1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Possibly driving to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in the starting phases of planning a possible road trip for April to Vegas with a very small chance of going over to San Diego for a day or two.

According to Google maps, I can do the trip three different routes, all of which would take around 30 hours give or take straight through. My hope is to do this in 2 1/2 days or so each way. I usually am good for 1000 miles a day with rest.

The reason for this trip is more of a memorial trip for my father. We use to do this drive a couple times a year when I was young and he had always wanted to do again, well he passed away from cancer in 2012 and never had the chance, so its more for his memory.

I have some memories of the drive, but thats been 15-20 years ago or more. I am wondering what to expect from those who have taken the drive or something similar. Curious what kind of budget I should have. Any must see and do along the routes? I more than likely would take the 70-44-40-93 route but its possible I would do 70 to 15 and take that in.

Typically my road trips are from Columbus to Memphis, spend the night and return, thats due to child custody swaps, but I have driven as far as Dallas in a day.

FWIW, I would be driving a 2016 Honda Civic, and know the basics to have it checked, oil changed, tires rotated and all of that before a trip. This would be a solo trip

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I may not reply quickly, but I will try to reply to everyone who replies here. Depending on budget as time gets near and what time I can get off work (already submitted) I am looking to take 12-14 days total round trip. Its possible I would have to cut it to 10.

If I cant get enough time to do the drive, I will fly, gotta have my Vegas fun.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6 hours is about the most driving I can take in one day. 30? No way. But also, my time off is limited so I need to get there quickest.

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a road trip, so I say go for it. :) If you've got the extra time, I think it can be fun to just relax and enjoy the places to see along the way. I'm not familiar with your route, so I can't be much help with things to see along the way.

1000 miles a day sounds insane to me. I'm good for about 500 maximum as a solo driver. I also stop and get out to walk around for 15 minutes every few hours to prevent "car butt". ;)

4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm usually useless after about ten hours behind the wheel. (My bride says that number's closer to eight hours.)
    I've not driven to Vegas yet, but I've come to realize that it's important to maintain fluid levels for car and driver on any long trips...

Best wishes as you honor your father with this trip!

RICHARD

5. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. After about 850 miles I admit I start feeling it. I will say I drove this car to Memphis and North Carolina and the driver assistance like adaptive cruise and lane keep assist sure helped in not feeling as much fatigue

6. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A solo trip is a little rough. Find someone to tag along if you can. 4 hour shifts and you can drive through the night if necessary. I've driven roundtrip to Vegas from Washington State several times and a few other places of similar distance. Usually only stopping for gas and food. You can calculate mileage pretty easily to get a good estimate on gas expenses.

7. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did Vegas to San Diego once. It was years ago. It was a long haul. Would prob not do it again. But that's just me.

On long drives, especially involving the desert areas outside of Vegas, I would carry 1-2 gallons of water, along with snacks that do well in any weather, such as energy bars. Just in case.

One thing I remember about Vegas-San Diego was I only recall one place to stop for fuel once you got into the desert stretch. I can't remember the name of the town. But it was very expensive. Make sure you have a full tank before you start out on any long haul and plan rest/fuel stops carefully. Check in with friends/family on a regular basis, letting them know you location.

Keep your cell phone charged while driving and if you don't already have one, invest in a backup battery charger unit for the phone.

If you don't belong to AAA, now might be a good time to join.

Hope this helps.

8. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

Good info. I know we did the drive to San Diego a few times, I don't remember much about it, other than it being long. I keep a charger in my car for the phone, would have one for the room as well, plus I have a battery case which gives me 2 days of power with average use.

9. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

Id love to find someone to tag along, and am still looking. I know the drives can be long for sure, especially through the desert. I average between 42-45MPG at 75MPH.

10. Jerry Snuggit

Jerry Snuggit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look for alternatives to the freeway whenever possible. Like instead of 70 to 15, head for Rt 12 in Utah. Absolutely spectacular. Or if you are planning a more southern route towards 40, there are some really fun roads to drive in southern Missouri (Rt 160). Colorado's Million Dollar Highway (Rt 550 from Ouray to SIlverton) is unforgettable, but this will definitely cost extra time.

