1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Reward credit question

Discussion in 'Comps' started by vegasloverfromatl, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasloverfromatl

vegasloverfromatl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is such a simple question but I cannot find the answer on the TR website and we only go once a year so I forget from year to year. I have 10,342 reward credits. That is equal to $103.42 in comps right? I just booked three comped nights at Paris in October and just cannot wait! Every year around this time, I book and then stalk these boards for info so I'm sure this is just the beginning of my posts.

Also, if anyone would care to tell me the best way to pay for meals with the comps ie. charge to room and pay later vs pay right then and the difference in doing so (no tax vs tax), I would sure appreciate it. I know it is discussed on here so I can search too if y'all don't feel like helping a girl out.

I remember last year we ate at Mesa Grill and split our check with our friends who were not total rewards members and somehow I got screwed but I can't remember the scenario.

Thanks y'all!

2. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Charge everything to your room. You will have to pay tips unless you are a big player.

3. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. And I like to pay at point of sale with my points if possible. It's easier and tax is taken off immediately.

Love Paris.

Have a great trip.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Split bill? Get separate checks. That is the only way to keep it clean.

And remember to tip the waiter in CASH.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just make sure the places take the RC at 1:1 and not 2:1. Have a good trip!

6. vegasloverfromatl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question about CET reward crédits- I'm sorry I can't find my old thread...

Hi all,

Heading to Paris this Saturday. Woot! I have $210 reward credits from Harrahs Visa. Here are my questions and what I think are the answers. Who can help me?

If I charge my CET restaurant charge to my room, I pay tax. Right?
    If I charge my CET restaurant charge to my Harrahs CC, I pay tax. Right?
    If I pay for the ENTIRE bill at the restaurant with my reward credits (just give them my card), I pay no tax. Right?
    If I don't have enough reward credits to pay the entire bill, but use what I have and then either charge to my room or on my Harrahs Visa, I still pay full tax?

We went with another couple last year to Mesa Grill. Instead of having them give us separate checks (should have done), we split the bill and I paid for my half with reward credits but pretty sure they charged me tax. Somehow my friends bill was a different amount and less. I asked about it later at the rewards desk and she said she would email the restaurant to ask but never heard from them again.

I just don't want to screw myself. I "think" I should only use my reward credits, if I can pay the entire bill with them or save them for a smaller check at another restaurant. We are planning one expensive meal and the rest just normal so want to plan how to pay for them. Any other advantages to charging to my room vs. Harrahs card? Do I get credit on my players card for spending money at restaurants?

Who has the low down on restaurant reward credits??

Thanks!

7. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't figured out how they do the tax thing. I have paid with points at the Spice Market buffet and do not pay tax. I used points at Earl of Sandwich and paid tax. Both times I've I eaten at Ramsey's steak house at Paris I have paid with points and been charged tax but this last time we ate at Ruth Chris in Harrah's and were not charged tax.

Mark

8. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Did the tax appear to be for the total bill? Perhaps they still charge tax on alcohol?

9. Aaron5

Aaron5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tax is charged at the non CET owned restaurants and points will be deducted.

10. vegasloverfromatl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are eating at Ruth Chris's on Saturday so I will be interested to see if there is tax. I hope I have enough to pay my bill though! That's why I was wondering if I only can pay $210 in reward credits and say $30 on credit card, am I charged tax on the whole thing?

I think at Mesa Grill, they mixed us up and charged us the tax even though we used reward credits and charged our friends no tax somehow.

Is there a list of the CET or non CET owned restaurants easily found? We were going to try Guy Fieri's but I see it's in The Ling which is new since we were last there and I understand is a walkway between The Quad and Flamingo so not sure that will work with reward credits?

11. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used our $100 Diamond dinner at Gordon Ramsay Steak and charged the rest to the room. Tax was charged on the amount less the $100 only.

12. Aaron5

Aaron5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no list that I am aware of. Guy Fieri's is in the Quad/Link Hotel and RC's are good there 1:1. I think the tax was deducted from our bill.

Most of the restaurants in the Linq itself do charge 2:1 on RC's so beware.

Personally I was disappointed with Ruth Chris on a recent visit. The service was great, but the quality of food was just not as good as other CET Steakhouses. (Strip House, GR, BLT Steak)

13. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do all restaurants charge 1 RC for $1? I've heard horror stories of some using $2. I plan on using mine at either Hash House A Go Go or Tilted Kilt, or maybe/probably both. Any experience at those places would be nice!

14. Aaron5

Aaron5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is actuality $1 per 100 RC.

Hash House is 1:1.

Tilted Kilt would not accept RCs or do a room charge last trip (2 weeks ago). They are on the lists as accepting but the manager said his orders came from TK Corporate.

15. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mean 100:1 haha I'm not that dumb. Yeah, when I was at TK in July it said I could use my points but the waitress had no idea how to do it, so I saved her the trouble and just payed with cash. Looks like I'm using mine for some free breakfasts

16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

Actually, some would say it is 1:1. 1 RC equals 1 cent.

17. vegasloverfromatl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, we ate at Ruth Chris and I was able to pay our bill in full (food and alcohol) with reward credits so there was no tax! Sometbing to note, I asked the hostess about if I was able to pay with reward credits would there be tax and she had no clue but when I asked the server she said there would be no tax if I pay for all with reward credits. She also said I would only be charged tax on the amount not covered by RC's but that wasn't an issue since I had enough to cover entire bill. Saved me about $20!!

18. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You paid tip with RCs also?

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RCs will NOT cover the tip.

Some people think it does, but in the end, they STIFFED the staff.

20. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I typically just charge it to my room. But the tips don't get wiped which is why I asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.