1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

High Prices for March Madness

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Madchef, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madchef

Madchef Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got my tickets and my hotel, coming in on Friday to Monday of March Madness opening weekend. Is it typical to pay 1k for Mirage/Airfare? I mean I can't wait to go since I have a feeling it will be a great weekend, just wondering if not out of the ordinary to pay such a premium?

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This year has been more expensive for airfare and hotels for SB weekend and MM

I'm going for MM and ended up taking a connection to save $350 on my ticket. I'd normally pay $650-700 for first on a non stop but this time it was close to $1100. And only for MM days. If I checked the week before and after MM it was normal.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years back I started flying in on Wednesday for MM to avoid the higher ticket cost. Now, Wednesday flights cost the same as Thursday and Friday. Fortunately, a Monday flight out is still cheaper than leaving Sunday, but I wonder how many more years we can expect that

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  4. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah this year I would've had to fly in on Tuesday. On SB weekends I'd come out on Thursday but now they're hip to that so I prefer to catch the first flight out on Saturday and stay later into the next week

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, I had an insanely good deal for Super Bowl -- my flight was only about $200 r/t on American from NYC. Hotel wasn't "cheap", but was about average for any other weekend at Aria. I think if anything airfares have been way more variable this year, both in terms of highs and lows.

6. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NYC has more options for flights and carriers than I do here in Houston. United has its customers here by the balls

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair. What I left out was that (1) I exclusively fly AA unless it's absolutely necessary, so that's really all I ever check, and (2) I haven't seen non-stop flights on AA between NYC and Vegas for less than $400 in the last several years (I think I paid close to $600 for Thanksgiving weekend, I'm looking at $525 for an upcoming random July weekend, etc.), so the fact that the flight for Super Bowl weekend was only about $200 was astounding to me.

8. Madchef

Madchef Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so I guess the rates are just par for the course. I don't mind paying for the going rate. From all the reviews of March Madness it should be a blast and well worth the money......hope I can win a few parlays to offset the costs

9. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indeed. That's why I often fly Southwest. Hobby FTW! :D

10. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah no doubt - that's a helluva deal!

This is my maiden voyage for MM too and I enjoy some good parlay action. Good luck!

I'm on the NW side so Hobby is a pain to get to unless it's the crack of dawn before rush hour or late at night. I miss Continental!

11. karlmonday

karlmonday Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly in Tuesday afternoon and then fly out the following Tuesday($79 each way on SouthWest) from Dallas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.