1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coming or going Sunday, Nov. 16? Expect delays

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by gambler, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a heads up for those who are arriving or leaving that day. The Rock and Roll Marathon is going on then so the strip and Fremont Street are shut down. Last year when we arrived, it was gridlock on the freeway in spots. Because they shut down the strip and Fremont St. for the race, everything seems to get backed up on the freeway since there is no where for vehicles to go once they try to exit. The closures run till about 11 pm.

I just realized we are arriving the same day this year so will go whatever route our cabby suggests. This is not the day to worry about a long haul. :) Just be thankful if your taxi is moving. If you are leaving that day, give yourself some extra time to get to the airport. If you are coming in and staying on the strip or downtown, just be prepared to pay a lot more before getting in the cab as it may take twice as long. And be prepared to haul your luggage if you get dropped off away from your hotel.

Going from the airport to downtown last year was about $42 compared to $28 normally. It's easier on the nerves if you know what to expect. This is what I wrote in my trip report from last year:

When we arrived in Vegas Sunday night, the Rock n Roll marathon was still finishing up. After a brief disagreement, our cab driver insisted that we go downtown by way of the tunnel since taking the shorter route would take between 1-1 ½ hours. I thought – ya right, we’ve heard this before, but as we drove down the freeway towards the 4 Queens, we could see vehicles backed up at least a mile long at every exit. There must have been some expensive cab rides that night for those that needed to get to the strip. (I read in the paper the next day that many residents were unhappy as well as they weren’t able to get to work). I must be the only person ever to be grateful for a $42 cab ride through the tunnel to downtown! The marathon ran down Fremont and the side streets were roped off, so we got dropped off about a block away and had to dash across Fremont between runners. Luckily we only had 2 small bags so we had no problems.

Map of closures here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213680122329252444264.0004dcec862859222bda9&msa=0&ll=36.164072,-115.14586&spn=0.021135,0.042272&dg=feature

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is not what I want to hear! I arrive around 1:30PM but we have a limo booked and are going to PH. Hopefully that won't slow us down to much.

3. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

whole lotta canadians and a few of us montanans on that allegiant flight landing right about that time, dfalk.

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? Flight 537 GTF to LAS?

5. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm arriving on the same day also about 1:30 pm @ PHO. I'm taking the Lux Bus from LA to Vegas. The bus usually gets off at Wynn from the freeway then bangs a right into Harrah's.
    I imagine the driver already knows this (i'll be sure to mention it to him in Anaheim before we head off), and hopefully exits the freeway around Fry's and goes the back way to Harrah's on the east side.
    If i was driving, i would exit like i normally do at the old Glass Pool Inn.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good advice. I knew nothing of this until about a month ago. Luckily I am getting out of Vegas on Sat the 15th. Sounds like Sunday will be a real cluster.

7. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess that explains why car rental prices haven't dropped at all for that time frame and have actually gone up from what was already the highest I've ever come across. :thumbsdown:

8. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year I was on the Deuce Bus for 2/1/2 hours from downtown. I was going to a show @ NYNY. They finally said everyone off the bus at Koval behind MGM. Luckily I left downtown in plenty of time for 7:30 show, no dinner until after.

9. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

yeah, dfalk, that is the flight. i am not sure why i had a pretty good idea you used that flight...are you part of the calgary bunch, or are you local? i am just 25 miles south of great falls.

i have admired some of your photography in your posts!

back to the topic at hand, does anyone think that taking transportation as far as the MGM Grand and then the monorail on down the strip would be a better option than others that day?

10. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 1/2 hours on the deuce from DT to the strip? Yikes!!

You just might get lucky on this trip waverunner. On that map link I posted, it lists closures and alternate routes on the left hand side. I just noticed what it says for directions to PHO. If you're coming in at 1:30 you just might skim through in time. Tell your driver to step on the gas!

Planet Hollywood
    o To access Planet Hollywood from 2:00 pm to 11:30 pm, approach from the east using Paradise Road.
    o Turn west on E Harmon Avenue to access the main vehicle entrance to Planet Hollywood on E Harmon Avenue.

I sure wish I had figured this out before we booked. We could have easily come in the next day instead. At least I'll have a 3 hour flight to remind myself to chill out. It is what it is (and the marathon is for a good cause). I wonder if cabs will be in short supply that night since they will all be on the road that much longer.

11. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason we'll probably arrive before 2 pm is because it will be a Sunday in the morning/early afternoon traveling on the 15 which is a lot less crowded. But the southbound lanes on the 15 will be atrocious at that hour.
    The good thing is the Lux bus stops at 2 places..........Harrah's and California. So if we can get to Harrah's in one piece, the rest is a piece of cake. When i arrive, i'll check out Fulton Street at Harrah's and have lunch and then walk over to PHO. I'll take some pics.
    It's a worthy cause and glad to be part of it in a small way.

12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I mentioned before I fly out of GTF. I'm local, you must live in Cascade?

Me you and kitson might have to meet up and have a beer.

13. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really drink but maybe one Strawberry Daq or Pina Colada would be fine...LOL. I'll probably be wearing a Red Sox cap.

14. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

nice to know that getting there at 1:30 might let us sneak in ahead of the traffic. i am actually staying at harrahs, but if i can get as far as mgm, then i know i can at least get on the monorail. now we just have to rely on allegiant to be on time!

that meeting up for a beer or whatever sounds like a great idea. leaving now for a few days, but on return will make a specific new post in the get togethers thread for our dates.

will pm you closer to the date, dfalk, and we may just have to have one preflight in great falls!

15. Aaron5

Aaron5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like Hunter is going to have a busy few days.

I am at PHo that weekend also. I can set up a meet up at the PHo diamond lounge if you guys are up for it.

16. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I arrive at 6:30 Sunday evening with my sticks. Looks like I planned this one well! Haven't rented wheels yet. I have to return to airport on monday am to pick up someone arriving. Wonder if I should still rent on Sunday or cab/shuttle Sunday and rent Monday am???? Going to check pricing. Either way could be a longer trip from airport. Hope flight gets delayed? Hang out south of strip until late? More time to waste on line this am:)

17. Criminole

Criminole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What time will the streets be closed in the morning? Not coming in that day but need to go from dt to strip to go to a show.

18. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are arriving that afternoon on our father/son road trip from Texas and checking into Planet Hollywood. Maybe I'll wait until we get to the state line before I mention the traffic nightmare on the strip to my brother. It would be great to get together and have a few cold ones.

Mark

20. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm scheduled to be on the Strip no later than 1:45 pm for my arrival to Sin City, i should be fine. However, i'm wondering what time they plan on having the streets closed. The start of the race commences at 2:30. I'll be arriving at Harrah's before 2 pm, and we're supposed to get off the 15 freeway at Desert Inn, cross LV Blvd, then hit Harrah's on the back side.
    Wondering if LV Blvd will be closed to traffic well before then. Maybe bypassing LV Blvd altogether and staying on the East side starting at Blue Mountain Rd. and THEN go North.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.