1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

opinon on 1st class vs SWA 2nd seat

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ace-n-Lucille, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guy. I saw your report in the trip reports section (glad you had a good trip), and remembered that you were the one who offered to report back on your flying experiences re: 1st class vs. a 2nd seat on SWA.

I remember that you are approximately Ace's size and weight, and your opinion on your flights would really help me make a decision on how to go.

So, if we are not at all interested in all the possible "extra amenities" that comes with flying first class, only concerned with Ace's comfort, and considering that first class fares are likely to be twice the cost of purchasing two seats for him on SWA.....

Was first class worth the extra money to you? Or were you almost as comfortable with the SWA two seats, considering the savings?

Feel free to tell me any details that might pertain too! Thanks so much.....

2. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucille: I much prefer the third seat option on SWA. You get to pre-board with that option, more often than not your third seat is refunded, and by pushing up the seat divider you have as more room than on the FC seat(at least on AA.) Just buy a large water or other drink after TSA, and you'll be fine and dandy. No question SWA 3rd seat wins by a large margin! The main difference is the constant food and drink you are fed, but that sure doesn't add up to all the extra money you spend for FC! FC was NOT worth the extra money, the third seat option with SW was as good as if not better than AA FC all things considered!

3. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hotreds: you have just made my day!

I suspected as much. We, like you, don't need plied with food and drinks our entire 2 1/2 -3 hour flight. I just need Ace to be not-uncomfortable. I am happy to look forward to saving a big chunk of change.

(1) you get pre-boarding. Does your companion get pre-boarding along with you? (Ace just isn't good about doing things without me right along.)
    (2) in which case, I would not spend the extra money on SWA's Early Bird (check-in?). Would you recommend spending the extra money for this, or does getting your pre-boarding option with the 2nd-seat fare make this moot? In which case, save the money and not pay for Early Bird check-in?

You are being a huge help to me and I thank you again.....

4. Shoftiel

Shoftiel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a big guy as well and often use the extra seat from SWA. I normally dont pay for it as I havent encountered a full flight yet, all I do is go to the SWA counter after the check in and tell them that I'm a "customer of size" and thats it, they will get me the extra seat with a "reserve seat" label, as if I didn't have people will love to seat next to this big guy. You also get pre-bording (second to board right after anyone that actually needs assistance) and if you are travelling with a party you are allowed to have 1 companion go with you. Hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions about us big people let me know.

5. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Companion pre-boards with you. My wife and I board together, and place the "occupied Seat" form( which you get from the person at the podium by the gate) in the middle seat. EZ PZ! I recommend buying the third seat when you make your reservations- that way SW can have a better count. They are being more than helpful to me, so I'll do anything I can to return the favor!

6. Shoftiel

Shoftiel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you buy the extra ticket, how fast is it refunded?

7. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the price of the second seat only refunded if it isnt a full flight? And since you preboard, are you not allowed to sit in an exit row?

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, First Class is about the service -- such as it is on domestic carriers -- not just the seat width. And the extra leg room, which is what I really like. Sadly I fly steerage most of the time.

9. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The refund is usually in two weeks. So far, I've had two third seat options refunded, technically they only refund if it is not a full flight, but I always call and ask anyway. So far, so good! I imagine they don't want you sitting in an exit row if you are unable to "perform the functions required of a person sitting in an exit row," but I don't want to anyway, so that's moot for me. OTOH, if you're willing and able to do what it takes, I reckon they'd let you sit there.

10. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How and when do you reply for the refund? We purchased the extra seat and would like to understand how to get the refund in the event the flight is not full.

11. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks again hotreds and the rest of y'all. I will still check pricing both ways for our trip, but feel good knowing that SWA extra seat purchase is a viable option if the price difference is worth it. (AND, we fly from TUL, so it's not like we have a huge range of airlines to choose options from.....)

12. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My fiance and my father are both "customers of size". Before the demise of AirTran, I always upgraded to business class so we would have the extra room. The southwest option is awesome, but make sure you buy it when the cost is low. We got it for free on our flight to las vegas, but then on the way home the flight was sold out and we could not get it for free. So from now on, we will always pre purchase the seat and not take that chance. Since I am smaller, I had to be crushed in the middle seat. I won't do that again. 1st class is ok, but not for the price they charge. Food is never that good and I can't utilize the free alcohol more then one drink because I rent a car when I get off the flight. Have to stay legal.

13. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just call SW customer service line after my trip is over.

14. Shoftiel

Shoftiel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I recall correctly the only 3 thing that wont allow you to seat in the emergency seat are:

1. underage.
    2. you feel unable to perform the duties.
    3. If you need to use a seat belt extender.

15. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is this "2nd seat option" (or 3rd) that you guys are talking about?

If I check into SWA and tell the counter agent I'm big, I get a free second seat? Or do I have to buy it???

Inquiring minds want to know!

16. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to buy it.

And the reason I asked about the exit row is that the standard preboards are not allowed to sit there. Not sure if this is because they don't meet the requirements, or if SW just has a blanket policy against any preboards sitting in the exit row.

17. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of incorrect things in this thread:

You get the refund for the extra seat even if the flight is completely full.

Technically, you don't have to buy the seat in advance. You can just go up to the counter and ask for a 2nd seat. (They prefer you purchase the extra seat in advance so they won't have to bump anyone).

You cannot sit in an exit row. They will tell you this before you pre-board.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

18. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    from the uk i dont understand why people of size are getting refunds for having 2 seats

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So how does this work? If you need a second seat you can reserve one in advance and then if the plane doesn't sell out (excluding that one extra seat) you get a refund? Or you can roll the dice at the gate and get another seat for free if available at that time?

20. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you need a 2nd seat, you reserve one in advance. You can get a refund for the 2nd ticket after the flight (even if the plane does sell out).

You can also request another seat for free at the gate. According to their customer of size policy, they will try to accommodate your needs. The gate agent may want to kill you though if the flight is already oversold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.