1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Luggage question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a check and my suitcase will fit into the carry on box, it is right on the line of fitting any bigger and its a no go. My "personal item" that I plan on carrying on is a backpack but not just a backpack, it a laptop and camera bag. Being that it is a not just a computer bag or camera case, but an actual backpack will I be able to carry that plus my suitcase on? I thought about checking my suitcase but I have read horror stories about Southwest and baggage, plus I do not know if I want to stand in line in the morning.

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will be fine. I almost always take a small backpack that I keep my laptop and a change of clothes in. Never a prob.

3. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear. I hate the lines at check in and last night when my son checked his bag (could have carried it on) the lady was rather rude.

Lucky kid, at 14 he got pre-check, not me.

I assume I will have to take my computer and camera out of the bag.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I check my bags with the sky caps. Tip them a couple dollars and they take care of everything with a smile.

Your carry-on goes in the over head and the personal item fits under the seat in front of you.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have no problem.

As to checking luggage. SW does just fine.

And, we rarely see much of a line. We always go inside with no problem. Check bags and get boarding pass at the same time.

6. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depends on the airport. in April @ JFK we did not have to take anything out of the bags including my CPAP machine which I always had to take out in the past

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long it fits under the seat, it shouldn't be a problem. As for carry ons, I've never had an issue with Southwest. I use the skycaps as much as possible and they turn everyone around quick.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest is less picky about what's a carryon and what's not. All of the other airlines charge for checked bags, I've found them to be a lot more picky about what's carried on since they would rather you check them and charge you. Since Southwest doesn't charge for checked they don't have that incentive. As long as it fits in an overhead or under the seat you're good to go.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had a real horror story with my bags on SW. I always check in my bags since I usually carry a 25" or 26" bag with me. (knock on wood). Since I usually go to the airport early (usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours early) I never have a problem checking in my bag.

The only problem I ever encountered was with a rude clerk who gave me heat because I had a 3 ball bowling bag. It was 51 lbs but she grumbled that they don't take 3 ball bowling bags. Her supervisor came over and said that as long as it made the 50 lb limit it was good to go. She still gave me heat for it being 1 lb over (but I've have suitcases that were 2 lbs over without any problems) so I had to take out my towels and stuff to make it exactly at 50 lbs. I travelled with the bag on other SW trips without any problems and I put it down to one clerk being a jerk (but I can say that I encountered at least one clerk like that on all the airlines I have flown)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.