1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Seeking some "new place" recommendations downtown

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by notfromconcentrate, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As my signature might suggest, I'm off to downtown Vegas this weekend - and as is the case with every one of my trips, I like to try something new. Having said that, I'm seeking recommendations (with price being no object, and emphasis being on a balance of quality and uniqueness in whatever form it may take) for the following "categories"...

- Breakfast (one meal I take very seriously... I'm planning to try Du-Par's - if there is a reason I shouldn't, please let me know)
    - Oysters (one of my favourite snacks - I'm of Bostonian and Nova Scotian heritage, so this is also something I take seriously)
    - Cocktail/late night snack (my flight will be getting in at 11:30 pm on Friday, and would definitely fancy a nice cocktail and something to munch on)

Or if there's something totally out there that has full-out cool factor - by all means, please recommend it! I am a person who values new experiences - and the more unique, the better!

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  2. benbrownjr

benbrownjr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since your flight arrives late I suggest the 777 brewery at MSS. it's open 20 hours a day and they do offer late night specials. For quick food pizza rock next to the downtown grand or the pizza place inside the plaza. If you have never gone to hash house a go go. Just a few thoughts

3. CoveredinBeer

CoveredinBeer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely try Dupars for breakfast, it's excellent. Oysters, I'm not sure. One of the great steakhouses downtown like Oscars, Hugo's Cellar or Andiamo's probably can accommodate. As for unique, I would go to Le Thai near the El Cortez. It's authentic Thai food.

4. kfn8ed

kfn8ed Tourist

I our opinion DuPars is not all that great. We really liked it back when it was the Bay City Diner. Seemed there was always a line waiting to get in. Not so much anymore. Food is not as good as in the past, nor are the menu options. Used to be more of a locals hangout. We have given up on it.

5. CoveredinBeer

CoveredinBeer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this for food other than breakfast? I've never had anything else there. I've heard this opinion before. They're known for breakfast, pancakes especially. I don't get them but I love a good eggs over easy. Maybe breakfast is good but other options aren't?

6. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, this surprised me as well. Dupars is my go to for breakfast downtown. Breakfast 24/7, so I never go with anything else. (can't seem to get beyond their amazing pancakes)

I would also recommend Carson Kitchen. Its amazing. Bacon Jam. Order it and love it.

7. iluv2fish

iluv2fish Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would suggest you try Eat for breakfast, across from the container park. The menu is online so you can check it out before. For something new and unique, F Pigalle has a variety of fondue, including chocolate. They are also on line. We also like to give a new place a try on each trip, so next month we will try Therapy. The menu looks quite interesting.

8. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best breakfast downtown is at Eat. Period.

9. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 (and their lunch is pretty good, also)

We also don't care much for Dupars - not a fan of the "butter" that covers the pancakes, and prices aren't nearly as cheap as they used to be.

10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would I then be best to meet in the middle and have brunch there? :p

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  11. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree. Bay City Diner was MUCH BETTER! We always ate at BCD. We have tried DuPars a few times and have been disappointed. Maybe it's our food choices, but we don't go there anymore.

12. cmani

cmani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also agree about Bay City Diner vs DuPars.

Since you're stressing uniqueness and getting in late anyway, the oxtail soup is only served after 11pm at Market Square Cafe at the Cal. They also have a surprisingly decent salad bar and other good menu options.

13. bhanson

bhanson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another agree to Bay City Diner vs. DuPars. I have been very unimpressed with DuPars. Nothing special and seems quite expensive!

For Breakfast I like Magnolia's Veranda at Four Queens (Ham and Eggs) and the Paradise Cafe (located a back of Buffet). They have a unadvertised Steak and Egg special for about $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.