1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This board is dead.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by NickPapageorgio, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that a lot of folks have moved on, but there's absolutely nothing on here anymore. Is there any way that we can get back to the fun board of 5 years ago?

Nick:beer:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. aaronw915

aaronw915 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt this thread will live long enough so that members can voice their opinions on ways to improve the board

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I hope it does. This board was once a great place to post just about anything. I think voicing opinions might be what is needed. There hasn't been much of that lately, and that's wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly I think it all has been watered down. I am active on 2 of the 3 boards and occasionally check and post on the one that is a lord of the flies experiment. But really all three have the same topics and none hold my interest as long as VMB did when I first joined cause the content is so scattered.

That being said and given some time I do think that the vibrancy will return...when I make my next trip! lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand your statement. Traffic did take a slight a dip when we did the software migration, which lasted a little over 2 weeks. We've had a recent uptick in new registrations and posts in the last month. Overall stats are consistent over the last 3 years. Our rules haven't changed. Our policies about what can and can't be talked about here have not changed. In fact, with the addition of the After Dark section to avoid a conflict with two companies with which I have an affiliate relationship, you are actually able to freely discuss more topics here than 5 years ago.

Yes, some users who were not able to participate within the boundaries of our rules (no spam, no politics and don't be a jerk) did move on, but that hasn't had any effect on the overall content of the board.

I'm not sure what content you are looking for. I think it's all here, same as it ever was.

• Like Like x 3
  6. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I follow the other boards as well and the entertainment factor has certainly moved on from here. The VMB had the market cornered on entertaining trip reports and witty interchanges for several years.

From the OG Hurricane Mikey days to the wild BeeeJay reports, VMB was the place to be. Now, the subject matter experts, the crazy trip reporters and the high rollers have all moved on. Sad in a way, but the fact that as I write this, I fear moderation, is telling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I wish it was more active too. .... So Nick, what do you do and where do you go to get away from the heat? I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, living at 10,000 feet of elevation.

8. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not talking traffic or numbers Sonya. I'm talking content and the lack of quality postings.

Do you really believe that the boards are the same as they ever were? I find that especially hard to believe. Scanning the first 4 pages of threads today, I find only one or two that are even slightly interesting.

In the past 8-10 years on this board, nearly every thread was entertaining. The trip reports were legendary. The banter between even rival members was witty beyond belief. Now, anything I type I first have to second guess as to whether it will be edited by the Mods. On a Vegas board? It's fucking Vegas! Home of hookers, cocaine, the Wolfpack, alcohol abuse and overindulgence of every flavor. The board should match the subject matter. I get the no politics rule, I get the other pleasantries rules, but hypermoderation has changed this place!

Do you disagree?

9. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spend the vast majority of my time in the Middle East and North Africa, and this summer has been unbearable. 104 in Vegas last week was a treat!

10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's been some great reports posted recently. They weren't making $10k bets or putting a cucumber in a hooker's lady parts, if that's what you're looking for.

I've only been on VMB a few years. Has the moderation policy and enforcement changed since you joined in 2007?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely agree that the board constantly changes based on who is posting and the topics. There were some wild trip reports here by a couple of people who have moved on, but what can I do about that? I can't force people to post here if they choose not to. The door to VMB is open. In the 17 years we have been here, people have come and gone. It's the nature of message boards. I think we've had a some great trip reports here recently. Maybe they aren't exactly like other TRs from the past, but they have all been fun reads and like a mini-vicarious Vegas vacation to follow along.

I disagree with your comment about hypermoderation. In fact, creating the After Dark section gave a way for people to talk about hookers and blow and drunken debauchery and other topics that are more "adult" in nature. My moderators and I work very hard here to apply a balanced hand. We don't censor content other than the things that violate the terms you agreed to when you joined the board. You can't post about politics or political opinion. You can't insult or attack another person for not sharing your opinion. You can't spam. That's basically it. We do delete posts asking for information on where to obtain illegal substances, cuz lawyers. I don't think any of that is hypermoderation. The moderators and I try to be sure that we don't overstep and keep the discussion flowing freely as long as it's within the bounds of the rules. The rules haven't changed and our policies about how to deal with content that violates the rules hasn't changed either.

