1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Family conversations during the holidays...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by lotso-bear, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing better than seeing your family members during the holidays and the conversations you have...

Since I'm in my mid-20's, my aunts always ask me if I found a lovely girl to settle down with. Considering my job requires that I travel 75% of the year, I never really considered settling down since I doubt there's a girl out there who would love to have a boyfriend who is never home. (Maybe there is since they don't have to deal with the bs on a daily basis :peace: ) So, I keep telling them no. They then respond that I should settle down soon before I get old and wrinkly... Fantastic.. My uncle then chimes in and says that I shouldn't listen to them. He tells me to enjoy my bachelor life and I shouldn't worry about settling down until I'm in my fifties and need help with my daily lifestyle.He then tells me that as long as I'm doing financially well, there will always be a young girl with a hot body that would be happy to be my wife. It's funny he says this since he's in his mid-50's and has a wife who is in her mid-30's (and has a killer body). My brother and I are convinced that his wife was a mail-order bride... she's an absolutely amazing person though. :thumbsup:

Afterwards my brother, uncle, and I decided to have a few single malts, smoke a stogie, and talk about "guy stuff". Ahhh....

2. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good advice in todays world. My buddy,son and I did the same thing after dinner out in my cigar lounge also known as the garage. A little cold this year

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting to listen to how all the world's problems would be old news if they would just......do this that and the other....(which if they did the world would explode!)...

I always suggest they run for office (or their cars) but they never do....

Always a spike in alcohol sales prior to the arrival of the holidays though......and it is over today at noon so onward to Christmas!!

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would only take a minute or two before my 3 brothers would start in on hunting stories and that would be the end of all conversation. My sister and I would butt in with some topic out of the blue, but 30 seconds later we would be back to hunting.

I would try to steer the conversation to Mom and Dad, especially Mom, who annually busted her ass making the feast right up until she was 77 years old.

30 seconds later, more deer fever stories. I refused to stoop to their level and start telling Vietnam stories.

Want to know something? My Mom made a fabulous non-heritage turkey dinner. God, how I miss those days.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your uncle is correct.

Life is too short to have to trudge through it burdened by an anchor.

Life is made for living!!

Its called mgtow (men going their own way). enjoy your freedom.

6. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey now, hold on a second! What age are your aunts considering old and wrinkly? I am a bit past the half century mark and do not consider myself old and wrinkly. Oh yeah, and stay off my lawn...

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I lived your uncle's advice......exactly as he advised !
    Have NEVER regetted a thing about it.
    I now have a 3 yr old son and beautiful wife......I wouldn't have been much
    of a Dad - back in the day......and probably would have lost my son
    in divorce.
    Had all the hot chicks while playing rock'n'roll all those years ago.
    Breeze -
    You crack me up with the brother's hunting stories !
    It would make a great sitcom episode !

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having not taken the plunge until just before my 37th, and having spent just a wee bit more time than is typical in college, for years and years I received the double-barrel of the inquiries. This year our best friends were over and we all avoided this usual scene.

Though we don't have kids, we know that nothing ever beats what tumbles out of their mouths, however, and many years back ...

Four-year-old, anxiously waving his arms to be recognized as talk turned to the ubiquitous, For what do you give thanks? roundtable, offered this peach of a gem: "I know what [his brother] is thankful for."

Grandma: "And what is ____ thankful for, ____?"

Nephew: "He's thankful for his penis."

9. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the same shit as well. How many times do I have to tell you grandma that I am never gonna get married!! I'm also never having kids either, I'm 30 years old and have decided I don't want them so stop asking me, and stop telling me "you'll change your mind someday".

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Livin' the life! Must be different for guys since we don't have a "biological clock".

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it's definitely worse for a woman. I made the decision to not have kids a LOOOONG time ago and because of that, marriage is not a priority for me. I still have relatives insisting that I can still find that right guy and have kids even though A) I'm not looking for a guy and B) I'm old enough that having kids is no longer realistic. These same relatives can't understand why I don't spend holidays with them. It's simple: I don't want to curse them out over the dinner table!

13. TrixieM

TrixieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My daughter is in grad school, shopping for a doc program, not married, and not in a hurry to get married. Hates kids (although she's awesome with them and they always adore her.) But she says she hates kids and will never have any. And normally I'd believe she's just saying that and she'll change her mind. But right now, I'm totally okay with that, after ending a long, exhausting Black Friday in a train-wrecked Toys-R-Us with my sisters family which includes a cranky toddler and even-more-cranky almost-toddler ("they're just tired and haven't had a nap all day") who've been told "don't touch anything." Yep, in a toy store--all these toys and YOU can't touch 'em. And then being asked to push the buggy with almost-toddler in it while she screams and kicks me in the stomach for five minutes and people are looking at me like I should do something about this. And to be honest, this isn't unusual behaviour for them because, "they're so smart and easily bored so they act up and throw tantrums." Oh....so I made my kids behave and told them "no" once in a while, so I guess I stunted their intelligence.

Anyways, my daughter has been asked by family and our friends if she's going to get married and have kids, and she says, "No, I hate kids." They usually stutter something back, and she pretends her phone is ringing and says, "oops--on call and gotta take this one." and walks away. Works like a charm. They've pretty much stopped asking her that. They don't ask my on this stuff yet, I guess since he's a guy and still an undergrad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.