1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Calling Them 'OFF' when the Roll is Heating Up?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by La$Vega$, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Fun until cops show up, then we play Hide n' Seek!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pass siders are typically playing for decent shooters.
    We all know that one point where we second guess ourselves and don't call off the craps action.
    You know what happens next... "No Off Remorse" especially after we have built them up nicely.
    We say, "I was just going to call them off or 1 more hit or just a little more would have put me in the black"
    Personally, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to call off your bets probability wise or even for superstition.
    Many times what was left on the felt would have put us in the black.

I sometimes call them off for the Stick Change or when there is a Disruption in the Game like someone holding up play due to a supposedly wrong pay, it seems like next roll...cinco-dos adios.

So, when would you or do you, call off your craps action?

2. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really got to grips with the rules of craps but does this mean you can actually take back all the bets you have on the table?

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No they stay up but are off and not at risk....this only applies to place or buy bets on the 6 point numbers

4. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything that's not a pass line or come bet can be turned off at your leisure. The dealer can put an "off" button on your bets or you can request they be taken down and returned to you immediately, if you don't plan on turning them back on at any point, although that tends to slow the game if you have a lot of bets.

As for the OP's question, I never turn off my bets. No point.

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I am on the pass line and the dice fly off the table I always take my bets off and pull my odds up for one roll. It's amazing how many times the shooter sevens out on the next roll. Yes, there are times when this doesn't happen and the shooter hits the point and I've not won but in 30 years of playing craps I am way, way ahead on this superstition.

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When some idiot starts causing problems for whatever reason.

Or when my wife walks up to the table.

7. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I call my bets off all of the time. I was at the local joint last weekend, and the table was so choppy we got sea sick. It got to the point that I was happy getting two hits on my place numbers, and calling them "off". It was unreal how many seven outs came on the next roll, but then again.....it was happening like that all day, and wiping me out. A couple guys started saying, "You must be psychic". I said, "Nope. Just lucky", because that's all it was. I was lucky the table ran that way. Still I lost a thousand bucks in 15 hours. 15 hours at a table that had no "streak". It just never came that day.

When I call my bets off, it is just a courtesy to the dealer, so they don't have to keep resetting me bets. Most people just say, "take me down", and then have the dealer put it back up a little while later. Rinse, repeat. The dealers HATE that!

8. sevenyo11

sevenyo11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never ever call them off. No superstition. I can see calling off and taking your bets down if you are leaving. If you are going to continue to play then what's the point of taking them down for one roll. It's not like you know a 7 is coming out next.

9. Vinegarjoe

Vinegarjoe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been the victim of, " I was going to call them off after one more roll" more times than I can remember.

As a craps veteran ( playing for over 25 years now), I have changed my strategy a bit for hot shooters. I will continue to press my place bets until I get a hit at the black chip level, then reduce all place bets to green chip level. This way, I have locked up some profit, but still have action and will then start a press/collect progression for all place bets. I find that this process is less volatile and if the 7 comes after I have reduced my place bets, it usually is a profitable hand for me.

As far as turning my bets off or taking them down: if I even see my wife ( who I refer to as the "Cooler") walking towards the craps pit I am playing at, I take all my bets down and throw the stick a hopping 7's bet.

I also will turn my bets off if the dice go off the table, if someone decides to buy in during a hot roll, if the box slows the game down for any reason, if the shooter throws 2 craps numbers in a row, if someone says SEVEN out loud before the roll, and probably a few more I haven't listed. LOL.

Everyone plays the way they want to play. Yes, the dice do not have eyes or ears, however, going with my gut is how I wish to play craps, and will continue to do so for another (hopefully) 25 years.

Regards

vinegarjoe

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the shooter himself calls his bets off. Sometimes superstitious shooters will call off their bets when they went too tall. I usually follow suit.

I also take back my passline odds bet for that roll.

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great quote. I love it. You've made my day! :thumbsup::beer:

12. La$Vega$

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, the #1 most important reason to call them off!

13. La$Vega$

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that's the point. You can sense it coming. How many times have you seen a guy call off their bets and they look like a genius. It's worse when a gal does it. You have usually beaten the probabilities by then and built them up on a decent roll. More than likely you are in the black or near it. Off for a roll or two every now and then can't hurt.

Yesterday, I walk in and a lady was on a small heater. I wanted to get in on the action, but I have a little etiquette (not much, but a little). So, I begin talking shop with one of the regulars and see another guy walk up with a few hundred and we both agreed that the guy jumping into the game during her roll was going to phuck it up. He buys in the middle of the roll (dice are in the middle), slows down the action a little, the guy I was speaking to was adamant, "He phucked it up", he says, she gets the dice back and BAM 7-out. We both looked at each other shook our heads and I said "You called it".

So, if out of 36 numbers 6 are 7's, anytime I get a sense that the chemistry is bad, I'll call them off. All I lose is one roll, perhaps 1 bet one too.
    In reality you are just timing the guess.
    I don't care if I have worked all the boxes into odds and not repeated. If there is a weird vibe. I'm saying off. I just don't do it as much as I preach it.
    If you have 1-2 bets, ya, probably a moot point.

CALELLA:
    All bets are off when you tell the dealer "I'm off". Some dealers will leave your hard ways or hop bets on and they will usually ask you about you pass line odds.
    As far as what goes off when you tell the dealer off, all place bets (like the others have said), all odds go off too, just not your flat contract pass or come bets.
    You do have to pick up your pass odds or tell the dealer distinctly that your pass odds are off too, if the dice are out.
    "Pass odds off too" or "off on everything", including (if you have any) "hardways or hop bets"
    I like to let the dealer and boxman know ahead of time and say, if I call my bets "off", all bets are off, all odds, hard guys, hops (which I usually would not have anyway)
    This way there is a record of it and you don't lose the $ on the hard guys, which has happened. If you want all off but the pass odds, tell the dealer that too!

Waitress walking up to the shooter...hmmmm?

14. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks for your reply, didn't know you could do this and if i ever learn this game properly it is good to know. Cheers.

15. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone should mention The Number With No Name, I immediately call at least my hardway bets off.

16. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    16.67% of the time to be precise.

17. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading this thread; it was on the back of my mind as I was playing craps today, so I kept track.

Did the seven come up on the next roll when....

Cocktail waitress ask or deliver drinks : No
    Dice flew off the table : surprising no in 8 times.
    short roll : yes once, but that can't be predicted.
    horn numbers come up : 1 in 9 times surprisingly.

people buying in : none surprisingly again.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't a hot table, but the seven just didn't come up when those things happened that I tracked. I actually lost a bunch.

Maybe we only remember the times that it does happen?

18. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I think you figured it out!

19. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Maybe we only remember the times that it does happen?"
    Exactly

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas: