1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Avis Car Rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kjonly, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjonly

kjonly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked a 7 day rental through Costco with Avis. I have always used Budget in the past and had no problems. I have never used Avis and this is my first time booking through Costco. I got a better price through Avis and I signed up for Avis Preferred which looks like allows me to skip the counter. A few questions:

How is everyone's experience with Avis in regards to quality of cars, customer service, hard upsells on coverages, etc...? I am not familiar with Avis at all. Are they considered a major company or a discount like Fox?

Since I booked through Costco, do I still get to skip the counter with my Avis Preferred? I did put my Wizard Number in while completing the reservation, but when I go to the Avis website I can only pull the reservation up with the confirmation number. (If I go to future rentals under My Account it says no future rentals)

How does Avis compare to Budget?

2. DowntownDiva

DowntownDiva Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're using Avis Preferred, there's no up-sell, since you shouldn't even speak to an agent. This does require you to choose your preferences on your profile (fake insurance, GPS, Child Seat, return full or pre-pay gas, etc.), but I've never had a serious problem with upselling even at the counter. As with all things like this: Know what you want, READ and confirm your documentation and ensure that it says what you think it says.

Avis and Budget are all owned by the same company. Hertz and Avis for cars are like Hilton and Marriott for hotels. Some will prefer one, others prefer the other and there's no real right or wrong. They are absolutely not a company like Fox.

With Avis Preferred you take the rental bus from McCarren, go into the rental facility, take a hard right when you get there and go down the stairs/elevator into the garage. You'll pass the main Avis desk on your left - just keep going. Assuming your paperwork is in order, there will be a Avid Preferred booth with a digital board displaying your name and the spot of the car they've chosen for you. If they need to see any documents (CC, License, etc.) it says to see the agent and you deal with whatever you need to do. If you are unhappy with the car selection, you go to the preferred both and hash it out with them (sometimes they can change you for free; other times you get charged... Depends what you want to do). You get the car and go to the exit where they confirm the car you're in is the car you're supposed to be renting (Scan a barcode on the car and show your ID to the person) as well as a quick damage check. You pull through the gates, hang a left onto the main exit path and head down the ramp to the streets.

What size car did you rent? I can tell you what you can expect.

Pro Tip: Check your reservation with AWD code: A074800. And for a week, add coupon code MUWA028 for $35 off. It's usually very cheap for me and covers mileage.

3. kjonly

kjonly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. In your last sentence you say it covers mileage. I thought the mileage was unlimited?

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably depends on how you book. If it said unlimited in your package, you're good. Avis is a top-tier car company and significantly better than Budget. We rented there once and had no problems. You should be fine.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  5. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other replies pretty much have it covered. Avis is our preferred corporate vendor. Avis Preferred means you get to skip the counter at most places. Hell, at some airports, they practically throw the keys at you as you walk by. *VERY* hassle-free with no upsells.

I am a bit embarassed to admit this, but I will even book for a few bucks more with Avis just for the speed and convenience.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.