1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Some post trip observations........

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by captainron62, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My recent Super Bowl 6 day trip is complete and I posted a report. The report got a little windy so I cut it short. There were some observations I wanted to include to see if others noticed the same. :peace:

Firstly, the crowds were real! This had to be one of the best years as far as occupancy goes.

With all of the new overpasses, escalators and lack of walking room on the strip the escalators not working causes a serious jam and makes it a slow and tedious process to get around. I hope LV becomes makes an effort to keep the escalators running as those steps are long for the older folks. I am not an "older folk" yet, but I did notice some having a hard time getting around. :thumbsdown:

What is with all the scooters? I noticed a ton of people on scooters for recreation, not out of need. We saw a couple groups of 20 somethings running around on them, riding double etc. :rolleyes2:

The number of timeshare hawkers seemed to way up. Some were quite aggressive, I usually don't even get bothered. When entering the PH mall a guy literally jumped right in front of me and tried to block us so we would listen. Super rude. :grrr:

Also the number of these cosmetic shops trying to offer 10 min. facial fixes and all that stuff seem to have grown. Everyone trying to hand you something gets old.

We all hate the closing of our favorite older joints only to see chain restaurants etc. open up. On the flip side I do like what the LINQ has done. We had a blast at Brooklyn Bowl and I highly recommend. I thought the prices were very reasonable and the venue was a blast!

The prices for "Big Game" parties gets more ridiculous each year. This is a free broadcast. Throwing in some draft beer and charging $100 plus per person is silly. :thumbsdown:

We have always touted LV as the service capital of the U.S. This was the first year we experienced some poor service and just a lack or even caring. Maybe it was the crowds, but likely not. I think the sudden reemergence of the LV crowds has caused some rapid expansion and I guess there are only so many good service workers in one city.

We expressly have stopped using cabs. We stay mid strip and walk or use the Tram. I don't need the hassle of thieving cab drivers anymore. A little extra for a limo to and from the airport is worth it. :beer:

There are still many good deals and values in LV if you take the time to look and educate yourself.

There are always new and fun things to do. We never get to do and see as much as we had hope and there are always things to do for next time. I guess that is what keeps us coming back!

2. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first Super Bowl in Vegas but probably on of busiest trips I've had. Occupancy is rising again.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Super Bowl was a lot of fun but like you said the crowds were real. The table minimums were ridiculous at Cosmo. First time Ive ever seen a $300 min. Before Tuesday the smallest min I'd see was $25 early in the morn with $50+ during the day. For craps this is crazy. I feel like my play was reduced due to this. I easily get $50 out there but I like to place some numbers, take odds, etc.. At a $50 I can't really do that.

If I come back for super bowl maybe I do downtown.

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we love that time of year for a vacation. I am 50/50 the more I think about it though for next year. There are other weeks that are still a lot of fun w/out the crazy crowds and pricing that comes with.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

thanks for posting ,Ron.
    I have to "live Vegas" thru you guys, right now.
    Your observations always seem fair + insightful.
    No trips til my little guy gets older.

6. GROWLR

GROWLR Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been to Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend, but I'd think that quality of service would go down due to so many people in town at that time. Though I don't agree that it should happen that way, I just think that's why it does.

And, I'm totally with you on the cab drivers. I've gotten to the point that I just put up with them to and from the airport and hope for the best. Though that might change soon and I'll be going for the limo too. But while I'm in town I walk everywhere. (And I haven't noticed the escalators not working, that does suck for the older folks.)

7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great post, Ron. My two cents on your observations:

I agree about the crowds. Definitely more people than last year. I will be curious to see what march madness looks like. That's always the weekend I use to gauge what the crowds in vegas will be like for the year.

And I agree about both the escalators and the cabs. seems like my last couple of trips, there have been more broken escalators than usual. The cab situation in Vegas has become ridiculous in recent years. Hopefully the returning crowds means they will get their revenue back up and stop trying to swindle customers. I almost never take them anymore

I Need Spa
  8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

One solution to the sidewalk congestion/cab situation - shut down the LV Blvd. to vehicular traffic and run a tram from the airport to the Strip. Let people use LV Blvd as one big sidewalk.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Oooh Chef......great idea !........but would the Almighty Powerful think
    that a poor decision financially ?.........I think they would.

10. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always enjoy your observations, Ron. Thanks!

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I just haven't had the overwhelmingly negative cab experiences that so many report. In my nine trips I've probably averaged four-five cab rides a trip, so let's say 40 total rides and I think I can remember two bad experiences. So 95% neutral to positive, including some very friendly guys. I thought about doing the limo thing last trip, but decided against it. I think I'd feel like a low-level Mafioso or something. The gang of limo drivers hanging out at the bottom of the escalator doesn't seem much classier than just getting in a cab.

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I waited the same wait! It will come fast enough!

The funny thing is the bad service we received were not at the most crowded places or peak times. I even mentioned to the manager at Paris that I have seen the crowds much worse and she agreed. I am all for the walking, we really enjoy getting out in the beautiful desert weather and staying at Bally's everything is just a walk away!

I have never tried MM, I heard a bartender comment just as you have, that it should be insane this year! The escalators didn't use to seem like such a big deal, but with the new designs they have become almost as important as traffic signals when the crowds are large. I talked to a cabbie this trip about he hustlers, he said he blames the employers more than the employees. He explained the system they use to rate their employees and who gets to work each day and its all based on an average of their fares. He said they constantly tell them to "sell the fare" which is wink, wink for long haul and take the customer out of their way.

A year or so ago I totally agreed with you! One bad trip changed all of that!

12. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's been my experience as well. My wife and I travel extensively and have found Las Vegas cabs to be some of the most reliable and efficient ones. And, the prices aren't that high. Like others, we've been long-hauled, but learned to keep on top of that quickly. I've seen several LV cab drivers go out of their way to help when we've needed it.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.