PDA

View Full Version : do you need to take out earrings for airport security

user3657
04-02-2011, 02:10 AM
i recently got my ears pierced....Do I need to remove them? I am not very good at putting them back in with out a mirror.

user3657
04-02-2011, 02:12 AM
or, really my question is if I do wear them and the beeper goes off, does that mean I will get searched? I dont care if they wave the wond and figure out what made it beep, but I dont want to have to get searched and stuff.

MTMONGO
04-02-2011, 06:01 AM
No you do not need to remove them. My wife has never had a problem with her body jewelry.:D

LadyRose
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Last time I went thru they asked me if i had earrings on. But I didnt sorry. Not sure if I would need to remove them.

HoyaHeel
04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
You can set the sensitivity of scanners. After 9/11, that sensitivity was increased. Which is why I now take off all my jewelry (whereas before I never did). I haven't set any off since I started doing that - and I usually am wearing metal underwire bras. Other women say their bras set off scanners all the time - and I wonder if it's because they have their jewelry on as well -therefore the cumulative effect is stronger than for me.

My advice would be - if you're going to leave your earrings in, make sure you remove all other metal if possible.

As for the scanning, wanding, searching- hard to say what will happen because no matter what the regulations are, they are interpreted differently by different TSA agents at different airports:peace:

jman
04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
No you do not need to remove them. My wife has never had a problem with her body jewelry.:D

:thumbsup:

budroux2w
04-02-2011, 02:08 PM
If they are gold it will not set off the detectors.

Royal Flusher
04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
i recently got my ears pierced....Do I need to remove them? I am not very good at putting them back in with out a mirror.

No, your ears should be just fine where they are.

luvlv
04-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I never remove mine and never have a problem.

Bo333
04-02-2011, 07:27 PM
No, your ears should be just fine where they are.

LOL - good one

CathyI8205
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
If you don't wear big, dangly earrings you'll be fine. I usually wear something small for travel. I've never had a problem.

elbee309
04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I've worn earrings every time and never had a problem. But this last time, leaving Milwaukee, everyone had to go through the scanner. Not a big deal, stop - raise your arms and continue on your way. However, I got pulled aside for the pat-down. The woman doing it (and it really didn't amount to much) said that the shirt I had on triggered it. The shirt was one with quite a few sparkly things on it - typical "I'm going to Vegas" theme. Something strange that I had not heard of before was that they wiped the palms of my hands with a towelette and then waved a wand over them.

viliana
04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
No. I never had a problem. No one has asked me yet to remove my earrings in the airport security.

luvlv
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
If you don't wear big, dangly earrings you'll be fine. I usually wear something small for travel. I've never had a problem.

I have worn earrings of all shapes and sizes and material make-up, and not had any problems.