1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golfing Vegas - Basic

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Zapisocki, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapisocki

Zapisocki Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking my 21 year old to Vegas in September, staying at the MGM. My question is we are looking for recommendations for decent basic golf courses to play every day that offer great value.

Ken2v???

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I su
    I suspect you aren't going to get a reply from Ken. My wife and I golfed at Las Vegas Golf Club quite a bit when we lived in Vegas. Oldest municipal course in Vegas. It's a basic course but it has grass tee to greens which is different for most courses there. Very walkable or they have cart and club rentals.

http://www.lasvegasgc.com/-about-the-course

Another option that is not as cheap is Painted Desert.

http://www.painteddesertgc.com/

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will you have a rental car and how far are you willing to travel?

4. Jerry Snuggit

Jerry Snuggit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many courses still run summer rates in September, so you should be able to get some good deals. Rhodes Ranch, The Legacy, Angel Park, Siena are all fine courses that are inexpensive. Your best bet is probably to go to GolfNow.com. Primm Valley, Pauite are very nice also, a little further away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use GolfNow and you can get some great deals in Vegas. I played TPC Las Vegas for $60.

6. Zapisocki

Zapisocki Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we will rent a car, just for golf.. rentals are cheap (20 bucks per day) $10 parking at MGM... we probably could not Uber our way around for $30/day

7. Zapisocki

Zapisocki Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Courses in Vegas are not grass tee to green? So a link style but gravel and snakes for a rough? I am Canadian so bears an elk are normal but not snakes

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far it's 9 iron 1 - Snakes 0.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will echo the GolfNow sentiment.

Primm can get some very low rates (on golfnow and elsewhere) and is pretty nice, but about an hour away. The Valley course there will be less desert-y.

I can't comment on the snakes as I played in January and apparently they hibernate. But yes, many of the courses will have open desert in places where you'd normally have forest or rough.

10. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://vipgolfservices.com/ is a good site to visit to gather details about costs, maintainence, etc. I usually book directly with course after looking at options at this site.

Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Badlands in more "target" golf. Forced carries with landing areas in the fairways. It's a cool play if you what something other than grip and rip it.

12. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Besides GolfNow, PGA tour has bought EZ links and renamed it "Teeoff". Some great deals on it. We played TPC Las Vegas in June for $45 each. Golf Now usually has Revere (2 courses - in Henderson) and a couple of courses in Summerlin available around 11:00 am. Better with a car.

GG

13. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely off topic because it's not a 'value' at all, but if you play golf and are staying at MGM, try and find a way to once in your life play Shadow Creek. Completely spectacular, but like Pebble Beach in budget busting excess. However, just once (maybe if you're winning). Trust me, you'll never regret it.

14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Primm is a nice area. But it's closer to a half hour from the Strip. I got my POS Nissan Versa rental up to 100 and people were still passing me going there. Just don't plan to drive there on a Sunday. You'll be caught in the traffic back to Cali.

But there are fine courses closer to MGM.

15. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Desert Pines is a decent course to play, close to downtown.

If you are up to driving a good ways and want an otherwordly experience, try Wolf Creek in Mesquite.

16. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

If Shadow Creek is above your budget, golf at Las Vegas Paiute Wolf Course or Coyote Springs.

Annual Golf Trip
  17. Zapisocki

Zapisocki Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!

Thank everyone for all the great responses, we will have to do a trip report to repay everyone.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, did I hear a golf thread? September can be tough as it is overseeing season. To me the continuing best play, best value in greater Vegas is Las Vegas Paiute (plus they don't overseed). You won't get a 30 dollar round or anything like that but you have three courses, each of which ranks at the top end of the scale, that are memorable and playable if folks don't walk too far back. I know, I always try to steer people away from nominal plays they could get back home but in many cases for not a load more you can really step it up in Vegas and while on VACATION. And it's a longer drive but Coyote Springs is on a level with LVP.

For a quick round that own't hurt the pocketbook consider Durango Hills, the city's exec course out NW. Vegas has a number of exec options and I've always had this one at the top of the value list in that category.

Primm Valley is another great option. If by some chance you are a member of a ClubCorp course/club back home you can play private Canyon Gate and Bear's Best for a song. My buds and I certainly abused those privileges over the years.

All the quality online discounter/third-party booking site now operate in Vegas so check them out if you don't need to have everything charted out weeks in advance.

PM or email me if you want more specific thoughts or additional recommendations. Have fun!! A couple of us will be there in August sweating our nutz off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.