I also think you might have some rose colored glasses about the content here. Not every thread 5 years ago was a winner and super entertaining. I have had regular criticism about content on the board going back to the very early days. Some people complain about the adult language and talking about hookers and strippers. Others complain there isn't enough of that content. ;)

So my question to you is - What threads have you started here lately? Our content is predominantly created by the users of the board. If the current topics aren't interesting to you, then start some threads about the topics that DO interest you. If it's interesting to other members here, they will join you.

• Like Like x 7
  12. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be a "hookers ( female) parts" as she is no lady.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand your point Nick; if the content of other boards better suits what you want to see, then those other boards are for you. I have read many entertaining trip reports here recently that were fun and witty. In light of that, it is insulting to indicate there is no quality content here to those members who entertained us and took the time to post.

I am speaking as a board member in saying, it would appear you are just trying to stir the pot.

Why can't you read the content elsewhere and either enjoy the flavour of this board or move on?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, I lurk at the other boards to see what the former members are up to, lol!

What bothers me is they mentioned VB (Shifter's site) cannot be discussed here. Is this true? They mentioned that it cannot even be discussed in the PM's. Why is this and is it something I don't know about and is common?

I also feel that this board became a little less interesting and I attribute this to members choosing to leave. I do agree that the members make the board interesting and I try to post things of interest but I lack badly at this so it's my bad, not the boards.

To the OP, I thank you for posting something I believe a lot of us were thinking and didn't quite know how to address it. It took a lot of guts and shows you care and am concerned.

Running these types of sites is not easy, I understand that. I respect the fact that VMB and the Admin and Moderators stand true to the standards that were set forth.

I must admit I think twice (and sometimes more) before I post something now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can personally attest to the beyond juvenile behavior on one of the other boards.
    After a brief sojourn, I decided to remain loyal to Sonya become she has been loyal to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha sounds like a blood oath!

17. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah thanks Nick for bringing it. I felt the same everything is so splintered none of it is lively as it used to be.

I am not sure about the censoring of VB, but there is a lot of hatred and vitriol over there by some towards here and possibly she doesn't not want that spilling here. Hell I have gotten PMS by some there asking why I was still here!

Also could be she doesn't want people openly advertising that site here? Sonya will have to answer to that as she does let other vegas sites and blogs post links here.

18. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna, the old adage is that you're part of the problem if you aren't part of the solution. I believe that fits here. I don't know you from Adam. You're probably a great lady. Your attack here is a prime example of the over sensitivity which has resulted in hypermoderation on this board. Why attack me?

I've been a member for many years and this is a 100% accurate observation of this board. See what the other members have to say. I'm not attacking here, rather trying to change the culture to get the excitement back. My psych minor tells me that you're more than just a little sensitive to the topic at hand, which is understandable.

You point out what is insulting as you attack me. Remember, you are a moderator. A good moderator doesn't attack board members, rather lurks in the shadows to keep threads on track. There's no need to power trip, not take shots. I'm being genuine here:

This board has changed and not for the better. Do you want to focus negativity at Nick, or use this as a learning experience, assess, gather possible solutions to an existing problem and focus on improving the situation? It's your choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    was there a reason some memeber left and started another forum ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cukes in the Vegas after dark are legendary. Nuff said.

The policy hasn't changed, per se, but there was a marked increase in the editing and deletion of borderline/ aggressive/ questionable/ pushing the envelope/ Vegas crazy shit/ argumentative/ rivalry between posters/ Moderators being overzealous posts.

We used to tear into each other and challenge each other and it created rivalries but also s certain intellectual charm to the threads. That has disappeared completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.