1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Total rewards paid my room balance with my RCs without asking--typical?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by KKB, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are comped most Sun-Thurs nights in Vegas at CET properties (can vary, but typically most of them).

I stayed Fri/Sat/Sun at Harrahs last weekend; I was comped Fri/Sun but was being charged $40 for Saturday--fair enough. Gave my credit card to surly check in girl (more on that in my trip report).

When I got home I had no credits left (I only had about $40)...emailed & they said they had paid the bill with it.

I really don't mind, and I guess since we rarely stay weekends we don't usually pay. But is it common for them to pay it without you requesting it?

Just wondering.

2. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a bunch of points, so a few times I went well over the room folio I had, i never check out and they would just take points, after my march trip this year I had to tell them what to do as my $200 room hold at CP turned into a $200 charge on my debit card, called and asked and they said I was $200 over my room folio so they just billed my card...finally getting through to the accounting they gave me the option to put cash back and take points if i wanted...now I make sure they take the points first

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, they shouldn't automatically draw down your RCs to pay your final bill unless it's some new policy.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, not normal. The default is to charge your CC or ask at checkout your personal preference.

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its normal .they use the rc before they can comp anything else off , thats there stand practice

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But it doesn't sound like a comp was requested here.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    but he had a balance due , so they took from the rc instead of charging his credit card.to wipe off the differnce . not unusualt thats what they do and if his play was worth more or he asked they would have used his rcs then taken what ever extra they felt he desreved. thats how cet works.

he was staying on a most comp stay

stayed Fri/Sat/Sun at Harrahs last weekend; I was comped Fri/Sun but was being charged $40 for Saturday--fair enough

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. I've been in the same situation. Taking the rest in RCs would have only made sense if this was booked through a host. On a marketing offer, it should default to credit card unless RCs were requested. You can earned points for paying for the hotel so it shouldn't have been assumed to take RCs.

9. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i never book thru a host and im comped any stuff left over they take the rcs then remove or charge the differnce. thats why u use up all your comps before check out,

u can ask them to reverse it they will. but with rcs u pay no tax on a cc u will pay tax

10. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They don't remove the tax if you pay with RC's AFTER you've billed it to your folio. They will remove tax if you give your card at the point of sale to use RC's, though.

They normally ask if you want to use RC's when you're checking out. However, at diamond level and above they send you something to sign and send back with your preferences that asks if you want them to automatically use RC's.

Did the original poster actually go to the desk and check out or just leave and then discovered that they used her RC's before charging the rest to her credit card?

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My stays are similar to the OP's - I get the first 5 nights comped and pay for the last 2. I always have an amount due at the end of my stay, I check out on the TV, and I've never had them pay any of it with RCs.

12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's my experience that it's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) unless you specifically ask NOT TO.

13. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we check in one of us has to initial a box to take the charges out with our RCs at check out. We have a lot of RCs on Michelle's account and like Mare said any food we have we usually use our RCs at the restaurant to not pay tax. We are 7* so I don't know if this is standard procedure for other levels but we have been asked at check in for the last couple years..................Rick

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing that box on a check in form. Maybe I just never noticed it.

15. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like I said it is just something in the last couple of years we noticed. They have asked Shell to initial at Planet Ho, New Orleans, Windsor, I can't remember if at Tahoe but it has been consistent................Rick

16. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input. Like I said, I haven't paid for a room in so long it has never come up. I didn't request it, nor did I notice a box to tick upon checkin. I just leave & don't officially checkout as I never charge anything to the room--if I use RCs to pay for a meal I do so when I pay for the meal so that taxes aren't charged.
    The checkin girl at the diamond checkin was very very rude. I was shocked--I have had nothing but excellent service at any diamond checkin. She says oh, you booked a K Smoking & I said, well, I'd prefer NS, but for some reason smoking was the only room coming up comped so I went ahead & booked it, not a huge deal (both parents were smokers growing up). She then snaps," So DO you want a smoking room or NOT?" Wow, I think I just explained that...I was not being rude, I did not ask for the NS room (though did admit it was my preference) I am of the belief that being kind & polite has gotten me many an upgrade (got us a view room at Aria our 1st 2 nights), so I don't know what her problem was. BUT I never let junk like this ruin a great vacation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.