1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fastest and Cheapest way to earn 755 Tier Credits

Discussion in 'Comps' started by hotlights, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotlights

hotlights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I'm 755 Tier Credits short of Platinum status with Total Rewards. It looks like I have until the end of the year to earn 755 to be Platinum. I know Platinum is not that great but considering I don't have to go into work till after the new year, plan to make a few trips to vegas next year, and I'm a 20 minute drive away from the Horseshoe Hammond(IN) I figure its worth my time to grind the 755 points needed to get Platinum.

What is the most efficient way to earn 755 tier credits over the next few days? I'm assuming its video poker but I've only played vp once so any advice on games/limits that would not make me go broke trying to earn 755 TCs.

Thanks in advance

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every $5 in the slot, or $10 in VP will get you a point.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like avoiding going broke in this endeavor a concern for you, so I'd recommend playing more hands at lower denominations with multiline VP Unfortunately, Hammond does not have multi line VP at the penny level. Nickels is the lowest denomination available.

Your options are 50 play and 25 play with Super Times Pay (STP). STP is an optional bet for an extra credit per hand where random multipliers are awarded. It's fun, but this also makes the game more swingy, which you probably don't want.

Note on these machines you don't have to bet all the lines to bet five credits a hand. It's desirable to bet five credits because of the higher royal flush payout.

As mentioned previously, it's $10 a tier credit for VP, and each line would cost a quarter. So you have to decide how long you want to grind on the machines by the number of lines you choose. To speed things along, you probably also want to hit the turbo button. 25 lines ($6.25 a hand) on turbo should knock it out in a few hours or so. The longer you are willing to play though, the less lines you need to play per round, which will lower the overall swing.

As for which game to play, I'd recommend 6/5 Bonus poker as it's low variance and the best returning game at the nickel level. The strategy is very similar to jacks or better. The detailed strategy is in the link below. To use it, just pick the highest choice on the list that your hand actually contains.

http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-37-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-2-d-3-d-4-d-5-d-6-d-25-d-40-d-80-d-50-d-800/

I dunno what kind of bankroll you were looking at, but anything less than $500 likely has a decent chance to go bust. If you run bad could even be a low 4 digit loss. Hitting at least one $200 royal would be a plus, preferably even more.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  4. hotlights

hotlights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I can comfortably set aside 1k for this as far as my bankroll goes. I just am not familiar with vp machines or slots. I only play poker bj and craps. On my last trip to vegas my buddy introduced my to ultimate hold em and video poker. I just have a fear that I will be playing on a machine and make a bunch of sub-optimal decisions. I guess playing continuing to play on wizard of odds sims should help.

Also I was only going to stick to JoB machines, but can see myself getting bored quickly so will try a couple of the other games you recommend as well.

Will the machine tell me how many points I am accumulating in real time?

5. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Does the TR Visa still give Platinum status? If so, that is an option. I also believe you now get TCs for spending at the hotels, so instead of risking money, you could just purchase your way to Platinum.

6. hotlights

hotlights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure they still do, that's not an option for me tho.

7. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe TR Visa still gives Platinum status, but platinum status does not get your resort fees waived in Vegas anymore. What benefits of Platinum are you wanting? Separate lines? It may not be worth it to you to drop the coin the get it.

8. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Horseshoe Hammond has 9/6 JOB at the $1 level. If you ran $6,300 through it in one day you would earn exactly 755 tier credits with the bonus. That is 1260 hands of video poker or about 2 hours. With perfect play you could very well walk out ahead or only lose a little bit.

9. macfisto

macfisto Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember too that you get a 125 tier credit bonus when you earn 500 tier credits in a gaming day. So in your case you'd only need to earn 630 credits to get to 755.

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only dollar games at Hammond that give full tier points for 9/6 JoB are 3 play/5 play deal/draw games on the all star iis on the main floor (10 credits per hand). That's $30 per round and a recipe for ruin with a $1k bankroll. The spin poker in the high limit room earns at a 5X slower rate.

