. I don't eat out a lot. I expected more.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good news!!

They all serve healthy food.

Steaks, chicken, pork chops. You name it.

All great sources of healthy fats that the advanced human brain needs to function at a high level. Dont forget the real butter and whole milk.

Ever wonder why Grandma lived into her 90's? Its not because she ate salads every day.

Some serve veggies on the side but as we all know, thats just for looks, you arent supposed to actually eat them.

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is supposed be tongue and cheek, but at the same time there might be some truth to it.

I will say I do feel I have a little more energy this morning than usual. But my stomach is churning so I feel bad overall.

6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many restaurants are also designating a portion of their menu towards vegan dishes, specify if dishes are gluten free, and also have a "healthy" section or symbol that lets you know if this dish has less calories, includes better / healthier side dishes, etc.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you got sick it's because they misprepared it, or served you old/spoiled food. Healthy has nothing to do with it, try mcdonalds, you wont get sick and it's just as healthy as anything else.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are very careful about the amount of sodium we consume at home, but unfortunately, most restaurants over salt everything. It's how the general public likes it and what they are used to. So, when dining out, expect salt.

We check the sodium content on everything we buy, but if you're eating out, there aren't many options. Skip the soup (always salty) and ask them to not salt anything, but it's limited since much is prepared with the salt already in it.

Grease/oil is another issue and can be somewhat avoided with careful ordering and reading of the menu. Also give specific instructions on preparation.
    Just a small example, we recently ordered a sauteed shrimp dish and we asked them to do it olive oil, not the butter listed on the menu.

9. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    op, i think what you described sounds pretty on par with my experience when eating at restaurants. the only difference is i like it! yeah, i should eat healthier....

this isn't necessarily true. while it is possible that the food was prepared improperly, it's more likely that the op's stomach just isn't accustomed to digesting that much fat. most people i know that eat healthy and rarely eat out have trouble stomaching prepared foods (restaurant, fast food, even boxed food).

10. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I clarified my original post.

I have an upset stomach. I am not "sick".

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that I can feel uneasy when I eat a meal that uses a lot of cream or butter or red meat - not because it was old or spoiled or badly prepared, but because I don't eat those things on a regular basis.

I love to cook and garden and I live in the boonies, so we don't eat out much - we splurge more on meals on vacation (not necessarily expensive - I have found some fabulous food in cheap dives:thumbsup:) so I understand what you're saying. But there are good foods out there - including meals you would enjoy. You just probably have to read menus and reviews more carefully to understand preparations to make choices you'll be happy with. Good luck:peace:

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like Red Lobster.

13. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should have said.

"It was not an inexpensive or a chain restaurant."

That is why I am a little surprised. I expected better.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Restaurants

Cousin Eddie you make me laugh because it is true what you have said.

My dad lived to be 96yrs. old. He ate 1/2 pound of bacon and two eggs and strong coffee for breakfast for many years. He was a construction worker and used up those calories of fat and grease. He didn't have a colestroll sp
    problem. He always ate whatever he wanted. He was born on a farm.

My Mom is 90yrs.old and she was a city gal so now she has to watch what she eats because her digestive system doesn't work like it should.
    She used to eat a lot of candies and cokes all of her life. She still likes to eat lots of sweets and drink cokes. She is in top health with no medical problems
    except that one day her heart will stop because of her age. She is not even diabetic. But she did inherit mental problems from her dna genes.

I was born in the city but my mom always bought me lots of fresh fruits to eat. I love all kinds of salads and I have to eat fruits and salads everyday.
    I also eat lots of butter and sweet pastries and drink cokes. I am an old senior now and I have realized that after I eat a fattening greasy meal I need to walk around until my food digests.

Now that I am a senior I have learned to cut down on eating too much at one sitting. I prefer to eat small meals during the day.

I don't choose to eat at fancy restaurants because I know I can only eat part of it. My body tells me when I am full. In Vegas it would be a waste of
    money to eat a full meal at a restaurant.

I prefer to eat at buffets so I can choose my foods that agree with me. Then I take a long walk after I eat.

Some Movie Stars and entertainers have to watch their weight so they order special meals like grilled meats, and veggies with no fat. It is so easy
    to ask for foods that are low in grease.

Baked potatos don't have any fat on them. Grilled fish, chicken don't have much fat on them. Olive oil is good for your body so ask for it on the side.
    Order a salad with dressing on the side. Stay away from creamy soups.French bread is low calorie.... just don't add butter.

The reason most restaurants put a lot of fat of oil and butter is because
    grease tastes really good and it is a happy brain food. It is good for your libido too.lol.

Next time all of you eat some foods with oil or butter you will notice how happy you get. I follow my own advise and eat lots of foods cooked with olive oil or butter. It makes me real happy. Chubby Checker

15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mentioned earlier that even though my stomach felt bad, I felt I had more energy.

Come to think of it, I was in a good mood too.

16. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Panera Bread.

17. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Krispy Kreme donuts

Hi JWBlue, Next time you go to Vegas eat a krispy Kreme donut with coffee.
    You will feel so happy. I always buy just one to save for later when I feel like eating it.lol.

When I eat a meal with lots of fried foods I drink lots of water to dilute the oil and I just walk around my condo doing things until I feel better from eating all that greasy foods.

Years ago I ate a lot of fatty Chinese food for dinner and I went straight to bed with my stomach full. My stomach went into a spasm and I ended up at the hospital. I was given a tranquilizer med to calm down my stomach.
    Years later I had my gal-bladder taken out. I had tons of calcium stones in it.

Presently, I do get sick sometimes with restaurant foods. I have noticed that.
    But I don't get sick with take-out foods from chain places.

Maybe the time has come for you to watch what you eat. Ask your relatives if they have any digestive problems. A lot of my relatives do. LucyR.

18. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to be sarcastic, but if its THAT much of an issue, then stay at an Extended Stay and cook for yourself. Another option might be to have a list of places you are interested in and call and ask about the menus and explain your situation. Im sure you will find some places illing to accomodate ya. Ya may have to pay more for the option, but if it is an issue that might be another solution.

19. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doughnuts and other sweets are my weakness. I prefer Dunkin Donuts. They don't have any stores in Southern California. We always go to the one in LV.

It is a good thing I have self control. If I didn't I would be eating 2-3 doughnuts every day. I wouldn't even have to worry about weight gain because my metabolism is incredibly high.

Extended Stay would be an option.

I don't feel comfortable making special requests in a restaurant.

Is it really ok to ask for something like easy butter or oil, or to have my vegetables steamed?
    Restaurant workers always seem to be bothered by special requests.

20. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even Mom and Pop joints tend to highlight menu items that are healthier and have things like grilled meats and steamed veggies. And when you have a choice, ask for a side salad instead of veggies if you aren't sure about how they prepare them. You can then dress it the way you like. I had a friend that dressed hers only with lemon juice. I know people have issues with starches but baked potatoes are also a side that gives you more control and more places are offering baked sweet potatoes, too. I don't think restaurants have a problem with special requests. They have a problem with the way people ask for things. Be polite and reasonable and they will accommodate you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.