1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to moderate the repurcussions from drinking, scientifically?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by johnnytwofingers, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnytwofingers

johnnytwofingers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now and then when I go to Vegas, I partake of alcoholic beverages, sometimes to excess.

There's all sorts of anecdotal suggestions out there, like for every drink, have a drink of water, or 3:1, whatever.

Drinking water in between alcoholic drinks is undoubtedly a good idea, but my question is, how much of that benefit is just that it stops your intake of alcohol, which is a diuretic and how much of it is a recovery mechanism?

From what I've read, and from anecdotal experience, gatorade really helps me the next morning. As I understand it, it is largely salt, and a few other things. I may be wrong, but gatorade kinda tells your body that ok, what you've been experiencing for the last 12 hours, stop it, and do the opposite, which is to hydrate yourself. Or something like that, I hope you get my meaning.

Anyways, long story short...do any people out there that do seriously ridiculous amount of drinking have any opinion on this? And does anyone know the actual SCIENCE of it?

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dont know the sceience behind it but have experienced 1000's of hangovers over the years.

The best thing for it is to just dig deep, get up early and puch on.

If you sleep all day and try to nurse it you will only feel worse and you will miss most of the day.

Drinking water is just a way to keep you from drinking so much booze and really has no effect. it might if you did 1 for 1 but of course you would have consumed 1/2 as many drinks that way which will have an effect as well. the effect will be you will have 1/2 as much fun.

So booze it up and the next day at daybreak plan on being up. suck it up and have a cold one in the shower. then when you are done shpwering have another. These will be the toughest of the day. after this you will be set.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's all kinds of special lists of things to do and not to do to avoid a hangover. I rarely drink at all these days, unless I'm in Vegas... then I let it loose! My understanding is that alcohol dehyrates you, which coupled with the usual heat and dryness of Las Vegas is a BIG F-IN DEAL (to quote our Vice President).

I always start out alternating the drink and water, but that doesn't last long. I usually end-up chugging a ton of water before I go to bed, coupled with a few anti-inflamatories (Aleve, Advil, etc.) I've also been told that the clearer the booze, the easier on the hangover. Vodka/Cranberry type drinks are way better than my Jack and Coke.

Bottom line... If you drink enough of anything, you won't feel well in the morning!

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that truly sums things up! I have found, however, that taking a couple aspirin right before going to sleep helps considerably.

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My father was a functional alcoholic for about 20 years. He was a workaholic too, no vacations. Whatever drinking he did, he was at work the next morning, operating heavy equipment and cranes.

He told me to have 1 water for every drink, at the very least 1 water for every 2 drinks. He wasn't a beer drinker, preferred good whiskey (neat, rocks or with water) or mixed drinks. He said the size of the water should be equal to the size of the drink. He also said to stay away from anything sweet if you were doing any serious drinking. He claimed to have had only 1 hangover in his whole life.

My father was mostly full of crap. However, I believe he was correct about this one. When I followed his advice, I was never out of hand drunk and I never had a hangover. When I didn't follow his advice...I don't have to draw a picture for you. I think you can get fancy with vitamins and aspirin and gatorade etc but that's the best advice.

Also, I always mention this when this topic comes up but it bears repeating, Tylenol (acetaminophen) does not mix with any alcohol, ever. Look it up. You can have aspirin or ibuprofen but not tylenol.

6. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best way to get rid of last night's hangover is to start working on tomorrow's.

TFK

7. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 aspirin before bed helps the bad headache upon wakeup.

Most people are too drunk to remember to do that though.

I don't drink much but when I do have a few too many, I ALWAYS drop a few Advil before bed.

8. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One very confused Scotsman here , what is water!!!!!!!!!!

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's that liquid needed for making Scotch! I don't drink it straight, however – the water that is.

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My secret weapon is the powdered Pedialyte packets. I drink two packets and a large glass of water before bed. Upon rising I repeat. I have had very good luck with this and put in a couple of 12hr plus days of drinking recently while testing this theory with very favorable results.

I am a beer and Vodka drinker and dont pollute my drinking with water once I get started.

11. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Water for sure to avoid the dehydration that causes the headache from the build up of alcohol waste metabolites, Gatorade or Pedialyte even better. One thing I have found is that if I drink some citrus juice, especially Grapefruit juice as it works as an anti inflamatory (found that out from a fellow dog person who used it on his dogs and it works the same for humans apparently), along with two regular asprins right before bed I never wake up with a hangover, been using this for over 20 years with great results. BTW even without the asprins the grapefruit juice does wonders.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  12. Thadeus

Thadeus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree, I was out drinking all day, started with beer, moved to hard alcohol, could barely walk by 11:00 went to bed, and was up at 5:00 (still on east coast time) feeling great.

The secret that has worked for me many times, taught to me by a liquor store employee, and confirmed by friends, is drink quality alcohol.

The impurities in cheep booze will hurt you. Of course, it is the desert, and you need more water than what is in your drinks, you will get dehydrated so water/gatorade is always a good idea.

13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eh brother Scotsman it whats ya add a dash of to Scotch, ya may know it better as branch water. :beer:

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wine and beer drinker. Before bed, 3 aspirin and 3 8oz glasses of water. I avoid the Advil/Tylenol because them and booze is not good for the liver.

15. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    captainrons pedialyte packets are a great idea but if your in Vegas unprepaired you can drink a tomatoe juice with a small pack of salt in it a couple times during your binge.For the potassium and sodium chloride (salt). We only need 1.5 teaspoons of salt a day so dont overdo it . Chloride reduces excess acid levels also helps liver remove waste.
    I make sure to get my vitamins in especially the b's and magnesium.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/hangover2.htm
    Thanks to you I found this and learned something new.

16. sabrina

sabrina Low roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OTC advil allergy med works great. Whatever is added for the allergy part to the advil really makes a difference. (don't use if you are on meds for high blood pressure)

Seinfield
  17. johnnytwofingers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this tip, I didn't even know there was such a thing! Do you just pick these up at a drugstore? Definitely going to give it a try! Also going to check out the grapefruit tip. I cant bear to drink one water for every drink that's for sure.

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried those on my last Vegas trip, not really sure if they helped or not. My hangovers are weird though, I dont get your typical headache/upset stomach. My hangovers consist of a really hard and fast heartbeat with a weird feeling in my chest. Its most annoying than anything.

19. johnnytwofingers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy crap man, have you seen a doctor about that?

20. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking aspirin or any other drug is a dangerous thing to do while drinking alcohol.

As someone has already mentioned.....DRINK THE BEST BOOZE YOU CAN AFFORD.....I never wake up with a hang over, but I no longer drink cheap booze. All you have to do is try it ONCE and you will see.

Bottoms UP...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.