Without any bankroll considerations, I would suggest 7/5 bonus with ultimate four of a kind bonus for single line dollars (99.96% w/optimal strategy and earns full points.) But setting aside only $1000 that game is probably a bloodbath too if he is short on quads.

Is all this worth earning platinum? Meh. If they would still be waiving resort fees, then I would say "hell yes".

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  11. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am kind of in a similar situation, as I'm 1300 points away from Diamond. I thought about making a trip to Caesars Windsor (I'm in Toronto, so about a 4 hour drive) and earning the points, but in the end, decided to just be happy with Platinum and save diamond for next year. With three total rewards trips planned for next year as opposed to the two I did this year, I should have no problem getting diamond, plus the only perk I'm interested in is the resort fees waived, and with my play, they seem to be waived everytime anyways. If you wanted my opinion, Platinum probably isn't worth the money it's going to cost you to get there, unless of course you win, then hey!

12. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would absolutely do it on the spending with 5 points for every dollar spent. I'd spend $150 on a meal to secure it, then use the $850 leftover bankroll to see if you can win back dinner cost!

Lol, after just making gold at venetian this year I later realized they double charged my resort fees due to an error when setting up my comp. Since I had included the spending in the calculation of points to get gold, I didn't bother to go back and get it corrected. I actually thought it was cheaper than going back and earning the points on slots. Awful, I know!!!!

13. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once again Tringlomane with the solid advice.

Platinum probably isn't worth it to gamble for it. The pluses are drying up.

The "spend" option VegasChic and CJ mentioned don't sound as (potentially) bad.

14. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I don't think there is a lot of benefit to being Platinum at CET.

Even if you attempt it in a single day, you'll need 630 tier credits since you'll get a 125 credit bonus.
    I've played $1 slots (at 5 x $1) for a few hours and hit a lucky streak. I earned 800 tier credits and still came out ahead.
    We've all sat at a slot machine where we've put our money in and hit virtually nothing......much like PSO at a craps table.

I would say unless you get very lucky and can recycle money in a VP or slot machine.....Platinum isn't worth it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  15. hotlights

hotlights Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the advice. not going to make the trip as the perks aren't worth it. also, during my last trip to vegas in december I stayed at ph and got was not charged resort fees/got them waived upon check in.

16. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been where you are now, and I played 100 play 1cent VP. $5 a hand credit (2 hands per point) and you never get wiped out. There is always a return on every game usually 250+ of 500 bet and if you get dealt something good you could go even further on little invested. You just have to play turbo mode or it'll take you longer. And you should play DDB because those 2000 coin Aces come up pretty frequent when you're playing 100 hands.

17. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any time I needed to rack up points to hit status at the end of the year - I'll sit down at one-line Quarter Bonus Poker and grind it out. If you have a tablet (iPad) then download WinPoker. It's a great teaching tool that'll tell you if/when you make a sub-optimal play. It's also a great way to pass a slow day at the office. :)

Though, unfortunately, I have to agree with the majority of this thread that it'll likely cost you 1k if you run bad. But you won't run bad - because it's all about attitude.

Also, I thought that if you rack up 500 in a day you get an additional 250? That might change your plans where you may just want one long session..

18. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently.. it's 125...

*Earn 500 Tier Credits in one day and receive an additional 125 Tier Credit bonus
    *Earn 1,000 Tier Credits in one day and receive an additional 1,000 Tier Credit bonus
    *Earn 2,500 Tier Credits in one day and receive an additional 5,000 Tier Credit bonus

19. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack this thread but I thought I'd ask here before starting a new thread: for the tier credit bonus based on credits earned in one day: if I check in on Wednesday and out on Monday, when would the tier credits for the room be counted? I wanted to gamble more on whatever day they post to maximize the bonus.

20. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think that's possible. I believe those tier credits aren't posted for a week after check out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.