1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wine question

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by FullBoat, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,
    I'm wondering what a good white wine would be at Andiamo. I'm taking a lady there when we're there in Vegas, and don't want to look like a total bone head when it comes to that. I normally just kind of pick out something at random, and hope it's good. Don't want anything crazy pricy, but something maybe mid-range.

Just in case you need their list, here's their menu: http://www.thed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/AndiamoMenu.pdf

2. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gosh, wine is so subjective. Perhaps have the sommelier help? That way, your date can offer her opinion and help make the decision. I'd be a little disappointed if I liked dry white wines, and my date ordered a Pinot Grigio for example.

Have fun

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is midrange?

Pick a price.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say that all the wines on there are fine. Just different people like different things. You do not have to get a full bottle.

We drink chardonnay most every day. I would be happy with their cheapest, or a step up to this one. Chardonnay, Sonoma Cutrer, Russian River Valley, California, 2012

There are people that say you only drink red with italian of course. They can go and do that if they want.

They have some wines by the glass. You can try those and if you do not like them, try something else.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course, when you ask, you need to be able to understand what they are saying and what you like. Many ladies like Pinot. I do not.

6. cjlangston

cjlangston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that wine list is driven by big distributor selections and not very carefully chosen (although whoever is doing the buying clearly has a thing for Celani).

That said, as you might expect in a typical Italian restaurant, the white selections are a much smaller category than the red, so fewer options.

Since you asked for white I would suggest the J Pinot Gris and the Ferrari Carano Chardonnay as the best mid-range choices.
    You could also surprise her with a 1/2 btl of bubbles...just enough for 2 glasses. There's an offering from Duval-Lery that would work nicely

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just tell the waiter/ress or sommelier what I want to spend and what flavor profile I like and let them pick the wine. Personally, I just don't find a correlation between price and flavor in wine and have no problem ordering the second cheapest bottle on the menu and enjoying it.

Or tell the waiter that you've heard a lot of good things about the J Pinot Gris and order that like a boss.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then you may call me Caitlyn. lol

- - - Updated - - -

A real boon to have you here, cj!

9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CJ did well for you. The wines I recognized are also not horrifically overpriced the way they are in some places.

If you want to drink white wine with the entree, order something like chicken or fish, except maybe not salmon or Caitlyn might scowl. If you want pasta, select a dish without tomato, or (if you like garlic) ask if they will do the pasta aglio olio (AH-lee-oh OH-lee-oh). Disclaimer: I'm a hard core garlic lover.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caitlyn made salmon a few nights back, paired it with Viognier. ;)

We had aglio y olio with our baseball steaks last night; you'd have approved of the amount of garlic employed, Jeff!!

11. bcc

bcc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a lady who drinks only white wine, and I agree with CJ. Pinot Grigio is lighter, Chardonnay more full-bodied. I am not familiar with any on the vinyards on your wine list.

If she is not a wine drinker I would order the Pinot Grigio just to try it.

Compare with grocery store Pinot Grigio Santa Margarita (kind of expensive), Cavit (cheaper), or Costco's Kirkland label Pinot Grigio.

For Chardonnay, I usually choose KJ (Kendall Jackson), always good.

- bcc

12. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. I normally get a glass of red when I'm by myself, but here lately stupid heartburn is kicking up.
    And, I'm planning on getting the surf and turf, so either red or white will go. Should be covered there. :)

I do like the idea of getting us some champagne, and that's not very pricy either. This is going to be a surprise for her, all I'm going to tell her is where and when to meet me. So, it should be a nice surprise for her.

I'll have to let y'all know how it goes.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good amount of what puts so many off with CA Chardonnay is (excessive) oak and full malolactic fermentation. A Chablis or domestic Chablis-styled Chardonnay will be nothing like a huge California woody butter bomb.

14. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excessive is the key word.....

15. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI on the bubbles they offer, Prosecco is very sweet. Many people don't like it. I love it personally. Brut is very dry and what most people expect champagne to taste like.

16. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full Boat, do note that if one is to refer to a "Pinot" it almost always references Pinot Noir, which is the U.S. version of a French Burgundy, grown with Pinot Noir also.

17. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I laughed at a friend of mine a while ago and said, "The only reason why you chose that bottle is because it's the second cheapest."

I always do that too.

18. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least y'all have helped narrow it down from 50 choices to about 25. :)

I would ask her what kind she likes, but she's already wondering what the heck I'm up to. So, don't want to give her any ideas. Yes, I'm a sneaky bastard.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Asking a dining companion what she likes is a fair question unless one considers dating to be a form of warfare.

Second cheapest can often be a good choice, especially if they're out of the cheapest.

Well, Ken, I served Pinot with grilled Copper River the other day. Served it to myself, that is. Mag doesn't care for Pinot (sigh). I blame Jess Jackson for the rabid butterization of a good grape. The all-time topper is the Chard that actually goes by the name "Butter".

20. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doh, should have said I wasn't going to ask her before we got to dinner. :) Brain isn't working right now. It's counting down the hours.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.