1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My fellow Canadians: How does the low dollar impact your Vegas trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by cjohnson202, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree that it sucks. I still maintain Canadian accounts although I left Canada about 5 years ago. As someone making US $'s now; I actually love it and add to my canadian holdings from time to time.
    I still remember for my first trip to Vegas, October 2001 for my brothers wedding, I want to say the Canadian dollar was at 63 cents USD. That was painful! It's still in relatively good shape compared to then...

2. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dollar sucks, no doubt about it. I am really glad that we bought my USD a couple weeks ago before the dollar dropped under 0.85. My trip has a bit of a decline in the bankroll as I'm going alone and can't talk DH into letting me take his half! If it weren't for the comped rooms, FP & FB it definitely would impact my trip some as I would be putting out more costs for those expenses. I'm glad I have a decent offer where I'm staying but really wish I was staying where I had a much better offer; but, my mom really wants to stay at MGM. If we can get a good flight price and have the comps to buffer our trips I don't think the dollar will stop us from going to Vegas unless we see it go well below 0.80. Our bankroll might get a bit smaller but not so much it will have any effect on how much fun we have when gambling.

If the dollar does go to low we will probably make more day trips across the border for a quick fix or do more local "golf" excursions.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will reduce my trips. Bu they needed to be reduced anyways......

4. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just noticed it dropped again today after the interest rate drop. Was trading at 76 cents at one point. Not sure where it closed. I'll buy some CAD soon though.

5. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My $300 airfare will be $400. It is painful...but it won't stop me from going.

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I swear I could practically hear a big gasp coming from the north this morning after the BOC news.

7. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

8. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know when the pinch becomes noticeable on Canadian visitors if resorts will up their comps to at least keep the customer base coming?

9. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, no clue where I got that other # from.

10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know a lot of places stateside such as ski resorts and theme parks used to offer Canadian dollar at par specials the last time our dollar took a dive and cross border tourism dropped. Did Vegas ever do this?

11. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas, since I've been going, has never given us a break on our currency. We used to bring CAD but it was to no advantage, Reno was a different story at one time not sure if it still is.

I hope they up our comps that might make the drop with more ease, but I highly doubt that will happen unless they feel a huge hit; and I'm not sure that our dollar dropping will be enough of a hit for them to take with the worldwide business they receive.

12. BCguy

BCguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm booked for the end of next month and will be going in late October to our timeshare so it's not necessarily going to stop me as far as Vegas goes. Other U.S. trips might suffer though if the dollar continues to drop, which seems likely. No more cross border shopping trips to Bellingham, Wash.

13. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although the Canadian $ falling, the USD is in serious trouble.

People are going to say that the USD is strong right now - but as you look at the global political positioning the USD is in serve trouble - it always looks calm before the storm (bookmark this as you will wonder how did that guy on that forum know).

There is no second bailout coming. Actual Gold is being bought in droves by China.

Maybe this site isn't supposed to be political...but when you start talking $ it's impossible not to add politics.

- - - Updated - - -

14. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How will I work with it?

I may not go tis year!

I'll keep playing MyVegas and doing Social Rewards as they are earned at USD.

I'll be looking at flying out of Canada as opposed to hoping across the boarder.

Comp rooms will be a must (for at least part of the stay).

I'll stay at a cheaper hotel IF it still comes out cheaper after paying to get into the Flamingo pool.

I won't do sacrifice doing the 'must do's' on my list. If I cant afford the 'must do;s' I'll wait to go until I can.

15. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flight is already paid, rooms comped and RC to pay for resort fee, MyVegas rewards to help pay for a couple of meals so I'm prepared for those parts of the trip. Have 2/3 of my normal BR already in USD but not likely to buy more USD if the exchange stays as is or gets worse. Simply means there won't be any marathon BJ sessions unless I'm winning or I'll have to spend more time downtown which isn't a bad thing.

16. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in September I had spoken with my host at Cosmo. He said in the regular calculation of marketing offers they consider the distance that you are travelling etc into their offers. I wouldn't doubt that they would also factor in the exchange for the various countries as well. They don't have to make it as enticing for someone to drive 30 minutes to redeem an offer as someone who has to buy airfare etc. I would anticipate it already was a factor even if we couldn't see it. That said, they also realize when they give freeplay, it's more valuable than the same amount to a US citizen who could be still far enough away that has to fly to Vegas too. So, not sure that it would mean that they feel the need to increase it because the exchange rate is poor.

17. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can. $ dropped below .80c mark today. Grab them cakes!

18. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it falls to .75 and trades at .70 I won't be going anytime soon.

19. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might get to your low limit yet!

Long term forcast is scattered. Some say $.75 other say $0.70
    Take off another $.05 on exchange and it isn't looking good

20. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It isn't looking to good for many trips to Vegas for us this year if the forecast as predicted is correct; that being said, where there's a will there's a way. I remember going when the dollar was 63c, that didn't stop us, but then we didn't enjoy the gambling then as we do now.

I'm so glad I have this trip to look forward to and it's booked, planned and paid for!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.