1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airport to Downtown...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Backagain1, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually take a Presidential Limo to our hotel. This time we will be arriving on a weekday at midnight. We want to stop at Walmart and then head to our downtown hotel.
    Should we stick with Presidential or go with Uber? Our luggage will be in the car as we go in to get our groceries, I wonder if it will be safe with Uber.

Just kind of thinking out loud and would love feedback.

Thanks!

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you saying you think the uber guy is going to rummage through your luggage while he waits for you, I doubt that.

3. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As well as having your details, uber also have the drivers. I'd say you're just as safe as with a limo driver.

4. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, yes that is what I was saying. However as wigwam_salesman stated "you're just as safe as with a limo driver."
    That was what I was not sure of.
    Thanks again.

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How would it work with a uber driver waiting on you, it's not like a taxi with meter waiting time? Unless if you gave him cash on the side the driver would get cheated since the original estimate is about all that would be paid.

6. dogboy

dogboy Tourist

No Uber charges by the minute. Not sure about Vegas but in CLT where I live it's 16c a minute base. Make sure you're not on Surge rate though.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, didn't know that.

8. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They charge by time and mileage. Check one of your receipts. It will be broken down by these two things as well as a base fare.

9. dogboy

dogboy Tourist

Yeah CLT is $1 for pick up, 75c a mile 16c a minute (driver gets 80%) then Uber tacks on a $1.65 Booking Fee on top of that (used to be called the safe rider fee before the class action lawsuit)

10. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless of where you initially said you were going when you booked the ride, it's all done in gps so you can go wherever you want and they will bill you for it. I've never been billed wait time but I don't know for sure that they can't do that if they want to.

11. pollyspa

pollyspa MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, we have always had to use taxis from the airport to downtown. Maybe it's because we are English but nearly every time we get long hauled. How much would a limo cost please? Thanks

12. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Presidential do a round trip for about 130 dollars plus taxes and tip.

To be honest, if I was going downtown from the airport I'd probably take the freeway as well so it might not really be a long haul in your case.

13. pollyspa

pollyspa MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch! $130 plus I'll try Uber or Lyft.
    As for the long hauling, last year one driver took us from terminal 3 to terminal 1, then through the tunnel & then way past the downtown off ramp. Another time our cab took us via Industrial. Not a great way to start a vacation is it?

14. swimjim10

swimjim10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Renting a car is not an option? If it is, that sounds like option #1! I know driving on the strip is harrowing (especially at the witching hour) but you have unlimited freedom to make all the stops you want. Hope you have a good trip and find whatever option works out for you best!

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Notice the word in your post " ESTIMATE"

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to review all the tales of how to avoid long haul.
    1 - You tell the driver - no tunnel please right after getting in.
    2 - If he takes the tunnel, be quiet. Upon arrival, snap a picture of his license. Then tell him you are not paying until after you call the taxi commission.
    3 - At that point your ride may be free. Of you can offer to pay a reduced amount and he will take it and leave.

17. VegasVic777

VegasVic777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just take an Airport Shuttle.
    $18 round trip
    No long haul
    It's clean, simple and super easy.
    I take it every time I'm there.
    Shuttle pick-up/drop-off locations:
    Terminal 1: Follow the signs to ground transportation from baggage claim on level 1. The shuttle will be located outside doors 10 and 11.
    Terminal 2: Follow the signs to baggage claim. Exit the sliding glass doors and the shuttle will be located in the median.

Downtown Las Vega$
  18. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plaza & Golden Nugget now have dedicated shuttles that run to/from the airport. If you're staying at either one of those, check with them about transportation.
    If not, then in all seriousness, I would suggest the WAX...$2 per person....and just about as quick as a cab...and no matter what, it is easily the BEST way to go back to the airport!
    If you don't feel comfortable taking the bus, then grab a 'towne-car' limo just out side of baggage claim.
    Those are $50 (+ tip) so figure $60... a tunnel-taking cab will run you over $40, so the towne-car isn't much more per person.

I advise against using the airport hotel shuttles when going downtown...you could easily be looking at a 1-hour+ trip, as they typically stop at 4 or 5 strip hotels before heading downtown.

Annual Spring Trip!
  19. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the WAX a good option if you have one full size luggage or is this option worthwhile if you have a small carry on?

20. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are places to put luggage - even larger bags - on the WAX... but it needs to be on rollers, otherwise, your walk from the bus stop downtown (4th @ Carson) to your hotel could be sort of miserable.

PS - looks like we'll be at the Golden Gate at the same time...you will probably spot me at the UTH table there...come say hi (yes, I answer to 'topcard'!)

Annual Spring Trip!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.