1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW fares seem high around Christmas and late March

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been checking different dates in December around Christmas- New Year and they seem pricey to me. Also looking at the end of March with an early return in April and pretty much the same thing.They seem higher than last year this time.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas - supply and demand
    Late March -March Madness? Supply and Demand
    Week of CES - same thing

3. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Easter is late March this year, too

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were news reports that the optimal time to book for the holidays was somewhere around this time. Christmas fares will keep going up unless people just have reservations on hold that aren't completed soon.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Don't give complete credence to those news reports. Generally, the best time to book is about 45 days out, though holidays may be different due to demand. Often, there are cases where holiday fares go down.
    Sure, it's crapshoot, but I am holding off on my Christmas bookings until later.
    One strategy of airlines is to have artificially high prices months in advance to catch those consumers that automatically buy well in advance, regardless of price.
    Biggest factor is supply/demand.

6. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the time they are the same as they were last year out of OKC, $216 for Christmas Eve, despite the 45 days out rule some go by the last 4 trips we never saw the flights drop below that price at any time aside from T-W flights which were still 180.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a similar problem in Hawaii with airfare being expensive.

Some times to remember:

Beginning of January, kids going back to school, people returning from their new years holiday.
    Right before Christmas, people going home for the holidays.
    March and April - Spring break, many people fly and take their kids during their breaks.
    May - end of school year and start of summer.
    Holidays - people taking off to go on vacation.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't matter if I believe it. It matters if people see it and rush to start to book. Just the searches will drive fares up.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the airlines also "anticipate" the rush and so raise rates during those times of the year. As it gets closer and they aren't filling up the plane they may lower prices but usually it looks like they just keep the prices high even though the plane won't be filled. Like the $5 or $10 tables versus $25 tables I could never understand why airlines don't drop prices to fill up the plane. I see flights from Honolulu being 1/3 empty, yet the airlines don't drop prices to fill up the plane more.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.