1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Companys paying you using debit cards instead of checks.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize this is a cost saving measure and I'm all for saving money but both myself and my neighbor have had problems with this so right now we would rather go back to the old method,send us a check.
    TMobile gave me a $350 prepaid card which they said I could use to pay my bill if I wanted. They gave me this to cover my daughters cancellation fee when she switched on to my plan.
    I used it the first month fine,second month ,no dice seems someone used it at The Hard Rock in LV the day before.and the fiunds are low.
    Called the bank they cancelled the card ,sent me a new one but I have to wait months to dispute the charge to get the $108 back.
    I called Tmobile and basically told them that their people were the only ones with access to the card number ,unless my wife's teddy bears in the bedroom came to life and decided to book a trip to Vegas.
    They finally agreed to credit my acct. $108,but who really has time to go thru all this shit .
    My neighbors problem is much worse on the aggravation meter.
    His wife has pancretic cancer which is not good. They filed for NJ Workmans Comp or Disability whatever,the paper work was approved except no money paid?
    After 8 phone calls and checking the website they found out payments have been maid to a BOA debit card dating back two years ago when she had neck surgery .Naturally he cut up the card,nobody told him to save it for 4 years. Now he has to deal with the bank to get this straightened out.Point is he doesnt need this shit on top of what he has to deal with.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am surprised to hear a government agency would issue a debit card without consultation first. I would think it would be cheaper and easier still to do a direct deposit if the payee is set up with traditional checking and/or savings accounts. At some point there will be a revolt of these debit cards because it costs the end user to get their money off if they just need cash.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would think but theres always somebody out there willing to give people say half of a cards value in cash,I know one guy who advertises on Craigslist to buy debit cards for cash.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many government agencies are now going to a "purchase card" to make it easier for employees to purchase goods or services. It is also good to track spending and to make sure that they are using it for valid purchases. Unfortunately it also allows room for abuse as the employee (or politician) could charge non valid things to this card. Some politicians in Hawaii are getting into trouble for making suspect purchases (like at strip clubs, bars, etc.) on their government card.

Also be aware that in the near future (supposed to be in October) the US is supposed to be going to a "smart" card technology with a chip in them. All purchases are supposed to be made using this smart card. At the store the purchaser has to enter a PIN number for the purchase to be valid so it can't be used for store purchases unless you have the number. This is supposed to stop the rampant credit card theft by not allowing store purchases. Many stores are already picking up the machines to handle those cards (I bet that somebody is making a lot of money off this) but I am not sure if they will be turned on by October. Many charge card companies are already saying that they won't be held responsible if a store or business does not use the new machines so not sure who would be responsible at that time. I guess the store will have to take the loss if they don't use the new technology and are subject to cc theft.

I can see this action stopping a lot of cc store thefts. It has been in place in Europe for a year or two without any issues (from what I hear). One problem with this, crooks can still use the stolen cc and numbers online for purchases so I can see a big increase in this kind of theft when the smart card is implemented. Crooks will always try to find a way to get around things.

5. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a payroll company pushing for us to "offer" this to our employees, they wanted us to go totally to this system. Of course they would because of the transaction fee charged to each employee to do the transaction. There were additional monthly fees that would be charged also to keep the card active. They were really pushy about it and became our former payroll company soon afterwards. I found out afterwards that in the past they would allow employees to use more than what they had and charge them fees for that also. ( don't know if that is even legal)

It sounds like a good system because there are a lot of people that do not use banks. We worked a deal out with the bank we work with to offer free banking and it works well for our employees and has helped them to better their credit and save money. The debit card system does not help in that matter it is just easier to spend.

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in VA, state income tax refunds come back as debit cards (if you don't have them direct deposit it). I was miffed at first assuming it would involve a fee. But one free transaction is allowed with these cards - you can take it to your bank and get the cash or deposit it without fee. Of course, I have no idea how it works with other gov't agencies nor do I know how it works for those without a bank account. So your argument could still be valid, assuming no bank in one's area offers free checking.

7. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen this as an option at a few of my clients that W-2 me.

Its obviously a fee-income play.....basically a legal scam. If you are an illegal or owe child support maybe its a work around, makes no sense for anyone with nothing to hide.

Isn't there some new credit protection bureau designed to catch this kind of crap?

8. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

The state of California issues unemployment benefits through a Bank of America card. Bank of America has used this to lower the available credit and close credit cards of their customers due to finding out about their unemployment

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My employer only provides an actual paycheck for the first pay period or two. If you don't set up direct deposit, they sign you up to get you pay through a debit card. I opened my checking account when I was 16. I couldn't fathom being without one and it's frightening to me that people are being encouraged to forgo them.

10. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is called EMV technology. I already have that on my card. you can still use it without a pin. but instead of "swiping" your card, you have to "insert" your card and hold it for a few seconds then the chip sends that info to your bank to verify it and then your good to go. each transaction will have its own unique code so its impossible for a thief to copy that and use it later because it will get denied, versus the traditional "megnetic strip" that stays the same for each transaction.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    90 million peole a month getting checks from the govt and thats a very light estimate.

How much postage is that? Now factor in the lost checks, the printing costs. It goes on and on.

I applaud them for doing something smart for once.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get it Cuz,its a money saver esp. when people dont use the whole gift cards and end up throwing them in a drawer and forgetting about them.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I already started to get my cc and debit cards with these chips. But so far only a few stores use it the way that it was meant to, the rest just use the swipe method until they are forced to go with the new method.

I actually think it will be a good deterrent but like I said the online thefts will probably go up since they won't be able to go into a store to use the stolen cards.

14. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the company I use to process CC, if I don't get a new style reader by 10/01/15 and then accept a bad card it's on me. So I have one coming.

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true. And we made sure our grandparents got off paper checks when the option was available. But is it cheaper to issue debit cards or do a bank transfer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.