1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA Precheck Application Fee Credit

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got an email from American Airlines "advertising" the TSA Pre✓ trusted traveler program. Something I ran across in it was a way to have the $85 Application Fee paid for you by using a one of the AA credit cards. I thought this would be a good place to post info on how to receive a credit for the applying for this benefit.

Please, do not post any referral links.

Citi AAdvantage Executive Credit Card ($450 Annual Card Fee)
    Citi Prestige Card($450 Annual Card Fee)
    American Express Platinum Card ($450 Annual Card Fee)
    United Explorer Mastercard ($95 Annual Card Fee)

Delta Platinum\Diamond Medallion Benefits (Earn 75,000 MQMs or 100 MQSs AND $9,000 MQDs in one year)
    Orbitz Platinum Rewards (Use Orbitz to book and stay 12+ Hotel Nights per year)
    United MileagePlus® Promotion (10,000 MileagePlus Miles

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of cards will give you 25-50K or more in signup miles, and credit the tsa precheck or global entry fee.
    Amex gold is a lower annual fee that offers this.

If you are not getting another new card at least every 3-6 months, you are missing out on a lot. We just flew RTW in business on 9 different airlines - FREE

3. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked around the Amex site, but couldn't find anything about a precheck credit for the Amex Gold card. That card's "Consumer $100 Airline Fee Credit" doesn't count toward that, does it?

4. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I registered for the pre-check a few years ago free of charge through United Airlines, who sent notification to frequent flyer's. I was not issued a travel number (at least that I know of, perhaps United has it in their system), never gave fingerprints or remitted a fee. I don't have an assigned number. I typically get pre-check on busy days for United. It doesn't appear to extend to other airlines. I typically use United for most business travel, but prefer heading to Vegas on SWA (leaving straight from work in downtown Chicago) and returning via United to O'Hare. I haven't once received pre-check from SWA.

I received pre-check last Sunday on my way to DC, but not on the return trip. Reagan National's line is typically a 10-15 min line tops. Three months ago, TSA (perhaps jointly with United) consolidated all terminal one lines into one for the general population, creating extra long lines for non priority members or TSA pre-check passengers. They are creating issues to create pressure for more funding.

My job won't reimburse this fee, and I don't really have the time or inclination to go to the airport for an interview process.

5. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no interview for tsa precheck, only global entry.

6. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You book an appointment, they ask twenty questions, review your documents and take your fingerprints. Perhaps global entry takes longer / is more invasive, but I consider having to go in person to apply and be questioned / give fingerprints as an interview process. If I could fill out a form on line without having to go in person to an airport for questioning and fingerprints, I (and likely many others) would consider registering.

Link

7. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't consider verifying my identification information on the form an interview, that's all I did. There were no additional 20 questions. I didn't go to the airport, I went to an identogo location to pay the fee and get printed, it was less than 10 minutes. Global entry is an actual interview with CBP

8. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

We live in a medium sized city in IL (far from Chicago). We have a local office that processes apps for TSA Precheck. We went in with our required ID forms and were met by the only person working. She asked if we had an appointment (we did not) and then told us we might have to wait a while. Since we were already there, we decided to wait. We were both worked into the schedule and left within 45 minutes of our arrival time. Verifying ID and asking if addresses were correct, and then electronic fingerprinting was about the total process.

I got my KTN within two days after the application. My wife's number took about 6 days to arrive. I'm kidding her about her questionable background!

9. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For some of those that got "precheck" through their primary airline years ago without filling out any forms, etc... that is no the real PreCheck. It was an arrangement between some major airlines and TSA. The real precheck works most of the big airlines. (almost all.. I am sure there are some exceptions somewhere).

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  10. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mistake. I have the gold with the $100 airline credit, but not the TSA/Global credit. Corporate Gold does offer it. And Plat cards. There is an Amex Plat card you can get via Ameriprise, free the first year.

11. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a list of airlines here. For example Spirit doesn't participate.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

12. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.