1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WAS to LAS

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by secretmachines, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secretmachines

secretmachines Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey everyone, what should I "expect" to pay for a one way flight from WAS to LAS?

I'm travelling in April 2017...

2. Tarpie

Tarpie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Putting in some random April 2017 times and dates I get a RT under $500 on Southwest. If you watch for sales over the next few months you should be able to shave approx $200 off that.

Just my guess.

TomTWI

• Like Like x 1
  4. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys, I'll probably only consider direct flights too... it'd be 7 April I fly. I'm guessing this far in advance, prices are going to fairly high.

Do you know when sales are likely to hit... I'll sign up for a few airlines newsletters so hopefully get a heads up :)

5. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    prices don't seem to have changed in the last few weeks:

DCA-LAS one-way: $240 per person (American Airlines)

(i'd prefer to fly non-stop and an early morning flight - so that reduces options a bit. Flights with Southwest from BWI are $189/$244, so probably not worth the effort)

i'm tempted to just book these, in case it gets booked up... is it worth hanging on much longer for possible sales and noteable reduction in cost?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful of the term direct. It most often means the plane stops along the way. Nonstop means it does not stop along the way. Big difference.

If you are not flying until April, why not just get another credit card and get the 25-50,000 mile signup bonus which will cover your flight?

Also, you can check most airline flights via the big online travel agencies. But, for Southwest, you have to go their site.

• Like Like x 1
  7. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for making me aware of the terminology... i have now edited it to "non-stop".

i am based in the UK, so probably not eligible for a US credit card. I wouldn't want to go down that route anyway, I don't think :)

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah... missed the UK part. Too bad about the credit card part.

I would not worry about booking an April flight until late in the year, probably even Jan/Feb would be good. Chances are you will be booking a non refundable flight anyways. You mentioned April 7th, which is a Friday. Not sure how locked into dates you are, but Fridays are sometimes a bit higher pricewise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much @nostresshere :)

7 April is pretty much locked in, part of a multistop trip. I'll keep an eye on prices, I have a couple of alerts set up so can jump if any great deals pop up.

But good to know I can give it a bit of time :)

10. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so prices just jumped about 25% to $300pp for a single flight, maybe I should have booked sooner :(
    do we think prices might drop back again?

11. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the DC area and do the DCA > LAS trip about 4-5 times a year. DCA has one early moring flight (American Airlines) that leaves around 745am non stop to LAS. I've paid anywhere from $600 to $300 depending in the time of year.

I would try to book around late Jan to early March for the best price for April. I think a good price for that time will be around $350.

IAD/BWI will be cheaper (usually) and have more flight choices. Both are a good 45 mins to an hour from DC depending on traffic which has been terrible for the last 3 months. F you metro.

You're gonna get your pants pulled down on the price if booking through a UK agent though. Have any American friends who can book for you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey @reedy, that's super helpful thank you so much :)

If you think $350 would be a good price, may I should book the $300 flight now (which has just jumped from about $250 yesterday)?

This is per person, flying DCA-LAS with American Airlines, booking direct through the AA website. This would be the preferred route as we're planning to stay in Arlington, near DCA. We don't have any flexibility on the day we're flying.

I would prefer to fly non-stop and the alternative is IAD-LAS with United, which is $360pp at the moment.

:)

13. mpjmph

mpjmph Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One quick note on BWI - It's about 45 minutes by MARC train from Union Station in DC to the BWI train station. One way MARC tickets are $8, and do not require advanced reservations. You can buy them from kiosks in the train station. There is a free shuttle from the BWI train station to the airport. Depending on your starting point in DC, it may be a reasonable option.

• Like Like x 1
  14. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey secretmachines,

Those prices are for returns. My apologies, I should have made that clear.

I ran a quick search to make up for my incompetence. $300 would be on the high side for a OW ticket. For example, leaving on April 10th (Mon) you can grab a seat on that flight for $169.00. looks like below $200 for most weekdays and then back up to $250 for a Sat ticket.

I would wait.

• Like Like x 1
  15. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ahhh that makes sense :) sorry, I should have mentioned OW again.
    we are tied to leaving on Friday 7th April... I'll heed your advice and wait... but maybe if the price hits close to $200 in the meantime, I'll go for it :) - maybe there'll be some Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday offers.

thanks @mpjmph :) it's certainly an option, though I think it would have to be quite a considerable saving for a more "inconvenient" journey (bearing in mind we'll have come from the UK and kinda want an easy life for travelling :D)

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate that SWA has no direct flights from DCA to LAS.

IAD only has like one. BWI always has the best choices.

17. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're traveling during a holiday then booking 6 months out is understandable but if no holiday is involved than prices usually are at their best about 2-3 months prior to flying. If you book with Southwest and the price comes down you can call and rebook getting the difference in future credit but if you book with other airlines you can only look at the new low price and grimace. I have found hopper.com to be great for finding the lowest fares but they don't have Southwest. I find the lowest fare on hopper.com, compare on Southwest and then go directly to the airline web site to book.

18. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a solid plan.

Also, if you want to try something different and get a little weird while in Crystal City the night before your flight go to the Crystal City Restaurant. Its a regular restaurant...... with belly dancers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, I hate that as well that they don't have any direct flights from DCA!

20. secretmachines

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hi guys, how accurate are the seat maps (e.g. on American Airlines) to determine how many seats are left?
    there aren't many left for the ideal flight (7 Apr 0846 DCA-LAS) according the seat map... one way prices have been solid at around $300pp for a couple of months now.
    i'm not sure if i should book due to the low number of available seats and pay a little over the odds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.