1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SLS buffet closes

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by westie, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never try it looks like I'll have to wait til next year. I heard it was not that good. I was there opening week and it was not impressive.

3. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope they don't have to close anything else. That's not a good vibe.

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boo HIss!! . . . I earned two free buffets there on my last trip, but since it was on a weekday, I deferred.

I've contacted them to see if it can be deferred even further or converted.

Anyone eat at the Asian themed restaurant?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good riddance. The buffet was terrible.

@DaiLun, Yes, I have eaten at Ku Noodle. It was an overpriced and tasteless experience. I would recommend you take a trip down to Chinatown if you're looking for Chinese.

In all fairness, I had fine experiences at every other restaurant at SLS with the exception of these two and the poolside dining.

6. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I told you guys it's in a bad location............1st floor FTW!!

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should be fine after Rock in Rio. But oof, what a bad way to debut.

The problem is they want the LA crowd, but the LA crowd doesn't want them.

8. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if they were on the first floor, I don't think that would have saved them. The food was bad and the pricing was off.

Look at a restaurant like Secret Pizza at Cosmo that has no signage and is tucked down a hallway. They make a solid pizza and are constantly busy.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Again, I really think the road to success for this place is to market heavily to locals during the week, and they DO tend to want a buffet, if reasonably-priced, and then cater to the El-Lay party animals on weekends, and yes, they may as well close the buffet then.

I'm sure the management and marketroid types have thought of this, but my hunch is they are reluctant to "lower themselves" to go after the local (spelled older folks, vp fans, etc.) people to help them ride out the weekdays.

10. cuteje

cuteje Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sad to hear about this. This is actually my new favorite buffet after having been to the ones at Bellagio, Wynn, Caesars Palace and Cosmopolitan. I don't usually eat a lot and the buffet happened to have everything I'd like to eat in quality.

The article days it shutters on Sunday and I've been making plans to go there this Sunday. Did it shutter last week or will this coming Sunday to be their last day?

11. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate it that SLS isn't wildly successful. I want more, more, more Las Vegas. More variety, more hotels, more vibe. I want them to have the same success the Hard Rock did. As much success as Mandalay Bay. As strong as Palazzo. To me, Vegas is better with more hotels being more successful.

I see SLS being kind of a foot-in-the-door for growth of the North Strip. Its success helps Resorts World be more successful, Riviera, and (shoot me for having hope) Fontainebleau.

Shutters suck.

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently posted this on another board, but it seems appropriate to post it here, as well:

"This topic prompted me to look up some old posts on VMB. In March, 2009 I posted on a "Sahara Buffet" thread, "I have to agree with the others - eat elsewhere! Admittedly, I ate there only once a few years back, but that was enough. It's not that anything was particularly bad; in fact, they had a pretty good spread. It's just that everything tasted "funny."

In December, 2009, my contribution to a thread entitled, "Sahara Buffet closing for good Tuesday?" read, "I hate to see most things in Vegas close; but if true, and having survived the ordeal once, this is a big PLUS!"

No joke, even including the buffet at Circus Circus (many years earlier) and the dreaded buffet at the old Imperial Palace, the buffet at Sahara was the worst! Maybe they kept the same kitchen crew after becoming SLS! I remember the only things not tasting funny were the pizza and iced tea."

13. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the memories Turtleman. The Sahara buffet was the worst buffet I've ever been to. I walked out shaking my head after being disgusted by a half dozen different items I put on my plate. Back then my standards were really low, but Sahara somehow managed to crawl under them.It's not surprising that they would fail at this again.

Other than the buffet, I liked the old Sahara. I once capped a night of cheap gambling by drinking 45 $1 kamakazee shots and a few Miller High Lifes at their bar. I stacked the shot glasses in a pyramid :wink2:

14. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would that be 45 watered-down shots? I can't imagine someone drinking 45 shots and not having to be wheeled out of the place to an ambulance...

15. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur. Unless it's a very long night or you're superman when it comes to drinking.

TomTWI

16. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    45 true shots is pushing it. I could do 30+ if you dial up the way back machine, but now 20 or so would be my limit.

Nick:beer:

17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm thinking of the right thing, kamikaze shots aren't really true "shots", but more of a mixed drink that's often served in shot-glass-sized portions.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG you gotta be kidding! Three drinks and I am over the DUI limit. (I've actually measured it with a brethalyzer.) I think about 7 over the course of an evening is the most I've had for years! Even in my college days I know I've never had 20-30! Jeesh! That's alcohol poisoning!

19. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The shot glasses Sahara used for them were on the small side. They were probably watered down as well. I was kind of crazy in my younger days though. You got to keep the shot glasses, they had the Sahara logo on them.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.