1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cirque du Soliel is no more

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Snowbelle3, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not surprising, actually, I think that genre has run its course.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it just me who thinks it's poor form to bait readers with a false title?

Bill

4. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, a better title would be "Cirque de Soleil is no longer producing new shows"

5. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even think its fully a true statement to say, they are not producing any new shows.
    What is true their growth and expansion diluted the brand. Revenues have not kept pace with operating costs.

So now they like most other companies have to re-invent their business model. That means less shows, and expanding into other areas.
    While its probably true Vegas is played out for Cirque shows, and we will not see another major new Cirque show for a long long time in Vegas.

Something on a smaller more intimate scale could definitely happen. Think Rose Rabbit Lie style show, where Cirque is the producer.
    Licensing of some of their IP, or perhaps some short Broadway style shows themed around a holiday event.

The WSJ, put out an updated article about their business plan, which I assume the OP was referring too. You can read all about their business challenges at the WSJ link below.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cirque-du-soleils-next-act-rebalancing-the-business-1417474778

6. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is good news. Every time something unique comes along in Vegas, it is copied and recopied until the whole town becomes homogeneous. (Cirque Du Soleil,nightclubs with one-word names and bottle service,Walgreens/CVS locations on the Strip, shopping promenades, spring break-like pool parties with entry fees, etc.) Sometimes a genius comes up with a good idea. And then it is ruined when it becomes the only idea. :snore:

Here's hoping there's a great new idea out there for entertainment.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK... so here's how this will go down... Cirque has stopped producing shows... slowly, they'll begin to close... VMBers, almost to a person, will post that these shows have all "run their course" (not pickin' on you DMR, others will all feel the same) and they'll pontificate on what should replace them and get excited about something new. Then... 15-20 years from now they'll be posts, possibly from many of the same VMBers, that Vegas just isn't the same as it was in the Cirque du Soliel days! How those were the good ole days and these new shows suck and how they just aren't as excited about their Las Vegas visits anymore!

Such is the circle of Vegas.

8. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't it like that for all things? I predict Vegas is in its next wave of entertainment replication, which is attempting to be the premier concert / festival location in the world.

Electric Daisy, I heart Music, Harvest Country Music Festival, Rock in Rio, Burining Man, etc

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As to Cirq... we go to LOVE everytime we are in Vegas. Have seen Mystere, Ka, "O", Elvis, Michael Jackson, Zumanity. Only other ones we would consider seeing again are Ka and "O", and of course LOVE.

If you look back to see the more recent operations and how well or not so well they have done it becomes obvious why there are no more shows coming out. They have burned through the options.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm one who welcomed the Walgreens/CVS. I've been visiting LV since the days when they had NO Walgreens and I missed the convenience I was used to at home. Back then, all you had for pharmacies in the Strip area were White Cross up by then Vegas World and Landmark Pharmacy over by, uh, Landmark. Both were very expensive, had limited stock, and were inconvenient to get to. I also appreciate the fact that both W and C have quick-care clinics so I know that if I come down with the Creepie Crawlie Crud when I'm in LV I can get help.

Now back to shows.

I never remember hearing chat along the line that either the headliner-rat-pack-variety shows or the extravaganza song-and-dance showgirl production shows back in Old Vegas were becoming same-old-same-old at all.

And, at risk of being stoned to death :) I'm really glad that they now have entertainment that appeals to twentysomethings. (Even though they don't tend to gamble and push prices up for the rest of us.) When I first started visiting LV it seemed that everything was geared for people who were at least 1/2 a generation older than I was and I kind of felt left out by that.

11. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not opposed to a Walgreens or two. I'm just wondering if we need one every 10 steps.

As for Cirque, meh. Seen one seen 'em all. I saw La Reve last week (yeah, I know it's not "technically" Cirque...same taste different smell). It was pretty good. I wouldn't see it again though.

I saw Nocturne at Cosmo before it closed. I loved it. I couldn't wait to see it again. And then it closed. I'm clearly in the minority, taste-wise, but I thought the show was one of a kind and I felt like I was seeing something I couldn't see anywhere else. Same for the old production shows that are now gone (Folies Bergere anyone?) Cirque doesn't give me that "Vegas" feeling.

12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swallowed hook, line, and sinker. Then I realized, wait a minute.....:nono:

13. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, the good ol' bait.

Not intentional. It felt like the end of an empire when I read the article. If I were to rewrite the title it would be "Cirque gives up on acrobatics". chalk it up to flair. The title can be changed but thankfully the reality,as I see it, remains the same.

14. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the day we arrive at McCarran
    And blinking, step into the sun
    There's more to see than can ever be seen
    More to do than can ever be done
    There's far too much to take in here
    More to find than can ever be found
    But the sun rolling high
    Through the sapphire sky
    Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the Circle of Vegas
    And it moves us all
    Through Venetian and Wynn
    Through Ceasars and MGM
    Till we find our place
    On the Strip unwinding
    In the Circle
    The Circle of Vegas

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BRAVO! :nworthy:

16. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, the good thing is Cirque Du Soliel will most likely survive. It sounds like an important issue for you. Perhaps you could consider the news to indicate more of a business model correction rather than outright surrender. For, good business leaders adapt to changing conditions rather than blindly pushing onward.

Bill

17. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, which sounds a wise move on their part. Cirque has dominated the entertainment scene with regard to shows. Shifting their focus makes me a happy camper. I would hope it opens doors to other possibilities in Vegas entertainment.

18. Bluskies

Bluskies Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me, too. I go to see "The Beatles' Love" every time I am in Vegas. Will be there for my 60th birthday in a few months and it will be the 10th time I have seen the show.

19. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOVE (and KÀ) top my Cirque list as well.

Bill

20. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amazing! I need this on my wall. Lion King is my favorite show ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.