1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question: Group transport from airport to downtown

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Vegas Insight, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my upcoming trip, there will be six of us, and we don’t all have the same flights. I am the designated driver and we’ll have a fabulous rental van from the good folks at Alamo.

The problem: Despite my suggestions on what flights to book, they fell on mostly deaf ears. Four of the six are arriving on Sunday morning, Oct. 30. I arrive about 5 p.m. Sunday evening. Therefore four people do not have access to the rental van when they arrive, and they have to get downtown, where they likely won’t be able to get into their rooms. (We all work until midnight on Saturday night here in Minnesota, and these chuckleheads decided to book an 8 a.m. departure on Sunday morning, so they’d better pray they can get in after lunch for a nap.)

This foursome is composed of Vegas newbies, essentially. Not everyone is a virgin, but nobody is a seasoned veteran like their tour guide. They’ll be arriving at Terminal 1 and will have to split their cost for transport from the airport to downtown. What makes the most sense? Although these are all newbies, they have varying economic constraints, so cost considerations are a factor. (I’ve had a rental vehicle for years, and the last time I didn’t, I was traveling solo and took an airport shuttle to Orleans, so I’m a bit clueless.)

Options:

Taxi: easy, but twice as expensive as…

Uber: half the cost, I’m estimating, but one vehicle for four of them, with bags, isn’t feasible

Shuttle bus: four people buying a one-way shuttle ticket downtown has to be more expensive than an SUV taxi

Limo: I have no idea what it costs to have a car service drive the foursome and their bags from the airport to downtown

Bus: These are newbies who will be tired, I’m not going to recommend they go this route in order to save $10

Did I forget any options?

So what would you recommend, and what is the total cost going to be for four easy marks like this group?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They clearly aren't taking advice. Tell them you'll be happy to give them a ride when your flight comes in, and let em do their own research if they don't feel like waiting.

They will then end up taking the taxi, which is the path of least resistance and requires the least counsel from you anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's something to be said for letting people learn their own lessons, but these are my friends, so it's in my best interest to offer them a recommendation.

4. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber and Lyft both offer options for small groups of people (such as a group of 4).

Uber calls theirs UberXL.
    Lyft calls theirs Lyft Plus.

Both can be ordered directly from the respective app.

5. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used Uber much, and it has always been for 2 people, usually w/o bags, so I wasn't clear on how you specify you need a bigger vehicle. I heard of UberXL, I thought it was more about expensive vehicles, not necessarily large vehicles. Good to know, thanks.

6. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UberXL or Uber SUV are the options to consider for a group of four with luggage. UberXL will be cars like a Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer. UberSUV will be cars like a Chevy Suburban.

UberSelect or UberBlack are the more expensive vehicles you were probably thinking of (Audi A8, BMW, etc).

Have a fun trip!

7. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh one more thing:
    A quick fare estimate for an UberXL from McCarran to downtown is $41. A regular Uber is estimated at $19. So, it may be just as economical to do two regular Ubers as one UberXL.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on which hotel they're staying at, they should be able to check in early, I've checked in as early as 9AM several times without trouble. I dont see why it's your job to arrange their transport if they didn't listen to your other suggestions, They can take a taxi and share the fare, that's the easiest.

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was (mostly) kidding about the tone, but there is an important lesson underneath it. It is a bad precedent to take it all on yourself to ensure their enjoyment.

We see people on here all the time bemoaning how they became a glorified tour guide for their buddies, and it ruined their own experience. They follow you everywhere, or want all of you to go see the one thing they have heard of. If you want to play something they don't, they hover and look at their watch. Any choice of dining or show is suddenly subject to their approval.

I really honestly would not go into the level of detail of telling them how to get downtown. You are talking maybe 1-2 dollars apiece in price difference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Uber and Lyft, when you're a new customer, you get the first ride for free or with discount. So if your friends didn't use either one yet, they can each download the app and get two cars (2p per car + luggage) and probably get it for free or uber cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great point, thanks for the suggestion Lady Fortuna.

This goes beyond the topic of this thread, but regarding your point, I am most certainly not taking it all upon myself. I have stressed the importance of not expecting all six of us to all do the same thing all of the time. We are all going to the Freakling Bros. on Sunday night, less than 24 hours after we all finish working our seven-weekend season at a Minneapolis area haunted attraction. We all plan to hang out together on Monday night, downtown. But some people might choose an afternoon in the sun, even if it's not steamy hot, at the Plaza pool. Some of us will be playing pinball, others might skip it. Most of us will visit Seven Magic Mountains, but somebody might want to rest and relax instead of hitting up the Magic Mountains, Steak 'n Shake and the Sci Fi Center.

The beauty is that 20 years ago it would have required a lot more planning from the day. Now we can text back and forth with updates as the day goes along. Vegas is a great place to go your own way from day to day. I was on a trip like that several years ago. We all hung out together much of the time, and one day we all went separate ways. Vegas is great for that.

As for transportation, online calculators suggest that a taxi to downtown from the airport isn't much more expensive than Uber options. The cab route is about $50, the Uber options put it at about $40, or less if somebody can get a free ride. I'm guessing the limo option is substantially higher.

• Like Like x 1
  12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you pay $50 for a taxi downtown you got ripped off, 35 - 40 tops.

13. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used Lyft and Uber last trip and were almost 100% satisfied. Saved a ton over using taxis.
    Haven't used either service from airport to resort yet. I've read on VMB it can be a bit of a challenge to find the pick-up points. So unless it's very easy, might still lemming it to the taxi line. Last thing I want to do arriving in Vegas is go on a treasure hunt looking for the pick-up point.

14. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wax. There are signs. For 4 it is 8$. And fairly quick once on board. Check arrival times vs bus departure Wine and cheese / bitch but it's 20-25 minutes. Fog hat slow ride don't be in such a hurry to lose money.

15. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the info. The group will have their options spelled out for them next Sunday. My last question, a simple one. (Keep in mind I haven't used a taxi in Vegas in years.)

When staying on the strip, it's a "no tunnel" trip. Does that same edict apply when taking a cab downtown?

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes

17. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    gracias.

18. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was JUST about to quote you, saying "despite my suggestions on what flight to book..." and Nevyn nailed my answer.

I'd offer that you can give them a ride if they're at the airport when you get in, or if not, Uber/Lyft or the bus can be an alternative. Let them figure it out from there, and enjoy your trip until you all hook up, and have a blast!

Ps on long-hauling. Uber and lyft both give estimates. If the actual trip is way outside the estimate, just write in and ask then to reevaluate the route. They're really good about making post-trip rate adjustments if you ARE longhauled. Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  19. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For 4 people? Newbies involved?
    Tell them to got to the 'Limo' door just outside of baggage claim & do a 'town-car'. Everyone throws in $15 & they get there quick & easy.
    Otherwise, tell them to take the WAX... it's not complicated at all - not even for a newbie.
    Just let them know to get off at the "4th & Carson" stop... that puts them right next to the back-corner of 'theD' & next to the Walgreens...1/2 a block from the east-side of the FSE canopy.
    Every property is an easy walk from there...even with luggage.
    ...and, as noted above, it's $2 each for that trip.

Annual Spring Trip!
  20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am all for helping, but not leading the way.

Give them options and finish the email with : "See you at the hotel'. Then let them do what they damn well please.

P.S. - Sorry you got tasked with getting a van. I would have skipped that and just done two taxis or two ubers when needed.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.