1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airbag recall(s) has this effected you, family,or someone you know

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bernie2, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airbag recalls certainly can get your attention whether it's a vehicle of yours / friend / family member or whomever. If this has happened to you was the vehicle sold / traded or parked or the light disconnected. How have you come to terms with it and what advice do you have for others. I'm looking for a newer vehicle and this is certainly a concern for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have two Toyotas and both have been recalled for the airbags. My Rav4 took one trip back to the dealer and it was fixed. My Corolla is another story. It's on its 3rd or 4th trip back. First time back for the recall the dealership didn't have the right personnel on hand that were trained to perform the work so the gave me a rental and told me to come back the next day. They said my car passed the inspection and all was good. Nothing needed to be done. It was recalled again because they decided the inspection wasn't good enough and a part needed to be replaced. Except they didn't have the parts in stock to sit tight and wait. Got that replaced. Another recall arrived to replace more parts. Again the parts were not in stock but they recommend you either don't drive, don't have a passenger, or you could buy a new car. I waited. Got the new parts. Now, it's recalled again. Been about 4 months. I'm taking it in in the summer. Overall, I'm not too worried about it. I'm not aware that airbag recall affects any newer vehicles. My vehicle are 2003 and 2004. My 2004 Rav4 just turned 300,000 miles last weekend.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not really following the entire line of questioning, but both our cars -- a VW and a Honda -- are subject to this recall. When the fix-it parts become available we'll take 'em in.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Co-worker called the dealership, they said park it and go to Enterprise for a rental, Parts may not be in till early/mid summer. Enterprise was out of economy cars so they provided a mini-van with 200 miles on it. Leather seats and all the bells/whistles. I'm waiting to see if comparison will kill the contentment they had with the current SUV.

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    got the recall notice last week , I dont think I'll get it fixed, I did see the ridiculous advice that you not drive it until they fix it - which will be months away.

6. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Takata has agreed to recall 40 million more airbags as of Wednesday. This could raise the number to a possible 69 million. The government said the inflators have to be replaced before they reach 6 years old as that is when the risk of rupture increases. This should take until the end of 2019. There have been 11 deaths and more than 100 injuries worldwide blamed on the Takata parts

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK Merlin, I'm kind of with you on the don't drive it, unless they are paying for the rental in the meantime. But, why would you not get the free fix?

8. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friend told me his BMW dealership has around 50 used BMW's in storage that he can't sell because of the bad airbags and he didn't think he would get them replaced until the end of the year.. I got a notice last week on my CR-V and they said end of summer.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont like to mess with a car that's running good, and my toyota is running great, I also had a recall for some possible ignition thing years ago and never took it in for that either. You go back to the dealer and pretty soon they're trying to sell you something or push you get the car "serviced". Also i dont think there is anything wrong with the airbags either, they make millions of these and a few dozen people have problems and now we're all supposed to panic? I may take it in when the time comes but the thought of taking the time to bring it in and sit there for an hour or two will likely discourage me.

10. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't think there is anything wrong with the airbags? So the recall of 8 million or so is a joke?

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fluoride, the Trilateral Commission, the Grassy Knoll.

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a joke, an overreaction perhaps, the question is are they defective, and most likely 99% of them are not. I believe this started as a limited recall in certain states, where climate conditions could cause problems with airbag deployment(pieces flying off, etc). Now the panic has spread to a total recall and will probably force the company(takada) out of business.

They recall cars but dont have the parts to fix them (for many months), tell people not to drive them(total nonsense, just to cover their ass), fear mongering at its worst, they may as well tell all the fearfull soccer moms to have their children wear motorcycle helmets inside cars.

The sky is not falling IMO.

13. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wednesday, the U.S Department of Transportation ordered Takata to recall 35 to 40 million more airbags. The recalls will take place in phases through 2019.

Essentially, the expanded recall means Takata must now recall every single one of its ammonium nitrate-based propellant airbag inflators without a chemical drying agent known as a desiccant. It prevents moisture absorption and without it, moisture can cause inflators to degrade and explode when deployed under certain conditions.

Wednesday’s expanded recall is on top of the nearly 29 million inflators already covered by the largest recall campaign ever in U.S. history.

14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tekada should tell them where to put their recall, total BS, i wonder how many people are parking their cars?

15. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did Tekada issue the recall or did the U.S Department of Transportatio?

16. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The DOT told Takada to issue the recall.

17. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They also proved that manufacturer knew it was defective and failed to act. I've read some stories about these problems and some of the injuries/deaths were pretty gruesome. Like getting hit in the face with shrapnel.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My car is not included. Everytime, there is a new list and my car is not on it, I feel like I missed the cut. And I don't get why anyone wouldn't take this seriously. It would take your airbags malfunctioning to know if there really was a problem and considering what it takes to activate them....

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, these guys should be under no requirement to be responsible suppliers.

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I phoned my dealer. They said mine is not affected. At least for Mitsubishi it's mostly older models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.