1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Something for the wine fans here, and apt for this time of year

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few of our friends were called out in this short piece.

Paso gets due credit for hot-weather grapes, and the two nodes of the central coast get their props from Pinot (and Chardonnay), but across the AVAs there's a good deal of commendable Rhone-ing going on, something we discovered early on when we relocated. If you think Syrah is only expressed as Shiraz, nose around these here parts. And as varietals and not just blenders, Mourvedre and Grenache can be a lot of fun

http://www.winemag.com/Web-2014/California-Central-Coast-Rhones/

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're not unfamiliar, but rarely spend at that level for other than Cabs. Maybe we should. But have you really had a transcendent experience with a Grenache? I suppose I shouldn't be prejudiced- haven't tried one as a red other than low end. But it's such a common grape.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I doubt I've ever had a transcendent experience with any wine; maybe a Petrus. lol

Not sure about Grenache plantings around the world -- obviously they should be higher in Spain and the Rhone. In CA it might make it just into the top 10 grapes, and when you throw out the usual suspects and some strict blenders above it, that's not a lot of acreage. But it is a tough grape to get correctly as a varietal because of the fruit. Syrah is a different bugger. It would be fun to see a blind tasting of Cote-Rotie v. some Australian Shiraz and CA Syrahs. Hell, I'd love to participate! Anyway, guess it's just another reason for you to come out and we bounce around the county ... with our driver (not drivers).

Spending is subjective. For one, does anyone buy at retail? I know we don't pay anywhere near the listed price for a couple on that list. But I do get your point. And such is the inflation and vig of the noble Cabernet Sauvignon. Likely the most overwrought of production grapes anywhere when you think of all the fawning idolatry that attends so much of it. And Pinot is going that route, too. Oh, and don't get me going on California's "native" grape and what some maniacs are doing to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.