1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What are you drinking in 2021?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by amanty, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amanty

amanty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are you drinking right NOW?

Spotted Cow
    New Glarus Brewing Co.
    Wisconsin
    Cream Ale

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20210101_211049.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. SAll11

SAll11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    another favorite of mine. I finally found a bottle for the first time a couple weeks ago after looking for like 4 months

4. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One I never have tried. What is an unpeated scotch like? Considering it's from Islay, it must be damn near sacrilegious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I like the yellow label (basic) the best. Especially for the price. The small batch is almost too smooth and the single barrel has a long lasting hot finsh. They're all pretty good imo.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Picked this up recently and had a very generous pour over a big ice cube along with several Aldi cheddar stuffed olives. I ran out of the Costco Jumbo pimento stuffed olives, which in my not too humble opinion are the best. Over the holiday I picked up some pitted green olives and stuffed them with Amish blue cheese, totally decadent. The blue cheese stuffed olives in brine are flavorless, if you want to impress your martini-loving guests with a special treat, take a couple minutes and hand stuff some olives, it’s worth the effort.

Wheatley is a product of Buffalo Trace and they claim it is 10x distilled using wheat as the base grain.

1B663421-6A9F-4A90-9101-D559F0CC5923.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, most Single Malt Scotch are unpeated...Highlands, Speyside etc, just that Islay is known for peated single Malts. Bunnahabhain distilling unpeated on Islay goes against the flow there, but despite the lack of smoke and peat it has lots of islay characteristics. Tasty, nonetheless!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2018 Foley Rancho Santa Rosa Pinot Noir.

9. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge fan of Woodford. The wheat is excellent 20210103_205734.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stand corrected. When I started in the F&B biz, a liquor rep actually described that process to me. In the next 30 or so years it never came up again, not that it would. I always like to learn, even when it makes me feel like my IQ is smaller than my shoe size!

• Like Like x 1
  11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got a bottle of Four Roses SB for Christmas. Nice.

I seem to be on an Attic kick. Opened a bottle of Assyrtiko, a Greek white. New for me. Very pleasant. Having it now as an aperitif and more with Osso Buco, not strictly a Greek dish but I think it's compatible, when that's ready.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pennsylvania has some whacked out liquor laws, the Commonwealth controls wholesale and retail distribution of wine and spirits, so no Costco booze in PA. In neighboring NJ, liquor retailers are limited to two licenses, even Costco. When I’m close to Edison or Wayne, NJ, I make it a point to stock up.

Except for a few things, I am an avowed anti-brand, especially when it comes to something like Vodka. Case in point, Kirkland Vodka imported from France, 5x Distilled. Some folks on the inter webs say this is made at the Grey Goose Distillery.

I chilled my cocktail glass in the freezer for about 15 minutes (while I made the pizza) then filled my shaker with ice and a healthy pour of Kirkland. I swirl and never shake, the bubbles tickle my nose. I spray a bit of dry vermouth into the frigid glass and pour the chilled vodka over a skewer of Jumbo Costco pimento stuffed olives. A fine ending to the first work week of the New Year.

EEE29A0E-4FD9-462C-A53F-52606C8F5269.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried a shot of that Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey. At my local dive bar / micro brew / BBQ joint.

20210108_152637.jpg

This shit taste like B.P. fudge has zero burn and is 70 proof. 10X more dangerous than Fireball. Drank half before pic.

Lagerheads's Winter Mischief in the tall. It's a holiday ale 8%

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  14. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The state store system in PA has gotten a little better over the years, when they de-list an item from the catalog the price is very attractive. They recently had 50 ml bottles of Macallan 12 for $3.49 each, so 15 would equal one 750 ml bottle and a bargain at $52.

There have been many attempts to privatize the system, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of decent paying retail jobs with benefits plus the system throws off a ton of money for the general fund.

What is rarely mentioned is the "bleed" from purchases that are made out of state. Technically, if I buy liquor in Delaware where prices are great and there's no sales tax, I am supposed to declare it and pay tax on it. We also pay an 18% temporary tax on booze for the 1936 Johnstown Flood.

16. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our state system was very confining. Most stores ran 10-9 M-S and for a long time, closed on Sun. Eventually some stores opened on Sun with short hours. When the push for privatizing was on, most thought convenience and lower prices. I knew prices wouldn't drop. With all the mark ups and state liq sales tax AND a liter tax, prices actually went up. I thought it was worth it being able go two aisles over for something rather than going to a separate store. Some felt betrayed on the pricing though.
    The state made out like bandits. They auctioned off their locations which included the bid plus inventory. Some locations did well, but most didn't. No one including large chains had any idea what was coming. I was in the wine dept of a Kroger entity and took over spirits. They thought it would be a nice compliment to our high volume wine dept looking for maybe $20K a week. We did $32K the first day! Of that leveled off, but remained high. Most chains were the same and this drove probably 40-50% of the old state locations out of business. Those that made it were either in excellent locations or found other products to increase volume.
    Remember the part where I said chains were fooled on what to expect? Not everybody, Costco just took it in stride!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've not had a single beer in 2021 and am going to see how long I can manage that for. Just correcting a few too many pounds from the March lockdown.... hopefully doesn't take too long to lose the weight as I need beer. Meanwhile, this is very very more-ish and keeping me company this evening.

slingsby-rhubarb-gin-frosted-bottle-front-02.jpg

18. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rhubarb gin? Were they out of cumquat? Sorry, but I can't understand flavoring gin. I can see vodka, but with the botanicals in gin, it defeats the purpose.
    Next thing you'll tell me is they're flavoring whiskey. What'd you say. Oh jeez, there goes the whole shootin' match!

19. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it depends if you ever drink a gin-based cocktail..... I like nothing better than regular G&T and certainly go through plenty of it. Occasionally, something different. I'm neither a mixologist nor a photographer, also ginger ale used in this, but this was a great drink. Straight G&T always works, but nowadays if you go to a swanky gin bar, by time you've gone through the tonic flavours and the garnish choices.... it won't be a 1970s G&T any more. Even just replacing the lemon with a sprig of rosemary for instance makes a difference.

Rhubarb.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2019 Stolpman Para Maria

uO%xt1j2SKy%QklB8KMz6Q.jpg n4hJIwvFQNm3RJ7yVfAbsw.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.