1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

60 Minutes And The Bubba Watson Piece ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

So......what the hell was that ?
    I thought it might be a "fluff" piece --
    and it sorta was ?......with The Masters on CBS this week.
    But........
    "85% of the guys on the tour, yell at their caddy at some point."
    says Bubba's caddy.
    What else is that employee suppose to say ?
    But.........HOW do those guys "yell" at their caddies ?
    :nono:
    Not on the Tee Box !.........where the tour players know they're mic'd.
    Bubba was a @ss for that !.....he was wrong !:thumbsdown:
    Yell at the guy OFF MIC !!!!........down the fairway or quietly somewhere else !
    Blaming a caddy ? YOU ARE AN @SS !
    But then.......some minutes later, in the piece ---
    We find out Bubba is a bit nutz........in his "normal" life.
    Are we suppose to "feel" for him ?....It's not his fault ?
    Were we to feel sorry ?..............I didn't.
    My wife just said, "He's not right. Oooh, he's nutz."
    One little kid running up on him - is "frightening".............? :Þ Stop it, please.
    What did you feel about this piece ?

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't see it. But it doesn't sound like a revelation.

I'm not out following the tour on a weekly basis but have talked to Bubba a few times, done an event with him, and colleagues and tour guys I know have shared their thoughts, and Bubba is indeed out there, no question. He's volatile, brilliantly creative with a club in his hands, pouty, fiery, immensely talented, not exactly universally liked and a first-rate screwball.

One thing about players it ALWAYS is the fault of someone else or something else. Sure, Spieth gets in the interview room and talks about we, we, we and takes the bullet, but he's like all the others in deflecting the cause of what is actually nothing more than them hitting a bad shot. "Bad" yardage, spike mark, puff of wind or in Bubba's case a butterfly flapping its wings five fairways over, they're just wired not to be the cause, there can be no self-doubt when you are one of that caliber.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wanted to watch it but missed it. Is it on On-Demand?

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didnt watch. But Bubba Watsons 'issues' were well documented before. Just a bizarre guy. They aren't recent excuses.

I would not pity him. But I would have some wonder and appreciation for a guy with his ticks and a self made swing being able to compete with the best in the world at something.

As for yelling at his caddie, if his caddie is fine with it, what should we care? I'm sure that caddie could find a much more easy going player to work for .... and end up making a quarter as much or less.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for yelling at his caddie, if his caddie is fine with it, what should we care? Well if Woods did it then it would be the lead on every sports show for a week so it just depends who is yelling. Can't think of her name but last year a LPGA player fired her caddy in the middle of play and had her boyfriend take over. It was mostly a non issue on the sports shows.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    X years ago Ted Scott walked. Told Bubba he was done being the whipping post. That did not end Bubba's tirades, obviously, but it apparently put it into some type of box with which both could live.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most interesting part of that report to me was that his dad was a Green Beret in Nam similar to Tigers old man. Is there something there in military kids upbringing?
    I thought the little girl thing was just sad.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Ken,
    Good thought about no room for self doubt at that level.
    I think that's why I stayed away from "individual" sports -
    and was always on "team" sports.
    I wrestled for 2 years --- I hated the time between a match I lost +
    the next match.
    I mentally, beat myself up so bad - I didn't like that aspect of competing individually.
    And Tennis was probably my best game --- but I stayed away from competing in it.
    Football /basketball/ baseball - as most of us did........Team stuff.

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Woods did it I would have the same reaction.

It would be an outsized story because everything is, but that does not mean it SHOULD be.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The press was far more protective and supplicating of the ever-churlish Tiger than exposing ... at least until TMZ and co. showed up in the wake of the Ho Down.

12. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't agree less.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course not, you're our resident Tiger Guy, the Kelly Tilghman of VMB. lol It's all good!!

14. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't feel sorry for Ted Scott, Bubba's caddy.

10% for a win and say and average of 5% on the rest of the winnings....already this year with his 1 win at $1.22 million (122k) and $1.45 million in other earnings this year ($72,500), not bad of a year coming into the first week of April.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Umm, yep. He's not chained underground in some salt mine.

But that's different than Bubba (and others) acting like a churlish turd, particularly given how many more $$$$ he's taking down for playing a sport.

16. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubba hit the nail on the head by saying he's not perfect and trying to get better. His actions on the course are well documented, both before and after his rise to stardom. These guys aren't shooting for the lower end of the grade curve. When they make mistakes most get hot and some get hotter. Bubba is in the latter category of course. When it comes to the 85% figure, I know it's a majority, but how high I can't say. One thing I do know, you're not seeing a good cross section when you watch on Sunday afternoon. The leaderboard groups got there by playing well and most will on Sunday also. You don't get very upset by hitting good shots. About 20 years ago I watched Paul Goydos go into a meltdown during a qualifying round. It was actually embarrassing to watch. Most would tab him as one of the good guys. He had a bad day. I'm sure they all have their moments.

When it comes Tiger, of course they protected him. He not only changed the average income of tours players. but he added a lot of pesos to networks' bottom lines. It would drive me nuts when I would turn coverage on to see the leader on schedule to shoot 60 or 61. Tiger would be T20 and the first ten minutes would be showing Tiger's shots before you ever saw the leaders. I understood his importance, but get real. Now we're limited to 9 irons into a simulator!

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

17. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because golf nerd will watch no matter but casual viewer will watch because of Tiger. Nobody on sports talk or no more then a 2 minute golf stuff on ESPN now that Tiger isn't involved. Tiger plays and Golf is big time. It is how it works.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess my takeaway on Bubba always blubbering "I need to be a better man" is that he's always saying that, and has for quite a while. On the one hand we shouldn't pillory a guy for speaking his mind, particularly after enduring the Tiger Non-Statement Statement Effect for so many year, but he also just says some flat out odd things, out there stuff; it's not Phil talking about the tax structure in CA. And why not just be a better person? Men need to be better at certain things and not at others?

Oh, Sunshine Goydos can go all Pate at times, but, yep, he is a good guy. Probably one of the most grounded and approachable guys out there, even when he's grumbling.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's true, to an extent. But numbers aren't numbers aren't numbers. When it comes to real value, it is all demographics, and when you look at all the parameters for PGA Tour fans vs. the three big team sports, the economic and educational disparity is anywhere from significant to WOW across the board. The people footing golf's bill don't give a shit if Trailer Bob from Tuscaloosa is tuning in. Golf and golf purses will survive Tiger going into his declining years. Now participation is another matter, as aging is the #1 participatory concern, but then Tiger never really drove that needle as it turns out, anyway.

Tiger came along at the right time and floated every boat in the ocean ... OK, maybe not the LPGA. Golf will still do fine -- at least until we all die.

20. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that depends what fine is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.