1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

33 american beers to drink before you die

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Mirageluvr, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Fun to read, thanks
    Anchor Christmas Ale !
    It's a M_U_S_T !!!!!
    ( ........It might have been on last year's list ?...)

3. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

I've enjoyed everything I've tried from Stone and Russian River. Arrogant Bastard is pretty easy to find and satisfying. I prefer Sublimely Self Righteous or their Go To IPA. Pliny the Elder is harder to track down. I've had to bring it home from San Francisco. Good stuff, one day, I'll make the beer festival and try Pliny the Younger. Ballast Point is another favorite brewery. I find the Grapefruit Sculpin better than most fruit beers (I hate fruity beers) but I prefer the plain old Sculpin. I'm not a fan of Anchor... Christmas, Steam... blasphemy, I know. Portland really knows their way around hops, IPAs never disappoint and I'm really fond of their ciders too. I get to enjoy Three Floyds when visiting Chicago, it doesn't seem to make it to west of Mississippi like so many others named. I don't travel to the east coast enough. One day...

4. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. There's always Coors in my fridge.

Bill

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a good list. Some will object to some of the inclusions, some will point to obvious exclusions. Do the list again tomorrow and it could change quite substantially.

The cultishness of some crafts and craft aficionados might strike some as odd, but then again this whole site is cultish and we all hang just fine with that. So drink what you like and like what you drink, and if it borders on obsessive, well so be it. That's one of the things I like about how we travel and are able to travel. We re-visit favorites, try new places often, and we get a lot of time on the ground, meaning out and about, and most everywhere you turn there's a local food phenom or beer or spirits or wine to be experienced. It can be high-brow, it can be gutter, but it is local and unique, and that's awesome.

And yes indeed on the Pivo Pils ... we often have a growler on hand!

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Yes -
    The Pivo Pils stuck out from the others ---
    I've never had it.
    I'll be looking around for it next couple days.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come out for a visit, in 15 minutes we can get it right from Firestone Walker, and we can play La Purisima in transit!

8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprised PBR is on the list..I'd say my least favorite of the ones I have tried.Coors though,there was sometihing special about that when it wasn't available cross-country like it is today.I lived in Shasta County Ca in the late 70's and was great to drink it again first Vegas trip in '86..Coors Light is my beer of choice now with an occasional draft Guinness in LV.
    I'm not much of a craft beer type at all...Also like Miller High-life if available :beer:

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James' comment just turned the light bulb on:

I know several people who don't like "craft" beer. And it hit me ... is it a function of the size of the operation (and as we all know, a lot of craft-dom is massively corporate) or is it because most crafties don't go all lyrical on light American-style lagers; it's Belgian this or hop-overdose that or sour whatever. But there are light, I'd say drinkable is the right adjective, non-mass-produced brews out there.

Just a thought.

10. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Boulevard Tank 7 mentioned in the article is one of my favorites. It's one of the best things I've discovered since moving to this part of the country.

11. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was recently at a GREAT beer bar in SF......Toronado in the 500 block of Haight St. They had 9 of the beers on the list.
    The ones I would add are Sierra Nevada Celebration (drank it during the Super Bowl) and Troegs Nugget Nectar.
    Great list.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being an Akronite, I can recommend B.O.R.I.S "The Crusher" as well as various other Hoppin' Frog brews. Not cheap but one will do ya. Sometimes I save half for later.

13. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many years ago three people in Coors jackets came up to the table I was playing. They were having some type of convention. I was talking to them and said, "I don't really drink beer that much, but if I do, I usually don't drink Coors since there's so many different beers." I had plenty of hard alcohol to drink already. The guy that sat next to me was there for around fifteen minutes before he left. One of the others asked me, "Do you know who that is?" It just struck me after she asked. That was Peter Coors. This was a little after the time he was arrested for a DUI and ran for office. I think they let him go, but I do remember him doing a responsible drinking commercial sometime after that.

14. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Great dive bar with unbelievable selection. That's where I get Pliny to bring home.

15. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had the Stone Arrogant Bastard, the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout and the Lagunitas Sucks. Will have to add some of the others to my wishlist.

16. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a pretty nice beer list. I have had a few including the Furious. I was surprised by the PBR on the list. I remember when PBR was not so fashionable.

17. chadt100

chadt100 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a good list that I would love to tackle. There are so many craft and local brewers out there that it is almost impossible to try everything. I loved PBR before it became a hipster beer and still love it today. Problem with PBR is the shelf life. It is good for about 2 months then the taste goes south. I seen a couple comment on the taste of beer. Some beers get better with age and a lot get worse. I love visiting breweries and of course it doesn't get any fresher than brewery fresh. Seems all the beers from the brewery are awesome no matter what style you try. I know one of the the beers I really enjoy is Spotted Cow from the New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin. Only problem is you can only get it in Wisconsin. There are a few up and coming breweries here in Minnesota with real good beer. Surly is the better known of course. Badger Hill Brewery has an pretty good IPA called Traitor IPA and there Foundation stout on nitro is darn tasty as well. It seems as if a new brewery opens every week here in MN. Of course most of those beers never make it too far away from the town it is brewed. After reading some posts here on VMB, it looks like I need to stop at the Linq in a few weeks and broaden my palate:licklips:

1 word of caution... If your in the midwest and see a simple looking beer called, "Damn Good Beer" keep shopping. I like some beers out of Monroe, Wisconsin but that isn't one I can acquire a taste for.

18. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had 14 of the 32. Pliny the Younger is best on the list, but it is overhyped a bit. Can't go wrong with a Grapefruit Sculpin.,,

19. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't for the life of me figure out how PBR got to be a "fashion statement' with today's younger crowd. Last year my son and I sat down at the bar at Harrah's to play some video poker and down a few brews. I ordered up a Heineken and my son requested a PBR. The bartender promptly set my bottle of Heineken's in front of me, but told my son that he couldn't comp the PBR........WTF? Used to drink Pabst back in my college days....buy two quarts for a buck...that was back in the early 70's.

20. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So very true. LOL

Back in my college days the fraternity I was in had an upright soda machine dispensing Old Milwaukee for a quarter. I was a freshman in heaven, and just about flunked out. I have a feeling this is one brew that won't reach PBR's new found fame. :drunk:
    On a side note, when the administration found out about the machine it was promptly removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.