You can never have enough chargers, cords, etc.

Since it's hard to know exactly where you'll end each day, HotelTonight is a great app for finding hotels, ummm, for tonight.

Plan your audio ahead of time. Download podcasts or subscribe to Sirius.

Don't plan a schedule. Stop anywhere that seems interesting, talk to people along the way. Enjoy the drive!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cannot agree with this enough. These are the first, second and third rules of road tripping.

I also second the recommendation to take alternate routes from the interstate if you can. The interstate is just so :snore:. Oh look, another Wendy's. And another. And another, repeat for 500 miles.

If you feel like you only have the interstate as an option, you can also look for some little side highways or routes that will give you a break for 10-15 miles. (This is why I still like paper maps! GASP) Those routes usually go through some kind of town and I try to stop if someplace looks interesting. I totally understand wanting to maximize your Vegas time, so, you gotta do what works best for you..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of things to think about. The key will be when I know for sure what my budget is and what time I can be off work. Planning is half the fun of any trip, but I find this to be a bit stressful planning.

13. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in SD and have done the Vegas drive many times. Be sure you leave Vegas at a smart time. Leaving at noon on a Friday for instance would be a bad time as you'll hit SoCal traffic. On a weekday, I'd look at 9 or 10 am, or on a weekend I'd go with early Saturday or very early Sunday. The later Sunday drive back is a bear usually.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip. I surely do not like traffic that much. Hopefully not many SoCal drivers will be heading east, or I will think they had a bit to much to drink, LMAO.

15. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best road trips for me are the ones where you have plenty of time to enjoy all the cool things along the way. A few years ago my lovely wife, our 11 year old son and I drove from central Texas out to San Francisco for my brother's wedding. We got to spend a couple days in Taos, NM, toured the Petrified Forest National Park, stood on the corner in Winslow, AZ, hiked the Grand Canyon North Rim for three days, drove thru Zion, and spent three nights in Vegas. Back then we stayed at Palace Station; they had a big video game/pinball room for the kids - it was perfect for our boy. We gambled, ate well, rested up, and after a much needed laundromat stop we headed on to Frisco, where my brother gave us a guided tour of all the cool places. Took the south route home, hit Joshua Tree Park and Carlsbad Caverns along the way.
    Hope you have a smooth trip and enjoy the ride.....
    :peace:

• Like Like x 1
  16. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great trip. I love road trips. I actually had to drive to NC last week and back, 12 hours of driving and that is what refueled my desire to do this drive.

17. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak for the route, but I'd echo the suggestion of extra water, both for you and the radiator. And change that radiator fluid if its been a while. Theres some pretty big mountain passes and I bet that Civic will be CHUGGING up them.. Lots of stress on that tiny engine.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm all for regular maintenance and packing properly. But this isn't 1950 out on Route Nowhere.

19. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love me a road trip !

Sorry about your dad, damn cancer.
    Great suggestions so far, wish I knew the route....actually wish I could come and co drive with you :biker:

I always try to drive the secondary roads if the time is available. Having AAA is not a bad idea though your car is nice and new.

Like Sonya I always have paper maps, and a highliter to mark them up.

One thing I always bring for my long runs is a pillow, after about six or seven hours of driving I find it nice to have something to wedge/squish/prop against or behind me when the adjusting the seat just doesn't cut it any more :confused:

Last time I drove to Vegas I left my sunglasses and my coffee cup on the counter on the way out :(. That really sucked, this time I am putting my sunglasses in the car the night before.

Oh....and one dorky thing I always bring along is a pair of binocs, always fun to stop and stretch at those wildlife viewing areas and look for critters. Seems to be only cows when I stop though, and not the wild ones !

Have fun !
    Rusty :beer:

• Like Like x 1
  20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, love a good road trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.