1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ice Plants

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only someone who has played golf on the West Coast will be able to relate to this.

I was standing in line at Lowe's Garden Center when I came across a display of Ice Plants. My hand desperately wanted to reach in and look for golf balls.

Ice Plants are the most evil creation of nature. They swallow golf balls and eat them. Greens Keepers plant them all around the fringes of West Coast greens and hide behind trees and laugh with devilish delight as golfers pull their hair out. I swear that they slope the greens so that the slightest mishit ends up in the ice plants and disappear forever. It's bad enough to chili dip an easy chip shot. You follow exactly where the ball went. You know the speed and trajectory. It can't be more than 6 inches in there. Nope. Gone forever.

I believe there is a secret underground conveyor that funnels all of the balls back to the Pro Shop where they are washed and placed in the 3 for $5 barrels. It's a conspiracy between the greens keepers and the kids who work in the pro shop.

Also involved in this are the mowers, who always manage to pull up about 30 feet behind you. Sure, they shut off their motors and silently sit there, but you know they are rooting for you to fuck up and you do, slicing the ball right into the effing ice plants.

Bastards!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Never played golf on the West Coast -
    and I don't know what an Ice plant is ?
    .......but i will admit to "sort of" aiming at the ball retriever/ mower
    at the driving range.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

BTW -
    I just noticed I got 3,000 !!!!
    I should get into baseball HOF !

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this post. Too funny! It reminded me of the late Robin Williams when he did a stand up and talked about how the game of Golf was designed to drive the players nuts with frustration!

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Played a lot of golf in Vegas, but I also have no idea what an ice plant is. Googled and do not remember seeing those plants on the various courses we played in Vegas.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the whole game is getting worst than politics,its one big lie. Handicaps,scores,ball position in the rough,I could go on and on. Even now in the hi-tech age I think they have rigged the Gps's and distance markers when you hit over water so that you underclub and lose your ball. Even the pretty beverage cart girls who always smile and sometimes flirt are all part of the act. Oh well, they say tennis is a nice game.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you paranoid in other ways, too. lol

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ice plant: Good drought-tolerant slope stabilizer that gives off a riot of color.

10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i thought this was going to be about making and storing ice.....anyone remember the Icehouse downtown?

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some courses in Hawaii have them, I think Kapolei has them. Yeah, not nice to hit into them but also not nice to hit into water or super thick grass. just gotta learn to hit straight, lol.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yes, one of our favorite places to walk to from MSS because they had NFL Sunday Ticket. What an entertainment system they had. The manager once told us they spent 750k on that system.

The original monorail plan was there was supposed to be a stop just across the street and run all the way to Fremont St. When that never happened, it only took a few years for them to go belly up. Last I looked, vacant building still sitting there.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, man, we had 'lectricity where we grew up. lol I recall my grandparents talking about this though. :poke:

• Like Like x 1
  14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My grandmother loved ice plants because the green leaves shine like ice. They bloom with beautiful flower colors and they do grow and expand. They are considered great for the desert and hot areas. I remember seeing them along the highway towards Ensenada, Mexico, when my parents would take us kids for a drive to Mexico from San Diego. The ice plants in Mexico are really beautiful. The color of the flowers were hot pink/purple.... something like that color.

15. MsNVegas

MsNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love our ice plants! They bloom pretty little flowers, we love them as a border ground cover.

16. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fort Ord (long since closed, Monterey) was covered in ice plants. Never saw one - growing up in North Carolina - until I landed there in '80. If I recall correctly, I believe that part of that motivation was the low/non-existent maintenance, as the well groomed grass plots of land were few and far between.

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No kidding? It was the Fort Ord Bayonet Golf Course where I first encountered them.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.