1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP - Strategy cards for Ultimate X/Quick Quads/Multi-Strike?

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by BreakEven, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started out on JoB, then learned somewhere that there were simple strategy differences between that and DDB. I've got the old set of Bob Dancer cards, but it just covers the basic game types.

I'm trying to get a handle on how I should change my play on these games. Also, I have a horrible memory, which is not enhanced by alcohol, so instead of having a full card detailing the best plays, I'd rather just have a list of the differences between normal DDB play vs. DDB play on one of these variants.

I know wizardofodds has posted strategies for a variety of games/styles. Has anyone turned these into strategy cards, or highlighted the significant differences between them?

Example:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/ultimate-x/double-double-bonus/
    "Basic" strategy for Ultimate X DDB is *45* lines!

Related true story: I played/wasted money on quick quads multiple times before actually figuring out how it works. I thought the game just awarded "normal" quads more frequently. :ssst:

2. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crap, it doesn't? I played that for a while last trip, was wondering where all my quads were!!

Taking the wife to a work conference
  3. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/tables/quick-quads/ Well, according to that, it DOES award them a little more frequently, but the real point of the game is being able to get 3OAK then if the remaining 2 cards add up to the value of the (2-10) card in the 3OAK, that counts as a quad.

Glad I'm not alone!

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, a few years back at my local a lady was playing it. The game yells out "Quick Quad" because she draws something like 777 34 (3+4=7). She is like, what happened? I then explain to her what a "Quick Quad" actually is. The help screen explains how the game works, but who in the hell reads that other than me? :eek: I'm not sure what the cost is by playing quick quads like a normal poker game, but it likely is more costly than playing Ultimate X like a normal poker game (about a 0.6% penalty for Ultimate X...much SMALLER than I initially guessed.)

And yes, quick quads has some fairly crazy changes because of the rules of the game. I typically don't play this high, but I said "what the hell" recently at a local and pull this off when holding 443. I held the 3 correctly because I was looking for this exact miracle. Quick Quad! But if I had a pair of 5s or better, I wouldn't hold the kicker. Not worth it. Any trips though, you should hold a lower kicker though (e.g. 7773, 555A, etc.) Ace = 1 for kickers. Also a pair with 2 kickers is strong (e.g 7752) It's worth breaking up 2 pair if the two pair pays only 5.

[​IMG]

As for your original question, I dunno if anyone has done it yet. The games are fairly different strategies.

As for 8/5 DDB Ultimate X strategy vs. 8/5 Standard DDB strategy here is a list of major changes from what I can see.

In 8/5 DDB with Ultimate X...major changes from standard DDB are:

Hold ALL 2 pair, even 2 pair with Aces
    Hold 4 to a flush over 3 to a Royal.
    All outside straights (e.g. 4567) are better than low pairs.
    All inside straights w/3 high cards (e.g. AQJT) is better than 2 to a Royal.
    3 to a flush w/2 high cards is better than AK, AQ, AJ suited.
    3 to a straight flush with one gap better than any 2 or 3 card offsuit hold.
    QJT offsuit is better than QJ offsuit.
    An Ace-low straight draw and any inside straight draw with a high card is better than 2 offsuit high cards or JT suited.
    JT suited and any 2 offsuit face cards better than Ace only.

Again...might be missing some things here. Probably vette
    3 to a flush with one face card is better than KT, QT suited or face card only.
    3 to a flush with no high cards is better than garbage,

This list may not be exhaustive. But those are the biggest changes I noticed between the strategies I linked. Again, playing DDB straight up only costs you 0.6% more in house edge. I assumed 3 to 4% before I did the math with help of VP calculators.

As for 9/5 DDB Quick Quads Strategy vs. 9/5 DDB Strategy

222-444 with QQ kicker beats a full house.
    Trips with QQ kicker beats trips only
    One pair + 2 QQ kickers (e.g. 7734) beats inside straight flush draw and 2 pair.
    22-44 + QQ, 44, TT better than 4 to a flush
    22-44 + kicker is better than 22-44 only.
    Pairs ALWAYS better than outside straight draws.
    3 to a straight flush that has QQ potential (i.e. A34 suited) and 3 SF with high card slightly worse than outside straight draws.
    Ace with QQ potential or 3 SF w/QQ potential better than Ace only.
    3 to a flush with QQ potential is better than 3 SF with 2 gaps.

The QQ changes may be very rough. Please look at the full strategy links.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  5. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything more complex than BP on Ultimate X makes my head hurt. Those games and Quick Quads would preclude any drinking!! What would you consider the minimum playable pay table for JoB/BP on Ultimate X?

PS. On the wizard's strategies, what exactly does something like 23Q to 8TK mean? I'm not sure of the permeuations you'd get with that.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One notch below full pay for either. And full pay for Ultimate X are 8/6 JoB and 7/5 Bonus. So 8/5 JoB and 6/5 Bonus are okay (~98%). Any time you find bonus it must be at least 6/5 anyway. Cosmo used to have 6/5 Bonus for as cheap as 3-line nickels. I'll try to remember double checking that. The Wizard's Strategy for 7/5 Bonus Ultimate X is satisfactory for 6/5 Bonus. And even if you eschew changing your strategy for Ultimate X, 6/5 Bonus still pays back 97.67%, which is 0.8% more than normal 6/5 Bonus! Following the Ultimate X strategy will get you above 98% though.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.