1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Need to find a good barber for a shave

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Quick Sand, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quick Sand

Quick Sand Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mods, if this is posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move this post.

I'm going to be in Vegas during the third week of July and I needed to find a good barber on the strip for a regular beard trim and shave. I've tried the Art of Shaving a few times and even though the experience was good, they were not able to shape my beard the way I wanted it.

I have a bit of an OCD with the lines of my beard and like it to be perfect and well groomed.

Appreciate any suggestions.

2. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten a shave at the salon at Aria a few times and the lady there (an older maybe Eastern European lady) has done an absolutely FANTASTIC job. I cannot recommend her enough if shes still there.

3. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Art of Shaving. Several locations, but you will pay. If you want to do this on a budget, Ernesto at the El Cortez does this for about $15.00.

Now, keep in mind, the quality of straight blades shaves, and double edge safety razor shaves for that matter is comprised of two key elements. Preparation, and quality of product.

So Ernesto has heated cream. He is experienced and good. But AOS will use better product, including pre shave oil, badger brush, and much, much better shaving soap.

If you're mobile, and considering one of these below (as an example), call them first, and make sure you find out what type of product they are using. If it is just heat shaving soap/cream, any place using better preparation techniques and products would be superior.

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/top-lists/top-straight-razor-shaves-in-las-vegas/

I use oil, badger brush, quality shaving soap and Japanese surgical steel blades at home, so I'm picky as my face has gotten used to better quality shaves. In Las Vegas (and I'll be there when you are) I go to Ernesto, and have for a long, long time, but it is not a better shave than I can do myself, due entirely to product and preparation. It is more relaxing as I don't have to do any work.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to suggest "Art of Shaving" but...
    I would guess you have a as good of a chance of finding someone that would do the "correct" trim vs. being equal to Art of Shaving.

Many of the bigger hotels have shaving folks,but not sure if a haircut person might be better? I got a very nice shave at Aria once.

5. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    REALLY!!!!!! A vacation beard trim????? in Vegas? If you need a trim, do it at home with your regular guy..Your beard is not going to be growing enough where you need a trim on vacation.. Is this just a post to get responses???? you win. By the way, I have had a full beard for over 20++++ years and have had a perfectly full trimmed beard by myself. If you have an OCD, do it yourself.It's not difficult. I think this post is ????????????, Really? It got my response. Good luck in Vegas and a barber. Trim it yourself.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Quick Sand

Quick Sand Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @j52chips thank you very much for your input and suggestions. However, I will need a couple or maybe three shaves during my stay in Vegas. My personal preference is to get someone to do it for me and I enjoy it besides the fact that it would be done well.... at least better than I would be able to pull off on my own.

If I wanted to do it myself I would do it and would not have put up this post. If I wanted to do a post to get a lot of responses, there are a lot of other things I would have posted that would bring in a lot more responses. Last but not the least, if you read the responses above, there a few other people who have gotten a shave in Vegas. Different Strokes for different folks mate ... just a matter of choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would you attempt DIY dentistry as well? :D

8. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you not see the way he PACKED his suitcase in his TR? Impeccably! So, seems he does have a bit of OCD, but a guy has gotta like what he likes. I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be interested in knowing whether you found a place that was able to get the job done to your satisfaction. I hope you'll report back. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
  10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband loves going to a barber for a nice shave & beard trim when we travel (well, he only has a beard in the winter, but he shaves his head every day - he's loved having a straight razor shave on his head.)

I know how to paint my toenails. But I always go for a professional pedicure because the experience is about a LOT more than a paint job ;-)

FYI in Vegas he's only gone downtown - El Cortez, and a barbershop that was right around the corner. He didn't have a beard on those trips so I can't speak to that.

11. Quick Sand

Quick Sand Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So
    I landed up the Art of Shaving. Decent job, top marks for the experience.

12. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband got a good shave at the Art of Shaving - but it was a full shave no beard shaping. I am pretty sure that a year or two ago I asked about shaving on here. Got the referrals from the Art of Shaving -- that you have already tried. Someone suggested that the Bellagio has a barber services also. The services listed are on the Bellagio website. Enjoy your trip and shave.

13. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear the barber at the riviera does a good job........wait nevermind........carry on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.