1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Neon Boneyard - Day tour vs night tour

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by kevthegrad, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevthegrad

kevthegrad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there, just curious about the Neon Boneyard. I've always wanted to see it and am finally making it happen on this trip.

Can you suggest whether it is more enjoyable at night vs daytime? I know they light up a few of the old signs at night, but my understanding is it's only a few they have restored and 'plug in' at night, so it makes me wonder if that makes viewing the non lit-up ones less enjoyable? The daytime tours we are looking at are 9:30am or 10am so it shouldn't be so hot we want to die.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The night tour has 5-6 that light up. Kind of cool I guess but I don't know if I'd schedule it at night on purpose. If that works out for your schedule, great. If not do it during the daytime. Yeah it gets hot, they will let you use an umbrella (they hold your ID but don't charge you anything) and they sell water for just a buck. It's a fun tour and the guide we had last month was good. They need more room though. They have a lot of signs behind other signs, it would be nice to get a clear view of them all. And some of the signs you can't get a good pic because you can't get far enough away. They have some signs stored in an area next to the parking lot that they don't have room for. It's well worth it, a great tour and hopefully one day they'll be able to find a bigger place. One thing I was a bit disappointed about, they have the original skeleton head from the Treasure Island sign. Very cool except it's lying down, face up. You don't really get a good look at it. It would be great if they could stand it up so you could see it as it was on the strip.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the night tour with a group of friends and recommend it. The only complaint I got from my group was about the size of the display - which is smaller than expected. Lot's of good history there.

Bill

4. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our first trip to the Boneyard was way back when they first opened, pretty much a jumble of signs strewn about a vacant lot just across the alley from the present display. Was still a fascinating tour with a very knowledgeable guide - we had a blast and took a ton of cool pictures with an old non-digital Canon Rebel. Took the night tour last fall and were really impressed. The great majority of signs have not been refurbished but creative lighting makes almost all of them easy to photograph. I would definitely recommend the night tour this time of year, and also would suggest reservations as early as possible, since tours fill up rapidly. Enjoy!

5. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done both day and night tours and enjoyed night better. Plus, if you're going in the summer, night will be a lot cooler.

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gone several times (all day tours), with the last one being this past November. From what I recall the tour guide saying, none of the signs in the actual boneyard light up at night. The Museum has restored several signs that they have strategically placed along Las Vegas Boulevard and near Fremont Street, including the revolving slipper from the Silver Slipper (located on the street right outside the museum). At night those restored signs definitely do light up. It is a really fun tour and a great way to see the last vestiges of vintage Las Vegas up close and personal. The photos I have of the signs are incredible.

One thing to note - there is absolutely no shade, and the tour lasts about an hour. Wear sunglasses, sunscreen and bring a large bottle of ice cold water if you do a day tour. They used to supply water for free but now charge for it.

7. drdestructo

drdestructo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I have done both a day and night tour. The night side tour was last week. Both were outstanding, but we enjoyed the night tour better. The pathway is lit nicely and there are enough signs that have been restored to keep it interesting.

I guess it depends what time of year you will be going. A daytime tour in July, even at 10am could get quite warm. Factor that into the equation.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't done it yet, but one thing I want to avoid is direct sun. (Skin cancer runs on both sides of my family and I've been told to stay out of the sun.) That's why I would prefer an evening or night tour. I would also think that the mixed light of morning or evening daylight plus the light from the signs would make for much better photos.

9. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the night tour is better so you can see the few signs that are lit, keep in mind that the tours do fill up so make reservations on the website

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do have free umbrellas to use to shade yourself from the sun if you do go during the day.

11. buddhaluv

buddhaluv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How safe is the walk from downtown to the NEON during the morning around 9 or 10 am

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Safe. about 1/2 mile depending where you are starting from.

13. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I considered the NBT for next week, but nixed the idea because of the heat.

I will schedule for my November trip when the temps are bearable and I can enjoy walking through. And since by then it will get dark around 4:00p, I can enjoy the tour with a few lit signs earlier in the day.

14. kevthegrad

kevthegrad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be posting a trip report hopefully later today. But have to say we were there last week and enjoyed the Neon Museum so much. It is an absolute must for people who are into the history of the city. A really well done tour and whatever you do....take them up on the free umbrellas they offer for shade!!! We did the 9:30am tour on Friday June 12th and it was about 102 degrees. Very little natural shade to be found in the boneyard.

An incredible tour.

15. weegranty

weegranty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where can you book this tour?

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it was me, night tour hands down. Even if they only light up a few signs. They have the rest arranged nicely and lit. It's on my to do list for sure.

17. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do The Night Tour!

Even though all the signs are not lit for the night tour it has such a cool "old vegas" feel. WE did the night tour and loved it. I wouldn't walk, just because it's really far down. But that's entirely up to you. we always rent a car. It was really windy and cold the night were were there in Feb and it was very cold and windy. we wished we would have bundled up a bit more.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.