1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Kudos to SWA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mescalita, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because of flooding in the Austin area our Oct. 30 flight home from Vegas got canceled. I had signed up for text alerts and didn't receive one. After checking out of our hotel we realized that SWA had sent a voicemail notification instead. Ended up staying two more nights because of few direct flights into Austin. Lack of text alert and having to pay a second time for early boarding when re-booking definitely irked me a little.
    However, there are worse places to be stuck then Vegas. :eek: No problems extending car rental with Dollar (pretty cheaply.) El Cortez comped us a Tower room, Halloween downtown was a hoot. But I digress....
    Sent a minor complaint email to SWA when we got home. A couple days later we got a very nice and personal response explaining the Austin control tower flooding issues, apologizing for the non-text alert, and refunding the EB cost. They also sent each of us a $100 Luv Voucher, good on any flight. It is really nice to find some decent customer service these days. :peace:

2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they are good. We had issues back in August with delayed flight out of Austin and poor communication on their part. After contacting customer service they gave us two $100 Love vouchers also.

3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have a bad reputation with many travelers and I don't know why. As long as I'm not rich enough to fly private and have to fly commercial, I wouldn't choose any airline over Southwest. Great customer service, no fees for bags, have only had one late flight and it was on the ground 6 minutes after it's scheduled arrival, heck I've even received free beer as they were getting rid of the Leinenkugel's seasonal.

So let the critics say what they may but Southwest is without a doubt my commercial airline of choice. It kills me that they are ending service from FNT to LAS in April, easiest airport and non-stop flight but now will have to fly out of DTW. Thankfully, I get one more go round for my March Madness trip in the end of march!

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think many that "say" they hate them are just yakking. Of course, if you are a FF that often gets upgrades, or even select seating, then SW does not look so great. Or having to deal with their boarding process when you are accustomed to "priority boarding" elsewhere.

Amazing that so many are quick to trash them, but if you look at the numbers, they fly almost as many passengers as anyone. They are no little company, and they have been making money on a regular basis.

5. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not take the 45 mile trip to LGA or a little further to EWR and fly direct?? Rates are probably at least a touch cheaper than ISP too.

Like I mentioned, FNT is stopping service to LAS in April 2016. It's my local airport about 15 minutes from my home. Now I will have to travel about an hour to DTW for SW non-stop flights to LAS but will still do it thanks to affordable fares, no bag fees and great customer service.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you! I honestly believe many of the "haters" are the same folks that say, "MEH" to almost every restaurant experience they've had... they seem to enjoy being difficult to please... it's their "thing". I've flown SWA almost exclusively 20-25 times a year for the past 10 years. I think they do a great job! When I have had issues, they've been satisfactorily resolved. A great company isn't perfect, but tries to be and that's what I get from SWA.

8. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a flight cancelled on Halloween out of Austin due to the flooding, lost our EB that we paid for and generally had a lot of headaches getting to our destination (FL in that case), so in light of your info I may send an e-mail as well. Thanks for sharing your experience.

9. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We are BIG fans of SW, not only because they get us there on time but because of their customer service. We were booked for Vegas from 12/3-12/10. When we saw that we could extend out trip until 12/14 we decided to go for it. We had separate conf. #'s so I booked my husband's online and, when I tried to book mine, the price went from $94 to $196. Called SW and they told us that that was the last ticket at that price but they gave it to us for that price anyway. What other airline would do that?

10. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    still no non-stops to LAS from LGA or EWR from Southwest

I take Jetblue from JFK

11. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are non stops from EWR to LAS. I have one booked next April.

12. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Haven't seen non stops from EWR-LAS on SW in a very long time. Just checked. Did you book on another airline?

13. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several years go I'm on a guys trip in Vegas with old college buddies. About 3 days into 5 day trip my wife calls that morning in tears because she had her first mammogram at age 40 and the mammogram doctor told her she has an issue and they made an appointment for her to see surgeon early the next day. I called southwest and was put on the mid morning direct back home that same day. I will forever be thankful to southwest for getting home quickly at no additional charge . Several surgeries and 14 months of chemo later all is well.

14. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have more than SW to thank! So happy your wife is ok. Maybe she needs a celebratory trip to Vegas!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  15. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep we went to Vegas after it was all done and headed back in February

16. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice!! That is great to hear.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only problem with Southwest is that they are not the bargain they used to be. Their prices are usually right up there with Untied and Delta anymore.

18. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Until you pay the baggage fees for the other airlines...

19. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I was hesitant to try them because of the assigned seat thing, but had to fly them earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised. Service was probably a little better than the Asian airlines I've flown (and those are generally considered the best in commercial aviation). $8 all day wifi was a bargain compared to what other carriers charge. I'm now enrolled in Rapid Rewards and will be flying with them again in January. I'm hoping they'll have more long haul flights once they get their 737 MAX fleet.

20. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of us flying from St. Louis would disagree - SW is generally the highest fare airline to LV, which makes us laugh every time SW has a "sale"! The sale prices are never more than $3 cheaper than their regular fares. Those of us who fly another airline very often (more than once a year) generally have a credit card for that company which gives us free baggage as well as priority boarding. The cost of the card is more than paid for by the savings, plus the miles add up as well. I'm not bashing SW - I fly them too and I agree that it's generally a good experience. I'm just agreeing with DMR that they're not a low fare airline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.