1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

No Pitchers of Water (restaurants)?!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by user3657, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont believe it. I just got back from 5 nights and every single night was told "no" to a pitcher of water. Usually Grand Lux will tell me no, they are not allowed to bring pitchers to the table but WTF every place I went?! At outback I was rudely told "NO WE DONT DO THAT HERE!" LOL...I think she was quite upset that she had one last customer come in 15mins before closing...

What am I not seeing? I drink tons of water. I will down 6-8+ glasses with no problem. They say no to a pitcher so I always ask for 2 glasses. It saves the server trips and keeps me filled. What is the big deal?

2. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its a desert...there is a drought...nuf said...sorry, I can totally see restaurants doing that; you may be the exception to the rule and actually polish off the pitcher, but most folks will leave it half full, and tho it may seem small, it counts; I know this thread will get down to other wastes of water in Vegas, but I think restaurants are particularly conscience...just my humbled opinion.

3. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an outsider, the liberal issuing of glasses of water and availability of ice cubes is one of America's greatest features! :)

I can't see the problem with giving a jug of water to a customer who is also drinking beer/wine/soda with their meal, otherwise are they also going to refuse the request for a 2nd or 3rd glass of tap water (or charge for it!)

4. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you ask for refills on your 2 water glasses, causing you to be content while the restaurants maintain their anti-pitcher stance?

Nick:beer:

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Works for me.

It must have been a good five day trip when the worst thing that happened to the OP was he did not get pitchers of water at the table. It takes the concept of 1st World Problems to a whole 'nother level.

Bill

6. esweeney

esweeney Tourist

Yeah I'd bet the reason she was upset was not the request for pitchers but more likely that you came in 15 mins before closing. No way you were out of there in 15 mins.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hahaha.

I think have to request a glass of water in most restaurants in Vegas... makes perfect since to me. When I had a glass in the summer it never went empty...also makes perfect sense. I actually never requested a pitcher of water...anywhere. Not sure I see the issue.

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you might want to know that there is a severe water shortage in Las Vegas. You don't state where you are from, but pitchers of water on the table is not a common practice. You can get all of the glasses of water you can handle.

9. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in California, but Nevada is in the same boat (boat out of water that is). Breeze is right, there is a water shortage, and some places have limited watering of lawns to only once a week. There are many places that have brown lawns. I have never seen so little rain here in the past couple of years. I just noticed the other day that I haven't had to use my windshield wipers to or from work all year, and I work over 30 miles away from home.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even we lived there, going back 7 years, you had to request water with your meal and the drought has gotten worse since then.

11. REELmoneySlotFan

REELmoneySlotFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a European I would never ask for this. To many Europeans, Vegas water is not drinkable. It tastes like drinking out of a swimming pool. It isn't purified enough for us.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, chilled it tastes fine. Out of the tap in the hotel room, not so much.

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even here, with our ample Lake Michigan supply, a pitcher for the table is not common. If there is a large party maybe but normally they would rather replenish as you go. I don't see what the problem is. Most LV restaurants have made it clear for a long time that they will not be quick to serve water that could end up wasted.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Especially out of those water fountains that are in some of the bathrooms!

15. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy solution, drink whiskey or beer instead.

16. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not believe this has anything to do with conservation or a water shortage or a desire to sell more drinks I am pretty much 100% sure it is a sanitation issue

many moons ago when I worked in a restaurant the waitresses would leave a pitcher of sodas at a table especially ones with a large group of HS kids (I was a HS kid then too) coming in after a football game at the close by school district stadium

in the 15 months or so I worked there the rules changed and they were no longer allowed to do so because of changes in the health code

it was actually something the waitresses were not happy about because it was much easier for them to leave the pitcher VS return endlessly for refills especially when we got slammed after a big game right near closing time

instead they changed over to having the pitcher in the breakdown area and bringing it out to the table to refill most of the drinks at one time and to be able to go from table to table sometimes with one of soda and one of tea at the same time

the "thought" behind it (there really is none) is that it is a group serving container that is left out of control of the waitress and thus more easily open to contamination

17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind requesting for water when dining in a restaurant. What irritates me is when they don't even check to see if you need a re-fill during the course of your meal.

18. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is a major deduction in tip for me

19. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont believe so either. I have heard this for years in vegas, but never every single night! I've heard every excuse in the book but never about the drought. I have heard that it is because of some health code, or that its not allowed for that reason(germs). But glasses dont get germs?

I did not know asking for a pitcher is such a big deal. Geeze, when im home I can down 2 gallons of water in a day.

If it was such a big deal to conserve water, the waiter could always fill the pitcher up HALF WAY to statsify a customer and get a bigger tip. That is what I dont understand. If I was working for a tip, I could give a damn unless I was going to get fired on the spot. I dont think any manager would ever fire someone for pleasing a paying customer.

Yes, i might be one person but ill end up getting soup, an app, main course, desert, and maybe even coffee. Im a repeat customer. I would sure want that guy coming back to my place :thumbsup:

Give the damn pitcher and fill it 1/4 of the way then. LOL. The place is not losing any money or causing any harm. Give me a break. I have never complained about a dish unless it was not cooked enough. I would like to know how many posters send back dishes because they did not like it or did not taste the same as last time. :peace:

20. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell me about it. You could be sitting there gasping for air because your throat is so dry and some servers will walk right by.

Just Sunday, my sister got up from our lunch table and took a pitcher of water from a nearby station where several were lined up and our server wasn't around.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.