1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest airlines question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by VegasCigars, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasCigars

VegasCigars Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I haven't flown Southwest before, and they had the best flight times and prices...so they're the airline for this trip. Can anyone tell me how seating works with them? Thanks!

2. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are no assigned seats. They board according to the boarding number you get when you check in, either online or at the airport. You can get your boarding number beginning 24 hours before your flight. First boarders are A-1 to A-15, which are reserved for business class. Regular class is then A-16 to A-60. Then B-1 to B-60, and finally C-1 to C-60. You board in numerical order. If you check in online right at 24 hours before your flight, you will more than likely get an A number, although if not quick enough, you may get a B number. You can also purchase what they call Early Bird, which is an extra $10.00 each way, and they will automatically check you in. It is almost 100 per cent you will get an A number with Early Bird, unless everyone on the flight has purchased Early Bird, which is very unlikely.

3. Dan2305

Dan2305 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like br549 said, I would try to check in as soon as it opens online (24 hours prior to flight), especially if you are trying to sit next to someone. I've been in the C class before and there were mostly only middle seats left so I couldn't sit next to the person I was flying with.

4. LushLife

LushLife Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd suggest doing the early bird check-in. If you aren't traveling alone. If you are, it shouldn't really matter where you find your single seat.

I'd recommend signing up for one of the Southwest Credit Cards. I found a deal that I got 50k points for sign up and 3k points every year with a 69$ annual fee. So this trip to Vegas this year will cost me 32k points. I'll still have 18k left on future flights plus the $1 = 1 point.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And before the usual comments are the strange boarding question - it works.

SWA is among the top 3 carriers in this country, and by far the most profitable.

Again, it has been like this for many,many years and works great.

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You line up like cattle going to be slaughtered....unless you pay the extra $10 per person only to find about half the plane did also.....so your not much better off unless you like a lighter wallet....most of everyone ahead of you will say "sorry, that seat is taken".....come back one year....LOL

But hey, at least your going to Vegas and not to work.... :)

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The old free-for-all method was cattle call. Actually makes for far more organized boarding than the method employed by others, where everyone thinks they're boarding with an infant, invalid or first-class ticket and the zone 3 folks think they're zone 1.

8. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    southwest is awesome IMO :)

9. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    .. Or where you have folks going back and forth up the aisle looking for their seats. I'm always amazed by how many people walk right past their seat the first time even though it's clearly marked.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Southwest and think you'll like it too. Though i always laugh at new people with a B-46 walking around when the A's are boarding going,"where do I go this is sooo confusing...". It's not, it's incredibly simple, but different.

11. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

It scares me to death to think these people DROVE to the airport.....

12. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love SWA, peanuts and all.

Jimbo338

13. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

I will be flying SW for the first time on my next trip. I am not sure I quite understand how this works and worried I'll be one of those people you will be wondering how they drove to the airport!. I bought the early bird check in. The way I understand it is my boarding pass will have the boarding number and you line up in A, B, or C. Do the gate attendants check what is on your boarding pass? Will they send you back if you are out of turn?

14. VegasCigars

VegasCigars Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the great replies all! We'll see how it goes. I did get the early boarding $10 deal...so hopefully that helps. I appreciate the fast responses!

I can't wait till Thursday....:beer:

15. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They call A first, once they are on plane, they call B, then C. They do look at and take your boarding pass when you board. I don't know for sure, but I would assume if you have a C and are trying to board with the A's they would make you wait. If you are just one or two numbers out of line, I doubt they would say anything. Usually when I line up, everyone is asking the others what number they have, and people have always lined up correctly, as least in my experience. Once you are on the plane just take whatever seat is available.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never flown them before either, one question - does everyone line up at once?, Meaning the A, B, and C lines are formed or forming, or does just the A's line up, and then when they're almost done, the B's start foming?

17. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

Thanks BR....you mean people actually figure out how to line up in numeric order. That is impressive. I will just go with the flow I guess.

18. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the way home this year one guy around 35 years old lined up with the wheel chair people....the SWA attendant asked why he was in line with all the people who can walk the strip but not on the plane....LOL>...he said...................wait for it..............are you sitting down................he has a "note" from his doctor........the SWA employee yelled at him that she's not a nurse and get in line with the rest of the regular people......I thought I was going to fall out of my chair when I hear that..........TRUE STORY.

19. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL. It takes all kinds, I guess.

20. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

To make it as easy as possible for everyone, SWA has numbered posts (blocks of 5). Just find your numbered group, and sort it all out with your group of 5 ... easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.